U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2014, 01:27 PM

21 posts, read 17,725 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
House hunting from NY and have a question about a trend I'm finding in the Dallas area. We are having to give up our half acre and big pool with diving board, and discovering that we are not going to have that there. In searching online, I'm seeing that many of the pools are described as "play pools", and I'm not seeing too many diving boards. Is this because of the acreage, the pools are generally small? What does "play pool" usually mean, shallow all the way across (as in 3-4 feet deep)? Or are they all different? If it helps, we are looking in to NRH/Keller area and our budget is around 350k.
Thanks for clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:40 AM

3,535 posts, read 6,954,136 times
Diving boards are very out of favor these days. Most backyard pools built now are too shallow for them to be safe.

This article covers basically every reason I've heard why you don't seem them any longer.

My parents' pool had a diving board when they moved in and they removed it when my brother had a close call with the slope being far too close for decent diving.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:53 AM

29,921 posts, read 34,526,470 times
Insurance companies don't like diving boards or trampolines. Big yards are hard to come by thus big diving pools are almost history (and the cost to maintain)

A Play pool is normally about 5-6 ft deep give or take about a foot. I've never seen any that are 4 ft or less.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:35 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,105,445 times
Play pools or party pools will sometimes have two shallow ends, each about 4 ft deep, then deepening to 6 or 7 ft in the middle. With these, its customary to string up a volleyball net across the middle, or have a basketball hoop on the side in the middle.

On the whole though, diving boards are a rare thing these days, unless you have a very large pool.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:14 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,954,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Insurance companies don't like diving boards or trampolines. Big yards are hard to come by thus big diving pools are almost history (and the cost to maintain)

A Play pool is normally about 5-6 ft deep give or take about a foot. I've never seen any that are 4 ft or less.
We have a section of half acre yards in my neighborhood and even those don't have pools large enough to have a diving board.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:56 PM

29,921 posts, read 34,526,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
We have a section of half acre yards in my neighborhood and even those don't have pools large enough to have a diving board.
Most older diving pools have had the diving boards removed due to insurance requirements.

Another factor with large deep pools is the cost to run pumps and filter water. Much more expensive than a smaller shallow pool.

Even though large lots do exist, they are becoming much harder to find.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the input. A 5-6 foot pool is much better than a 3-4 foot as I was imagining. My kids love our diving board and will be sad to lose it, but overall are gaining much more with the move.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,769,788 times
Insurance companies hate diving boards, but you can get around the regulation by building a waterfall that acts like a diving board. You obviously don't get the bounce, but you can have a platform 3-4 feet about your waterline and the kids can jump or dive in the pool if it is constructed correctly. My three girls use our waterfall all of the time and love diving/jumping off of it.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:18 PM

114 posts, read 140,004 times
We have a pool with diving board and love it, but our pool is quite large, so there is enough space for diving and playing.

I don't remember having any issues with our home insurance company, they just asked whether we have a pool and diving board, but never told us it could be a problem.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:04 PM

I have two kids who love to bounce, one is a gymnast, so the no diving board/deep end thing would be a bummer, but who knows, maybe we'll luck out and find one, with the perfect house in our budget, for sale in the winter. I'm thinking having a deep end would be safer, less chance of hitting their heads on bottom if they dive in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or