U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,965 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about transferring to Dallas through my job. I've lived in a major city my whole life and I would prefer to live in a smaller town outside of Dallas. I'd be working at the airport and wouldn't mind an hour drive to work as long as I can get a little bit away from the city. I still haven't decided if I would like to rent an apartment or purchase a condo, but I wouldn't want my monthly rent to go over $1,000. Can anybody recommend what areas I should look for rentals in? I'm really thinking about renting first and then if I like the area probably buy in a year or two. I'm 25 so I'm kind of at that age where I like to have a little fun, but also getting to the age of starting a family. Future Texas neighbors help me out!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 09:12 PM

11,674 posts, read 21,245,682 times
Your wish list is at odds with itself....Dallas is a major metro area with upwards of 7 million resident and covers a land mass approx 2/3 the size of Connecticut. Rush hour is bad and it can take an hour to drive 20-30 miles. 20-30 miles from either major airport (DFW or Love) puts you in the suburbs, not in a small town away from the big city. Some of the suburbs within commuting distance are Flower Mound, Keller, Lewisville, Frisco, The Colony, Mansfield, Cedar Hill, etc. Some of these will require commuting on pricey Tollroads - ie, it's probably close to $5/day to commute from Frisco and there aren't any alternate highways without significantly increasing the drive time.

Also, none of these suburbs will be fun for a single 25 year old. They are family-central, filled with school-aged kids, soccer moms, and restaurants and businesses that cater mainly to families. If you are not already attached/married, it's going to be a lot more difficult to find a girlfriend/boyfriend than if you lived where more singles live.

I'd recommend living in/very near Uptown Dallas or Downtown Fort Worth (depending on which airport) and saving the small town / suburb life for once you're married and thinking about kids

Old 12-26-2014, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,965 times
Ok, cool. Thanks for your input! Yeah, soccer moms are great, but I probably don't want to live in a whole community of them just yet. Thank you =]

Old 12-27-2014, 08:04 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,292,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

Also, none of these suburbs will be fun for a single 25 year old. They are family-central, filled with school-aged kids, soccer moms, and restaurants and businesses that cater mainly to families. If you are not already attached/married, it's going to be a lot more difficult to find a girlfriend/boyfriend than if you lived where more singles live.

I'd recommend living in/very near Uptown Dallas or Downtown Fort Worth (depending on which airport) and saving the small town / suburb life for once you're married and thinking about kids
Thats not necessary. If the OP is looking for a smaller town environment where he can still have fun, he should look at the Shops at Legacy in Plano. I know tons of young singles there and that sounds like it could be a good fit for him.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:47 AM

11,674 posts, read 21,245,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Thats not necessary. If the OP is looking for a smaller town environment where he can still have fun, he should look at the Shops at Legacy in Plano. I know tons of young singles there and that sounds like it could be a good fit for him.
I wouldn't call Shops @ Legacy - and the whole Legacy West/Stonebriar/Star development area right there - a smaller town environment. It's quickly morphing into a 3rd downtown area for the metroplex. Not much quaint or slow-paced when 2,000+ new people are moving there every month and there are 50 construction cranes in the sky.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:17 PM

655 posts, read 754,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samamba View Post
Ok, cool. Thanks for your input! Yeah, soccer moms are great, but I probably don't want to live in a whole community of them just yet. Thank you =]
I honestly think there is a misconception that all singles live in Uptown Dallas or South of 635. If your personality is more suburban, I would look into: Austin Ranch, Shops at Legacy, Las Colinas, or Addison Circle. Las Colinas would be particularly convenient if you're working at DFW. I know singles in all of these areas & they enjoy them. Some live there due to proximity to work, others lower cost than comparable rentals in "in-town" areas, and others just want to live in a more suburban setting.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:36 AM

9,505 posts, read 19,515,952 times
Just keep in mind that all of those, except Las Colinas, will require a commute on toll roads. That gets expensive quickly, and can easily be over $200 a month.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:51 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,448,188 times
Quote:
Your wish list is at odds with itself....Dallas is a major metro area with upwards of 7 million resident and covers a land mass approx 2/3 the size of Connecticut. Rush hour is bad and it can take an hour to drive 20-30 miles. 20-30 miles from either major airport (DFW or Love) puts you in the suburbs, not in a small town away from the big city. Some of the suburbs within commuting distance are Flower Mound, Keller, Lewisville, Frisco, The Colony, Mansfield, Cedar Hill, etc. Some of these will require commuting on pricey Tollroads - ie, it's probably close to $5/day to commute from Frisco and there aren't any alternate highways without significantly increasing the drive time.

I second this

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Plano doesn't offer a smaller town environment at all. It has just as much noise, traffic, and big city congestion. The sheer amount of crap that now lines the freeways has eaten up what little undeveloped land was left. It has all that, but lacks the small town charm of some of Dallas's inner neighborhoods.

Quote:
I wouldn't call Shops @ Legacy - and the whole Legacy West/Stonebriar/Star development area right there - a smaller town environment. It's quickly morphing into a 3rd downtown area for the metroplex. Not much quaint or slow-paced when 2,000+ new people are moving there every month and there are 50 construction cranes in the sky.
It's an office park, and a small area of restaurants and apartments. Very nice, but what you see is what you get. Beyond that there is nothing to explore like what you get in central Dallas. There is no little road around the corner from Legacy with an interesting dive bar, grocery store, restaurant, or a piano bar a few blocks away, just more office parks, and sprawl.

Plus, there's nothing like White Rock Lake, The Katy Trail, or The Santa Fe Trail nearby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMC_TX View Post
I honestly think there is a misconception that all singles live in Uptown Dallas or South of 635. If your personality is more suburban, I would look into: Austin Ranch, Shops at Legacy, Las Colinas, or Addison Circle. Las Colinas would be particularly convenient if you're working at DFW. I know singles in all of these areas & they enjoy them. Some live there due to proximity to work, others lower cost than comparable rentals in "in-town" areas, and others just want to live in a more suburban setting.
Most do, and for good reason! They don't want to be single and lonely the rest of their life. Most people will end up going out in town most of the time anyway, and don't want to end up with a DWI. Plus, a lot of those places are complete cougar dens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Just keep in mind that all of those, except Las Colinas, will require a commute on toll roads. That gets expensive quickly, and can easily be over $200 a month.
Even Las Colinas has tolls to a lot of places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samamba View Post
I'm thinking about transferring to Dallas through my job. I've lived in a major city my whole life and I would prefer to live in a smaller town outside of Dallas. I'd be working at the airport and wouldn't mind an hour drive to work as long as I can get a little bit away from the city. I still haven't decided if I would like to rent an apartment or purchase a condo, but I wouldn't want my monthly rent to go over $1,000. Can anybody recommend what areas I should look for rentals in? I'm really thinking about renting first and then if I like the area probably buy in a year or two. I'm 25 so I'm kind of at that age where I like to have a little fun, but also getting to the age of starting a family. Future Texas neighbors help me out!
Which airport?

Old 12-30-2014, 11:20 AM

308 posts, read 907,828 times
I lived in Las Vegas for 27 years before moving here. Let me ask you something so I can better answer your question.

What are your thoughts of

Summerline
Green Valley
Henderson
North Las Vegas
Seven Hills
Boulder City
West side
East side

Basically what part of town do you live in? Do you enjoy it there? Where do you hang out (in Vegas)

Also which airport would you be working at? The DART (light rail) goes straight to DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or