Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 AM

5,263 posts, read 6,398,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We had excellent results with Zoysia (Cavalier) when redoing our backyard.
I hope you have concrete curb or something around your yard, because zoysia is a beautiful but a really weak, slow growing grass, and runners from your neighbor's yard if they can get in and just wind blowing in grass seed will defeat it in a few years. It requires more maintenance and vigilance than bermuda or st augustine by far.

Even if zoysia is fully established, st augustine and bermuda come back from winter hibernation earlier, and this gives them a leg up on early spring invasions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 11:59 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I hope you have concrete curb or something around your yard, because zoysia is a beautiful but a really weak, slow growing grass, and runners from your neighbor's yard if they can get in and just wind blowing in grass seed will defeat it in a few years. It requires more maintenance and vigilance than bermuda or st augustine by far.

Even if zoysia is fully established, st augustine and bermuda come back from winter hibernation earlier, and this gives them a leg up on early spring invasions.
You are correct. We did our backyard, which was fully enclosed by a retaining wall. However, it still got invaded by our existing bermuda which was under the new sod and buried by sand/dirt. Lesson learned, we needed to kill all vegetation completely before setting down new zoysia sod.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:42 AM

77 posts, read 218,334 times
May I suggest you also check your sprinkler system if you have one? These bare patches might be from lack of irrigation, ie the spray doesn't reach those patches or waters them very little.

I have the same problem as you - too much shade. I didn't even try ground cover plants. I put down weed barrier, edging and made a pretty decomposed granite patio. (you can blow leaves off dc granite in the fall and the rocks won't blow away) Given that we're looking at 1x/week watering where I live, this was a good decision.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:32 PM

19,767 posts, read 18,050,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeegirl View Post
May I suggest you also check your sprinkler system if you have one? These bare patches might be from lack of irrigation, ie the spray doesn't reach those patches or waters them very little.

I have the same problem as you - too much shade. I didn't even try ground cover plants. I put down weed barrier, edging and made a pretty decomposed granite patio. (you can blow leaves off dc granite in the fall and the rocks won't blow away) Given that we're looking at 1x/week watering where I live, this was a good decision.
Thanks but I'm really handy - my irrigation system functions as it should. I tried varying water quantities and it boils down to a dearth sunlight more than water quantity.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:28 PM

102 posts, read 184,543 times
I second looking into zoysia. We planted zoysia in an area of our yard that received very little sunlight and it did well. I would think that mondo grass would do great as well. When all else fails, a lot of mulch (but not too close to your trees) and hostas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas