U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:50 PM

22 posts, read 128,891 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I live in Sachse.

I have a great 10 year old daughter, but she's getting a little too used to having all of her desires met. I need to show her the other side of the coin.

Can any of you suggest some volunteer opportunities that she and I could do together to provide some help for those less fortunate that is at least semi-close to here?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 06:41 PM

2,257 posts, read 4,183,179 times
A lot of places will require that you are with her, if they accept her at all. Due to confidentiality and liability issues, many places will hardly even accept HS students under 18.

New Beginning Center is a domestic violence agency in Garland and the volunteer coordinator is really good about trying to find appropriate opportunities for families. Possibly a toilet paper or cell phone drive or maybe helping to stuff envelopes. They have their big 25th anniversary coming up and I've stuffed the invitations for that event a few times. New Beginnning Center

I'm not sure what opportunities are available but the Collin Country Children's Advocacy Center is at Park and Los Rios in Plano. They help abused and neglected children.
http://www.cacplano.org

Old 01-05-2008, 06:54 PM

582 posts, read 1,797,218 times
Try the Girl Scouts web site. I am sure they will have something posted there. My husbands parents always made him work at a family homeless shelter in his teen years. Then I do have a girlfriend who made her son turn in ALL of his toys to the Goodwill for punishment. (side note--he deserved it, and I applaud her for having the guts to stick to it)

Old 01-05-2008, 07:17 PM

2,240 posts, read 6,499,660 times
Good for you!

The volunteer opportunities we have had, have been through our church - food pantry, soup kitchen and assembling pb&j sandwiches for the homeless. You might also want to check the animal shelters as well.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:44 PM

1,538 posts, read 4,714,222 times
I'm not sure if they are still open but Animal Adoption on Garland Avenue was run by volunteers, back when I lived in the area kids would volunteer there.

Perhaps she could organize something like a blanket or coat drive.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:57 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,673,770 times
You can check with the Red Cross also. My mother demanded I volunteer. It went like this...Would you like to volunteer for the Red Cross? No!! Yes, you do. Needless to say, I was there everyday. I hated it at first. In time I grew to like it. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2008, 09:31 PM

2,798 posts, read 5,611,892 times
My 14 yr old does community service projects with this group:
Home - Roots & Shoots : Engaging and empowering youth with service learning projects.

The last project was making care packages for homeless folks and distributing them.
They have had penpals from Ugandan refugee camps, met some of the "Lost Boys" (documentary), etc.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:39 PM

3,964 posts, read 9,297,602 times
If she likes animals, try operation kindness. She can help walk the dogs, clean around, help feed and more...

Also, if she is in Sachse, does she go to the Garland ISD? They have a good ROCK program (Reaching Our Communities Kids) by participating in extra curricular activities by mentoring younger ones. Sort of Big Brother, Big Sister...

Also, try nursing homes.. always good to go read for the elderly, speak to them, help do their hair, nails etc...

Old 01-06-2008, 12:45 PM
cj6

25 posts, read 110,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misscristie View Post
Hey everyone. I live in Sachse.

I have a great 10 year old daughter, but she's getting a little too used to having all of her desires met. I need to show her the other side of the coin.

Can any of you suggest some volunteer opportunities that she and I could do together to provide some help for those less fortunate that is at least semi-close to here?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Refugee programs usually need volunteers to help new arrivals acclimate. Even volunteering just to take a family grocery shopping once a week makes a difference to people who are unfamiliar with US currency and foods. Many refugee families also have children. If they do not speak English, just having someone to practice language skills with (talking on the phone or spending an hour a week helping them with schoolwork) can make a huge difference. Refugees literally start over from scratch so it's a great way to "see the other side of the coin" while truly making a difference. Catholic Charities has such a program here in Dallas. They also have several other community oriented volunteer opportunities available, so they may be a good place to contact. You do not need to be Catholic - their programs may be funded through the Catholic Church but their services are open to anyone, regardless of faith (or lack there of).

Other organizations that offer various volunteer options that fall under the "faith-based" umbrella: Lutheran Social Services, Jewish Family Services, etc...

Ronald McDonald House - They provide a "home away from home" for families with very sick children who require long distance (long term) medical treatment. They usually have a variety of volunteer options available.

Food Banks - They usually need volunteers to distribute food to families.

Long term children homes (orphanages), they will have a variety of volunteer options available. Our Friends Place in Dallas is one such example.

Habitat for Humanity - I do not know if they have any programs that directly involve children, but the volunteer program appears to be quite strong in the Metroplex - so they may be worth checking out.

Check with your City - they usually have a long list of volunteer opportunities or can identify critial needs within your own community and programs that offer assistance.

The Volunteer Center of North Dallas keeps a long list of volunteer opportunities available in the area. The United Way also keeps a log of the volunteer organizations they support and can help you match your own interests and criteria to the various programs.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:19 PM

709 posts, read 2,451,058 times
Metrocrest Services in Carrollton or
Soup Kitchen- downtown Dallas

I definitely like your idea and think that I'm going to do the same with my son when he gets a bit order. I agree that kids nowadays expect everything and we have to share with them the other side of the coin. We need more of this type of service for our children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas