U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 03:57 AM

9 posts, read 7,059 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm looking to buy a home in the $150K range. I'm older and it's just me & my dog now. My job is in Plano. My church however is in Denton , and it's important to me. I live near Denton now and the commute is way too much for me , plus the toll fees. I realize I want the impossible : ( a nice , affordable home ) , safe neighborhood , not too much of a commute to work OR church. But being close to work is more important than proximity to church certainly. I really would prefer to not be doing yard work any longer , meaning maybe a " patio " home , and also would prefer a one-level home . I also would prefer to have a newer home , no " fixer-upper ". Having only been in north TX for 4 years , I thought I'd ask you kind folks where you would suggest I live. I don't need to have lots of fancy shopping nearby , I don't have to worry about school districts and all of that. I'm soo tired of commuting though. I need to move this coming Spring when this lease is up . I'd love to not have to deal with tollways or interstates. Pros and cons of other communities ? It looks like the cost of housing in Frisco is on the higher end. Ideas ? Thanks so much !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 07:27 AM

28 posts, read 26,908 times
Hello ...I am pretty new to this area so can't offer much input but I wish you good luck in your search.

Happy Holidays !

Old 12-28-2014, 08:29 AM

123 posts, read 117,207 times
You might consider The Colony or Little Elm. Both would be between Plano and Denton. The Colony is closer to Plano, and might be better if you commute five days a week and go to church one or two. There are quite a few smaller, older homes in The Colony and smaller, newer homes in LE. Not sure if there are any patio homes in either though.

Both cities are generally more affordable than Plano because their school systems are not as good. But you don't care about that. If you work towards the western side of Plano you could probably commute on surface streets. Might be too long of a drive if you're on the east side though. The DNT, Bush and 121 are all tollways. :-(

Old 12-28-2014, 12:23 PM

19,675 posts, read 53,866,998 times
Little Elm has a newish section not far from 380. No patio homes but my house is in a section of 10 y/o small houses (1400-1600 sq.ft.). You can find one under $200K. There are also new apartment complexes along FM 423.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-28-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 12-28-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggy78 View Post
Hello ...I am pretty new to this area so can't offer much input but I wish you good luck in your search.

Happy Holidays !
Thank you , maggy78 !

Old 12-28-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWinTX View Post
You might consider The Colony or Little Elm. Both would be between Plano and Denton. The Colony is closer to Plano, and might be better if you commute five days a week and go to church one or two. There are quite a few smaller, older homes in The Colony and smaller, newer homes in LE. Not sure if there are any patio homes in either though.

Both cities are generally more affordable than Plano because their school systems are not as good. But you don't care about that. If you work towards the western side of Plano you could probably commute on surface streets. Might be too long of a drive if you're on the east side though. The DNT, Bush and 121 are all tollways. :-(
I've heard that traffic getting in and out of The Colony is a nightmare. I work more toward the Eastern side of Plano. Thank you for your response !

Old 12-28-2014, 01:41 PM

Thank you , SoBelleinUtah. I can't do apartments. It's good to know there are newer homes in LE under 200k . Do you like little Elm ? Pros and cons ? TIA.

Old 12-28-2014, 05:02 PM

19,675 posts, read 53,866,998 times
I live near the intersection of Eldorado and FM 423. There is chain everything in close proximity and one mom-and-pop restaurent. Kroger's is maybe a mile away, WalMart on the corner and Lowe's as well. Little Elm itself is extremely safe and well run. It would take you maybe 30 min on Sun. to get to Denton. I know schools don't matter but we are in Frisco ISD which is better than LE's, for resale. I joke that I am halfway between downtown and OK. So it's quite the trek to the museums and Arboretum but I do it.

Old 12-28-2014, 06:12 PM

123 posts, read 117,207 times
LE is going to be further than The Colony from Plano, so that'll probably take as much time as getting out of The Colony. Plus you will have to take the DNT unless you want to take 380 to 75 and down from there. And that doesn't seem like it would be a good commute at all.

Do you go to church only on Sundays? If so, and you work in eastern Plano, I would just find a place in Plano that is near work, and just accept that Sundays will be a haul. It's only once a week and there will be very little traffic compared to a workday.

If you go on Wed. night as well, or some other time during the week, that would be different.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:27 PM

Thanks again for the input. Yes , I generally am at church more than once a week. If I had my " druthers" , I'd live 5 minutes from church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas