U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 04:07 AM

9 posts, read 7,488 times

Advertisements

Hello

I have been searching the message board and got a lot of information about various cities around Dallas. I will be moving from Midland,Tx to Dallas within the next 6 months or Summer 2016. I am leaving Midland because it's more unbearable than usual. I am trying to narrow down my search to a particular area of the 5 cities I am interested in. I would APPRECIATE some guidance to which city/neighborhood would best suit my needs.

I am looking for an area that I can get a 2 bedroom apartment for $1000-$1500. I would like a low crime rate, family friendly area with 15 min or less drive to get to a highway. I would like an area that wouldn't require a highway to go to a hospital, shopping or out to eat. My mother is moving with me and is uncomfortable on Dallas highways so I would like an area with a hospital, shopping area and restaurant without getting on the highway.

I am a discerning parent and am looking for a school with less than 16 kids to a room (my kid is entering kindergarten/1st grade). I would like a school with a very active PTA,uniform dress code, extra curricular activities and and afterschool program with enrichment activities (not just babysitting) and diversity.

I have no lined up a job yet. I am more focused on finding a school/place to live and then working out from there to find employment. I would like to avoid a commute but understand that commuting and highways are apart of city living. I do have job skills. I am an Accounts Payable Clerk with college level accounting courses who has been with the same company for 4 years. I contacted temp companies throughout Dallas and was told there is a market.

The areas that I am looking at are (in no particular order)
McKinney
Richardson
Plano
Irving
Frisco
Carrellton

Can you please educate me to which areas I should be focussing my efforts, any schools that may meet my needs or any other suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited by kaynew4u; 12-27-2014 at 04:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 07:39 AM

5,077 posts, read 3,772,849 times
I don't know of a public school that meets your classroom size criteria

Old 12-27-2014, 07:46 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,282,670 times
My first thought is good luck finding a public school that has 16 kids or less in an class. Im quite positive that none of the cities you've listed have them.

The only requirement for schools thats a slam dunk in those cities is diversity. All very diverse areas (except McKinney anyway but its getting there).

Old 12-27-2014, 08:55 AM

11,671 posts, read 21,236,098 times
To hop on to what the others have said, to find classrooms that small you'll need to look in bad school districts with low enrollment (probably not the best idea...) or private schools, which are lacking in most of the suburbs on your list with the exception of Plano and west Richardson/ east Irving (close enough to the North Dallas privates.)

Also, with regard to uniforms, you will only find them in private schools or schools with low income students (maybe Irving, probably not in the balance of suburbs on your list).

The state limit for elementary school is 22 students and you'll find most of the schools you're looking in will have at least 18-20 students, with some of the most popular schools overcrowded to where parents sign waivers to allow more than 22 students in the classroom.

Irving, Carrollton, and Richardson don't have any regional hospitals that I can think of, so they would require highway driving or a long drive on multiple side streets to get to hospitals in Dallas. Plano, Frisco and McKinney have large regional hospitals.

Old 12-27-2014, 09:28 AM

9,505 posts, read 19,506,212 times
Irving has Las Colinas Medical Center and Baylor Irving hospitals. I would say that Baylor is the better of the two.

We really can't narrow down recommendations for a place to live until you have found a job. The DFW area is HUGE, and if you end up with a long commute, you will not have much time to spend with your child or mom because you are spending an hour or more each way in the car.

You also need to understand that Accounting Clerk positions here are not going to pay very well, and your lack of a college degree will shut you out of many jobs. In a smaller town, like Midland, that isn't as big of a deal-breaker. But here in DFW, companies have more people to choose from, and they can be a little pickier.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:08 AM

Thank you for your honest feedback!! I am flexible on class size and the uniforms. Are there any cities within an hour drive from Dallas that have a solid school districts and the average 2 bedroom apartment is for 1000-1500/mo?

Old 12-27-2014, 12:52 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynew4u View Post
Thank you for your honest feedback!! I am flexible on class size and the uniforms. Are there any cities within an hour drive from Dallas that have a solid school districts and the average 2 bedroom apartment is for 1000-1500/mo?
Yes, almost of the suburbs on your list fit that criteria. You'll need to be selective with schools in Irving, Carrolton, and Richardson as some are significantly better than others. McKinney to downtown Dallas will take more than an hour but there are lots of jobs all over the metroplex, not just downtown.

I would really encourage you to find employment first, as commutes can be long and expensive (gas + unavoidable toll roads), and it sounds as if you're a single parent who probably won't want to be an hour away from your kids should they fall ill or have an emergency at school.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:02 PM

3,491 posts, read 5,355,136 times
just worry about getting a job first before you pick a part of DFW to live in

Old 12-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Here is my plan for moving to Dallas. As I get closer to my move date I will start visiting 2 or 3 areas/school that interest me on weekend visit. I would start applying for jobs near these areas before the school year ends. I figure callbacks can take a few weeks so I am hoping I will get interviews soon after school releases for summer. My kids would stay with relatives and I would stay with a friend in Downtown dallas while looking for work/apartments until school starts. I have been saving for this for a year and have enough to cover a 3 month period of unemployment.

I have never done a move to a big city and being newly single any advice I can would be appreciated. I don't plan on Dallas being paradise as soon as I get there. I understand I may have to work two jobs or live in a 1-bedroom apartment and may have to have a long commute until I finish my degree and start looking at houses and making the dream happen I am just not getting what my kids and I need here in Midland.

Old 12-27-2014, 05:58 PM

9,505 posts, read 19,506,212 times
You can't put 3 people in a one bedroom apartment. That's over the occupancy limit, which is no more than two people per bedroom.

You also won't find a landlord who will rent to you without verifiable income. Plan to stay in an extended stay hotel until you can sign a lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or