Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 09:54 AM

41 posts, read 83,547 times

Advertisements

Having seen too many cars in the Dallas/Plano/Frisco area do this, thought I'd check with the experts, if I'm being wrong in judging people's driving habits.

Note I'm not talking about merging on the freeway, but when coming out of say a strip mall and merging on a surface street, or coming out from a community and merging on a surface street, I've seen drivers just merge in the closest lane without ay consideration for other cars coming at say 35-40 mph in the other lane. Sometimes so much so that the other car is right next to them at the time that they are merging, it's as if the other car does not exist.

Do these creatures think that since no one is driving in the particular lane in which they are merging, it would be fine? Would a safe and considerate driver do this?

It gets on to my nerves every time, despite me living here since past 2+ years.

Comments welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 10:26 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,437,451 times
Huh? It's is perfectly fine to turn into a traffic lane that doesn't have traffic in it. That's how traffic works. It is safe to do so and consideration has nothing to do with it.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:01 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
It is fine to merge into the nearest lane as long as there are no cars in it and you have adequate time to get into the lane before the next car comes. I try to take into consideration if there is a car in the middle lane or left lane (not the lane I am pulling into) but it is not a requirement as long as they are not in your lane and you don't turn too wide.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:16 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Why do you have a problem with someone pulling out into an empty lane next to you? Do you feel you're unable to stay in your lane and you're going to hit them? If so, that's your problem, not theirs as they are pulling into a safe, empty lane. You should focus more about staying between your lines than a car pulling out into the street as they are legally allowed to do.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:18 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,136 times
'Never let a good traffic lane go to waste'

Old 12-07-2014, 12:26 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Each driver on a mult-lane street needs to understand he has no rights to any space than the one he is occupying. Unless a vehicle is clearly going to veer into you, keep your nose clean and continue on! Why would there be 2 or 3 lanes if not to be used?

Old 12-07-2014, 02:05 PM

504 posts, read 800,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar12 View Post
Having seen too many cars in the Dallas/Plano/Frisco area do this, thought I'd check with the experts, if I'm being wrong in judging people's driving habits.

Note I'm not talking about merging on the freeway, but when coming out of say a strip mall and merging on a surface street, or coming out from a community and merging on a surface street, I've seen drivers just merge in the closest lane without ay consideration for other cars coming at say 35-40 mph in the other lane. Sometimes so much so that the other car is right next to them at the time that they are merging, it's as if the other car does not exist.

Do these creatures think that since no one is driving in the particular lane in which they are merging, it would be fine? Would a safe and considerate driver do this?

Comments welcome!
I honestly don't understand what the problem is.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:20 PM

477 posts, read 1,051,246 times
As everyone has said, it's not illegal or wrong or even inconsiderate to turn into an empty lane when exiting a neighborhood, strip mall etc. and I'm completely confused at why you would think it's a problem.
I am really beginning to think drivers here should be required to take a test, written and driving, every time they need to renew a license. Sure it would be inconvenient for those of us who know how to drive, but maybe it would weed out some of these people who have no clue behind the wheel.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:28 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,834,563 times
I think it also depends on how heavy traffic is at that time. If there is only one car on the road, I usualy wait until the car passes before entering the road. If there is one car in the middle lane for +/- 150 yards, it is kind of a douche move to turn just when that car is about to pass you. Either turn before them or after them. If it is rush hour traffic, and all three lanes are pretty much constantly full, I will enter at the first opportunity in a smooth manner at a constant speed. As long as no one makes an erratic move there will not be a problem.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar12 View Post

Comments welcome!
I'd find something else to be annoyed at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: