Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:47 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,376,003 times

Advertisements

While not a large amount- there are ways to get your children into HPISD without dropping 1M or more on a home. There are cheaper rental off Abbott, Lovers and near the Highschool. There are condos near Lemmon and Whole Foods, also near the high school and some just off the Toll Road and Douglas that come in under $300k.

Now 300k is a house budget for many, but it flies in the face of the idea that everyone is wealthy in Park Cities. Some people work regular jobs, make decent money but make good choices with their money and get their children into a good school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 04:35 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,624,581 times
I usually say Plano is "pound-for-pound, best in DFW" because it achieves top level metrics with a more economically diverse population than all the other Usual Suspects (save for Pearce, another gem that definitely overdelivers). Yes, ethnic/racial diversity usually correlates with economic diversity for many reasons, but the important point is that SES and school metrics have a very strong relation, regardless of "ethnicity".

HP's economically disadvantaged percentage has been 0.0% every time I've checked, but maybe somebody there finally qualified for reduced school lunch. Carroll's percentage has been 2-3%. Coppell's is under 10% IIRC, and I think FMHS and feeders was under 5% (I could look this all up if anyone cares). FMHS has the great NMSF numbers thanks to their program but still trails the others a bit in averages.

That said, the main thing is to find an area where you (whoever "you" are) feel comfortable, and if your kid can make friends and feel happy at school, that's probably worth a lot more than a 35 point SAT average differential or whatever. A "good" school won't magically make sure your kids do their homework or make up for a failure to emphasize the importance of education at home.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:35 PM

777 posts, read 1,206,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I would give HP an F- for diversity. No economic diversity and very little racial diversity.
I agree. I would give HP an F for diversity as well. It is easily the most racially homogeneous school (public or private) within any reasonable proximity to Dallas.

In terms of economic diversity, as others have mentioned, it is 0.0% economically disadvantaged. Yes, you can lease a property within the district or purchase a run-down condo within HPISD for less than what many perceive to be the 'entry point' for the district. However, these properties are the exception and not the norm. There are only so many of these 'affordable' (this is relatively speaking), units available for lease/purchase. On a percentage basis, the majority of students are going to come from homes/townhomes/condos that are more reflective of the average home price in the district, which is HIGH.

Who knows, though, perhaps in another 10 years it will increase from .05 percent african-american to 1%!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas