Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 57,359 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]1626 SUMMERS DR, Cedar Hill, TX 75104** [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]825 PLUMMER DR, Cedar Hill, TX 75104[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]1135 MEADOW RUN DR, Duncanville, TX 75137[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]803 SOUTHWOOD DR, Duncanville, TX 75137[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]driving time to dallas ??& carrarollton?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:51 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
What information do you want on these homes?

Duncanville is much closer to Carrollton and Dallas than Cedar Hill.

Have you seen these homes inside?

Old 01-01-2008, 03:14 PM

Default cedar area

not inside house...more interested in location,size, and year of house. do not want small yard or sqft or older hse due to foundation issue texas seems to have. calif has earthquake. ps: i have been 2 dallas 3x. this area i did not hit on last visit.plano to crowded together, flower mound to old, and lewisville to far out

Old 01-01-2008, 04:22 PM

100 posts, read 455,458 times
Either way that is a pretty long commute to Carrollton. Lewisville is closer to Carrollton and about the same distance to Dallas as both Cedar Hill and Duncanville. I think. It just depends on how far you are from I-20 or US 67 in regard to Cedar Hill and Duncanville commutes. Why not relocate to Carrollton?

Old 01-01-2008, 05:21 PM

the homes appear to be smaller and older one reason

Old 01-01-2008, 09:14 PM

18 posts, read 76,851 times
Cedar Hill has much lower housing prices then the cities north of downtown. The property values have dropped over the last few years. The schools are going downhill due to crime and the like so people are moving out and less desirables are moving in due to the lower prices which has a snowball effect. Its not the slums but its heading that way fast. I would considering renting first to see if its right for you before you take the plunge unless you don't have kids and don't care then you could get a lot of house for the money. I'm a home inspector and have seen houses sell in for as little as $47 a square foot and less. That's pretty cheap!

Old 01-01-2008, 09:23 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times
Lewisville is much closer than Cedar Hill.. if you have children, Lewisville ISD is going to be the better ISD.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:41 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar08 View Post
Cedar Hill has much lower housing prices then the cities north of downtown. The property values have dropped over the last few years. The schools are going downhill due to crime and the like so people are moving out and less desirables are moving in due to the lower prices which has a snowball effect. Its not the slums but its heading that way fast. I would considering renting first to see if its right for you before you take the plunge unless you don't have kids and don't care then you could get a lot of house for the money. I'm a home inspector and have seen houses sell in for as little as $47 a square foot and less. That's pretty cheap!
Personally, I think that Cedar Hill is actually doing quite well. In the past few years, it has attracted a lot of businesses to the city as well as people. A new open-air mall is opening there in March. For as long as I can remember, home prices in the southern suburbs have always been lower on average than the northern suburbs. It is not a recent trend. Duncanville is an older, mostly built-out suburb, so the potential for attracting businesses and people to the city is much less than Cedar Hill, which is only 30-40% developed. As for crime, Cedar Hill is considered relatively safe. Duncanville's crime rate is higher than Cedar Hill's, but it is by no means a rough or unsafe area.

Like any school district, both Cedar Hill and Duncanville have schools that perform better than others. It is quite common on city-data for people to label an entire district as "bad" or "good" without examining the performance of individual schools. Out of the four homes the poster asked about – one (Meadow Run) is zoned to an exemplary rated elementary school and a recognized middle school, another (Southwood) is zoned to recognized elementary and middle schools, and the third (Summers) is zoned to a recognized elementary school. The last house (Plummer) is the only one not zoned to at least one higher performing campus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by europe24me View Post
[SIZE=3]driving time to dallas ??& carrarollton?[/SIZE]
I will agree that the commute from Cedar Hill or Duncanville to Carrollton may be a long one. The commute to Dallas on the other hand, greatly depends on which part of the city that you are commuting to. Duncanville is bordered on three sides by Dallas and is a relatively short commute to downtown. Cedar Hill is a little further out.

By the way, while house hunting with my family in late 2006, one of the first houses we looked at was on Meadow Run Drive in Duncanville. The neighborhood was quiet and the houses were well-kept.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-03-2008, 01:28 PM

7 posts, read 49,451 times
Default Acntx is RIGHT

I would have to agree with acntx. Cedar Hill is an up & coming area. Every time I read these posts I shake my head because I know the reason why there is the urgency to usher people to the Northern sector. People continue to spread false information---without actually LIVING THERE. It is no wonder the southern burbs have a hard time getting great residents. Perhaps madness this will change with the younger generations (GenX & Y).

Old 01-03-2008, 03:31 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,654,710 times
Quote:
I would have to agree with acntx. Cedar Hill is an up & coming area. Every time I read these posts I shake my head because I know the reason why there is the urgency to usher people to the Northern sector. People continue to spread false information---without actually LIVING THERE. It is no wonder the southern burbs have a hard time getting great residents. Perhaps madness this will change with the younger generations (GenX & Y).

I lived in Cedar Hill from 93-99 and in Duncanville from 1999- 2002. I have family who live in Duncanville and have been there since 1983.. Other family who were over in Windsor Estates from 1999- 2006.. My husband lived in apartments off of Joe Wilson from 88-90. Cedar Hill/Duncanville is our old stomping ground... We loved all the business's that were coming in and saw it go from a tiny town with not much too having several business's. Cedar Hill though has it's issues with air quality which we experineced crud on a regular basis and feel it contributed to my daughter getting tubes in her ears as well as other health issues with the whole family... There
were other issues we saw with the schools and opted to private educate our child. If someone doesn't have a family history of pulmonary issues and doesn't mind private schooling, they might be ok....

I also want people to understand that we moved to southwest Dallas county because of the affordiblity of housing and the fact it was a diverse area... we loved that. Are we upset we ever moved there? No and we wish we could move back but the air quality played havoc on us and we don't want to experience that again. No one in my family has had pulmonary issues since we moved back to Texas ( we were in Florida where we weren't instantly ok but started seeing a difference and after awhile we got ok)

I can still remember worrying that moving to Dallas would start all the issues again... I was not educated and did not understand what was happening to my family and I , frankly I was on this forum and realized the issues... along with following up the links, reading articles and contacting some organziations and talking to people in the grassroots effort against all the corporations down in Midlothian, Waxahatchie and Ennis, we came to realize why we have been doing so much better breathing wise since we moved back ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas