Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2014, 03:38 PM

317 posts, read 840,199 times

Advertisements

I have a B.A in mathematics from way back in 2005 and I'm trying to switch from my current role (insurance, customer service, leadership/management) to something that is more applied mathematics and related to analytics. Based on interest, I really enjoy statistics, anaysis, spreadsheets, using software etc etc (more support roles but consulting is ok).

The first thought ofcourse is the actuarial field. I've been working towards those exams for the past 2 years and its becoming a bit overwhelming; so thinking long term, I need to make a decision soon on what to do. I've been searching online and It seems I really dont have a lot of choices.

Looking in jobs like data scientists or statisticians, these all require Masters, Ph.D's or years of experience. Im not finding a lot of 'data analysts' either.

Any suggestions or ideas? Any math majors here have any suggestions? I've thought about picking up some software skils like SAS, but there aren't any classes in the area for those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 09:52 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
You need to supplement that B.A. with some tech skills to make yourself more valuable.

MS Excel (pivot tables, macros), Excel VBA, SAS, SPSS, SQL, Python

.....all useful software packages/languages that you could learn
that would make you a stronger candidate and open more opportunities for you.

Plenty of online courses out there that are much cheaper and faster to complete then the full blown masters.

The key is learning these skills and then using them to develop some kind of portfolio that you can present to employers.

You need a way to showcase your skills due to your lack of experience in the field. Look into putting together 3 or 4 nice projects.

The portfolio will be the key.

Tech + Math is the way to go.

Other positions you may be qualified for would be...

-business analyst
-math modeler

Last edited by usamathman; 12-13-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 04:58 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semidevil View Post
I have a B.A in mathematics from way back in 2005 and I'm trying to switch from my current role (insurance, customer service, leadership/management) to something that is more applied mathematics and related to analytics. Based on interest, I really enjoy statistics, anaysis, spreadsheets, using software etc etc (more support roles but consulting is ok).

The first thought ofcourse is the actuarial field. I've been working towards those exams for the past 2 years and its becoming a bit overwhelming; so thinking long term, I need to make a decision soon on what to do. I've been searching online and It seems I really dont have a lot of choices.

Looking in jobs like data scientists or statisticians, these all require Masters, Ph.D's or years of experience. Im not finding a lot of 'data analysts' either.

Any suggestions or ideas? Any math majors here have any suggestions? I've thought about picking up some software skils like SAS, but there aren't any classes in the area for those.
1. Call up UTSW and see if the any of the researchers need statistical help. Standard normal z may be your friend he is not the friend of most.

2. Root out a very big insurance holding company in McKinney, if you can't ferret them out message me and I'll send you their info. They need actuaries at all times. The testing is a nut-buster but it's worth it in the long run.

3. Call/show up at/email etc. TI, AA, oil companies, logistics companies (you know that business is all low level stats stuff).

Good luck. I'll add more as I recover from today's Christmas Party

Don't answer in the open but were your grades really strong? Consulting companies love math and physics types - but they too want MS/Ph.D if they can swing it.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:30 PM

317 posts, read 840,199 times
thanks for all the suggestions. I'll continue exploring. feel free to add on. right now, I'm still focusing on actuarial exams so it's a bit of struggle finding the time to self study the software side. Ideally, I'm hoping for an entry level analytical/actuarial job that will teach me these things.

EDS - sending you a PM shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: