Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,389 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are newlyweds and were looking to start our lives in Arlington TX its close to dallas and surrounding cities that have alot to offer. I'm having trouble finding nice apartments all of the reviews have been negative. Does anyone know the good areas of Arlington where we can feel safe and have alot of diffrent things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Why Arlington? The reason you are seeing mostly negative reviews is that Arlington has mostly just so-so apartments.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:45 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
Yeah, why Arlington? Is someone's job there? You do want to choose a place to live that provides a decent commute. DFW is one really big ass metro. A bad commute can turn things sour real fast.

Aside from Six Flags, the Rangers, and the Cowboys, Arlington is just any one of the bedroom communities in that big metro not named Dallas or Fort Worth.

Otherwise, in Arlington only, probably something way south but you probably need to be there to shop the place.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 5,296 times
I have lived in arlington for almost 30 years. I live south of I-20 and commute to north dallas often for work. my typical commute to north dallas is 45 minutes to 1 hour.

I would honestly recommend renting a house in arlington over renting an apartment.
there are lots of rent houses in arlington that you would feel much safer in than an apartment,
and the rent would not be much different.

there's expensive apartments in arlington that are safe, and there's cheap ones that aren't.
also most of the houses around here have at least a 2 car garage. most of the apartments you only get covered parking.

north arlington is a little more convenient because it's closer to I-30 which gives you access to downtown fort worth, downtown dallas and DFW airport.

south arlington (south of I-20) is probably a more safer, family oriented neighborhood on the other hand. and also the houses are a little newer.

pantego is a pretty safe neighborhood in arlington. it's in central arlington so the houses are a little bit older, but it's mostly older retired people that live there.

grand prairie is another good place to consider. it's a smaller city than arlington and it's closer to dallas, but the rent is a little cheaper.

arlington is pretty crowded and there's a lot of traffic, but it's still pretty convenient. my biggest complaint is that there is a school zone on every street except for the highways and a walmart on every other street corner.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bks Finest View Post
I am from Wisconsin and let me just tell you how bad my experience here in Arlington has been in the past year. I came here in spring of 2012 and from there on it has been one uphill battle from finding decent employment to finding a nice liveable apartment, my experience has been horrid. I would not refer my worst enemy here, to the non-existent public transportation, to the deplorable apartment complexes and let me not mention the lack of good paying jobs. From the long distances you have to commute in stand still traffic just to get to and from a job that doesn't compensate you fairly enough for the hassle of getting to and from work, but hey a job is a job right. Before you decide to relocate TEXAS please do your research and get all the facts.
And that is exactly what you failed to do, right?

Old 04-28-2013, 02:43 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
South Arlington south of I-20 would be the safest & newest.

Though its close to Dallas & Fort Worth, you couldn't pay me enough to live in Arlington again...no way Jose.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 04-28-2013 at 02:52 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 02:49 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bks Finest View Post
I am from Wisconsin and let me just tell you how bad my experience here in Arlington has been in the past year. I came here in spring of 2012 and from there on it has been one uphill battle from finding decent employment to finding a nice liveable apartment, my experience has been horrid. I would not refer my worst enemy here, to the non-existent public transportation, to the deplorable apartment complexes and let me not mention the lack of good paying jobs. From the long distances you have to commute in stand still traffic just to get to and from a job that doesn't compensate you fairly enough for the hassle of getting to and from work, but hey a job is a job right. Before you decide to relocate TEXAS please do your research and get all the facts.
Have you checked out any of the smaller cities/metros in Texas like Tyler or Longview? We have all of the conveniences of big cities like Dallas & Houston without the 1+ hour commutes. Public transportation here is like DART or The T in Fort Worth when compared to Arlington, which has none.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:55 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,973,115 times
If I were to ever to live in the metroplex again, it would be Arlington.Whenever I lived there, the Martin High School portion was a good part of town.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,044 times
Tons of cool rental properties in your range, single family homes. There are some very cool and mature neighborhoods all over the city, but especially close to UTA and Downtown Arlington. You will love Arlington. Especially as a young couple out of College. We have a higher than average population of college grads (28.25%) than the rest of the "big cities" in the area and the state and national average. UT Arlington has 34,000 student and there is something always happening in relation to the performing arts and Division I College Sports and everything is cheap to do on top of that!

I am raising three kids in Arlington and live in the Hill Elementary District, 76013. My kids have gone through Bailey Jr. High and I still have 2 at Arlington High. The oldest is a soph at U. of Ark. and has a 3.8 GPA and is in the Chi Omega Sorority. There are some good options in central Arlington where I live in your range.
Arlington is a city of great neighborhoods, about 100, diverse and international as well. We have good public, private or charter schools.
Your will get twice the home in rental as you would in Flower Mound, Grapevine etc. and have real people as real neighbors. We love a casual life style and you don't have to check to make sure you look perfect every time you head to the grocery store. So, if your looking for a place that is close to everything and you have access to a real arts scene with authentic neighbors, Arlington is the place to be.
Also, if you live in the same city that you work, you save between 8-12 grand a year in car expenses, much less the ridiculous time spent driving from different parts of the Metroplex to Arlington. Check out [url=http://www.arlingtonproud.tumblr.com]Arlington Proud[/url] and [url=http://www.arlingtontexastoday.com]Arlington Texas Today | Things To Do In Arlington TX[/url] to follow what is happening and why it is a great city to live and raise a family.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:13 PM

7 posts, read 8,068 times
Hello every body.
Im planning to move from chicago to Arlington TX due to my son's critical health condition (he is not supposed to live in cold nor humed areas).
Im trying to see if that city is 1. safe. 2. Has good schools and 3. there are good job apportunities.
BTW, Im Arabic and dont want to go to a place where ppl are not accepting or there is some high level of racism against nationality diverse.
I would really appreciate it if you share with me whatever you know about that city.
God bless you all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas