U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 03:27 PM

23,658 posts, read 31,438,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I notice this a lot with some people who live in Uptown. There are people who live in Uptown who will rarely leave Uptown. You are right, to a person who lives in Uptown and rarely leaves it, Richardson is like Siberia.
Meh *shrug* If it makes 'em happy.

Uptown's not really my scene. Neither is Richardson, but it's more "me" than Uptown is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 03:35 PM

385 posts, read 337,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Meh *shrug* If it makes 'em happy.

Uptown's not really my scene. Neither is Richardson, but it's more "me" than Uptown is!
Not to go off-topic, but I'm still trying to figure out what's "me". I've been in Uptown for almost 2 years now and I'm ready to go. The whole bar/club scene got extremely old to me after a few months. The good thing is that I can walk to work.

I'm starting to learn that I appreciate vibrant, yet laid back areas (if that makes sense), with access to trails, parks, or some kind open space. I know other people my age (23-27) that have no plans of ever leaving Uptown at all.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:38 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,902,399 times
I had lots of plans at that age too, lol.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:39 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,413,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
Not to go off-topic, but I'm still trying to figure out what's "me". I've been in Uptown for almost 2 years now and I'm ready to go. The whole bar/club scene got old to me after a few months. The good thing is that I can walk to work.

I'm starting to learn that I appreciate vibrant, yet laid back areas (if that makes sense), with access to trails, parks, or some kind open space. I know other people my age (23-27) that have no plans of ever leaving Uptown at all.
I think you'd like the east Dallas area around Lakewood. Still close to work, vibrant but fairly laid back, White Rock is right there, not OVERLY crowded. I know if my wife and I were without children, we would strongly consider making it our forever home.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:40 PM

23,658 posts, read 31,438,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
Not to go off-topic, but I'm still trying to figure out what's "me". I've been in Uptown for almost 2 years now and I'm ready to go. The whole bar/club scene got old to me after a few months. The good thing is that I can walk to work.

That attitude reminds me of 99% of the people I went to college with who swore they'd "never leave Austin."

(Most did.)

I'm not a good person to ask about urban Dallas proper; when I was growing up, there was hardly any such thing. At least no such thing that was reasonably safe. (I never found any one area of DFW that I liked; I actually do not like north Texas and will move ASAP when my older relatives have passed away.)

Old 12-29-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
I had lots of plans at that age too, lol.
Don't we all. My wife and I (25/28) have so many things going through our heads on what to do, where to move, what schools are good enough, what is too much house, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes I wish there was a manual.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
(I never found any one area of DFW that I liked; I actually do not like north Texas and will move ASAP when my older relatives have passed away.)
I'm with you there. We'd love to be around more nature and out in the open. Family is the only think keeping us in Dallas....job opportunities as well.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:54 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,902,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Don't we all. My wife and I (25/28) have so many things going through our heads on what to do, where to move, what schools are good enough, what is too much house, etc. etc. etc. Sometimes I wish there was a manual.
Mine were more like how many WSP shows should I go to, or is it time to buckle down on my career?

Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 PM

385 posts, read 337,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I think you'd like the east Dallas area around Lakewood. Still close to work, vibrant but fairly laid back, White Rock is right there, not OVERLY crowded. I know if my wife and I were without children, we would strongly consider making it our forever home.
What are the best apartments/townhomes in Lakewood? ($1600 max)

I need to do some research. I don't know which area codes I should look for, besides 75214 I think.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:55 PM

108 posts, read 238,021 times
GBR!
I am from Omaha and have been down here 15+years.
I kind of know what you are talking about.
If it was me, I would look at Allen, McKinney, or Frisco.
NFM is opening 5mins from Frisco in March 2015.

Frisco has EVERYTHING, including jobs.
McKinney has a historic downtown, and some jobs.
Allen has just about everything too, smaller than McKinney and Frisco.
Frisco and McKinney are both about 150,000 people each.
Allen is about 75,000 people.

Frisco with the Dallas North Tollway is less than 30mins to downtown Dallas WITHOUT traffic, about 45-60mins in rush hour.

McKinney was voted the #1 city to live in for cities over 50K people by Money magazine.

The houses are so very close together down here. It does not seem like McKinney of Frisco are as big as they are, but when you put houses close together I guess that is how they get the population up?

I used to live in Murphy which is about 20-30K people, correct me anyone if I am wrong and the lots are HUGE HUGE HUGE, and houses not as close together as McKinney/Frisco.

Do a mapquest search for dallas and you can see all the cities around Dallas and Fort Worth. I am in McKinney, so I am PRO North of Dallas, hence Allen, McKinney, and Frisco.

I know there are others on here who live south and even over towards Ft. Worth and they love were they live. Others are in Dallas and love Dallas.

McKinney and Frisco are in Collin County and that is one of the fastest growing counties in USA as well as one of the wealthiest. I wish I had links to support my statements, but right now I do not, sorry.

I know Allen and McKinney have dog parks, not sure about Frisco. Sorry, no cat parks as far as I can tell.

Traffic SUCKS down here. SUCKS x50 compared to Lincoln and Omaha. It takes me 30mins one way to drive to work and I feel lucky with that time. That is why to answer your question, I would consider Frisco/McKinney/Allen probably more towards Frisco.

Good luck!!!
J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or