U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 11:00 AM

19 posts, read 15,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
So true! I like to walk places and when I tell some people that, I've gotten strange looks. Why start the car when you can walk if time or extreme heat is not a huge concern? Extreme heat does become an issue for a significant portion of the year.
I lived in NYC for a while and walked every where, so I guess I assumed most large cities were walkable, good to know!

I'm just trying to avoid a 1 hour commute in the morning, but most of the Victory Park Apartments are $2000+.

Would I be able to walk to Victory Park from any of the design district apartments? I don't know the layout of the city yet and whether there are any major obstacles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 11:04 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,414,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgus22 View Post
I lived in NYC for a while and walked every where, so I guess I assumed most large cities were walkable, good to know!

I'm just trying to avoid a 1 hour commute in the morning, but most of the Victory Park Apartments are $2000+.

Would I be able to walk to Victory Park from any of the design district apartments? I don't know the layout of the city yet and whether there are any major obstacles.
COULD YOU, yes. I wouldn't want to though. I especially wouldn't feel safe with my wife walking by herself from design to victory.

Last edited by bencronin04; 12-31-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 11:12 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,824,994 times
Las Colinas is VERY SAFE; has both Irving police and Las Colinas patrol. Since this is a priority for the OP (she requested doggie friendly, safe and good public transport) I also think its worth consideration. There is a lot of activity and development going on there and many, many 20-somethings living there!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:23 AM

11,712 posts, read 21,406,808 times
Quote:

Do you have a roommate? If you could live with a 1 bedroom vs 2, you'd have a lot more options super close to work.

No, Design District isn't walkable as you'd have to walk under an 8 Lane interstate. It's not really set up for pedestrians right there.

Will you have a car at all? You've mentioned walking and dart so far....Dallas is a town where you do NEED a car. We don't have the extensive mass transit of New York (DART was set up as primarily a commuter rail, getting people to their jobs, not to everywhere...ie, there isn't a rail along Dallas North Tollroad which connects all of the upscale north Dallas neighborhoods & shopping...basically like if there was no 4/5/6 train between 53rd & 96th Streets in NYC ) and you're ultimately going to waste a ton of time by trying to walk or use mass transit- ie, running to the grocery store will take well over an hour vs 20 minutes.

We also don't have tons of cabs on the streets here; you have to call one vs hail one , even in downtown/uptown. We do had uber but it's $$$. I've lived in NYC and Dallas- in NYC I almost never "needed" a car and just used ZipCar for the few times a year I did need one. Here, I wouldn't make it 2 days without a car.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:53 PM

198 posts, read 197,449 times
Quote:

You could but I wouldn't recommend after dark. It's a lot better than it used to be but not quite there yet.

Take a look at Magnolia Station Lofts (They usually stay pretty full but you may get lucky)
It's at the end of Victory Park right at the entrance to the Katy Trail

Also, take a look at the NorthEnd Apartments in Victory Park. They should have 2 bedrooms within your price range, safe and a short walk to any of the offices in VP.

Northend | Apartments for Rent in Dallas, TX

Old 12-31-2014, 01:41 PM

3,289 posts, read 1,811,405 times
Quote:

That would be normal thinking coming from New York City if you haven't traveled to the some of the big cities in the Sun Belt. For the purposes of the next few sentences, I'm thinking of Dallas, Phoenix, and Metro Los Angeles. Big cities in the Sun Belt had explosive population growth after the invention of the automobile and some Sun Belt cities didn't grow until air conditioning became widely available (Phoenix best fits that description, though it probably helped Dallas too). New York and Boston were populous before the automobile and air conditioning.

New York is meant to be far more walkable than the Sun Belt cities. In Dallas, even the most walkable neighborhoods are not particularly walkable. You would need a car even if you lived in Uptown, which is routinely cited on this board as a walkable neighborhood (to its credit, Uptown has a degree of walkability that is better than a lot of other neighborhoods in the Dallas area).

It isn't an ideal walk from Victory Park to the Design District apartment because you cross Interstate 35.

Some of the Central Dallas apartments are the priciest ones in the city because of proximity to major employment hubs and young professional oriented nightlife.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Do you have a roommate? If you could live with a 1 bedroom vs 2, you'd have a lot more options super close to work.

No, Design District isn't walkable as you'd have to walk under an 8 Lane interstate. It's not really set up for pedestrians right there.

Will you have a car at all? You've mentioned walking and dart so far....Dallas is a town where you do NEED a car. We don't have the extensive mass transit of New York (DART was set up as primarily a commuter rail, getting people to their jobs, not to everywhere...ie, there isn't a rail along Dallas North Tollroad which connects all of the upscale north Dallas neighborhoods & shopping...basically like if there was no 4/5/6 train between 53rd & 96th Streets in NYC ) and you're ultimately going to waste a ton of time by trying to walk or use mass transit- ie, running to the grocery store will take well over an hour vs 20 minutes.

We also don't have tons of cabs on the streets here; you have to call one vs hail one , even in downtown/uptown. We do had uber but it's $$$. I've lived in NYC and Dallas- in NYC I almost never "needed" a car and just used ZipCar for the few times a year I did need one. Here, I wouldn't make it 2 days without a car.
I will have a car, I was just trying to avoid driving to work and getting stuck in traffic. I don't mind driving to the grocery store, etc. I'm looking for a convenient commute, I have heard that driving in rush hour can be horrible.

I don't need to be in a super trendy neighborhood as long as the commute is decent and the place is safe.

How is the commute from las colinas? I'll only be leasing for a while so if I don't like it I could always move in a year.

Is there anything at all walkable to victory or would it be better to look somewhere further out along the DART? I'm really open at this point and at least want to have an idea of where to look when I come visit.

Thanks for the help so far!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:20 PM

3,289 posts, read 1,811,405 times
If I were in your position, I would look at The Village before looking at Las Colinas. The Village is usually a good option for those who can't necessarily find a good fit within Uptown. Before Uptown got revitalized, The Village was the primary destination in Dallas for the 21-35 young professional crowd. It still has a good population in this age range, but it isn't quite where it was in the 1980s. The bars not being close to The Village has partially caused it to lose its luster, but it is still a good place.

Not all apartments in The Village allow pets. About half of them do. For your original criteria, Northbridge is probably the best fit, as it is one that allows pets. I've hyperlinked prices and year built (2001).

The Village is still a reasonable commute to Victory Park and you've got a more fun, centrally-located neighborhood.

There are some DART stations close to The Village as well, but it might actually be more time efficient to drive if you need to line transfer, which is something I think you need to do if you live there.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
If I were in your position, I would look at The Village before looking at Las Colinas. The Village is usually a good option for those who can't necessarily find a good fit within Uptown. Before Uptown got revitalized, The Village was the primary destination in Dallas for the 21-35 young professional crowd. It still has a good population in this age range, but it isn't quite where it was in the 1980s. The bars not being close to The Village has partially caused it to lose its luster, but it is still a good place.

Not all apartments in The Village allow pets. About half of them do. For your original criteria, Northbridge is probably the best fit, as it is one that allows pets. I've hyperlinked prices and year built (2001).

The Village is still a reasonable commute to Victory Park and you've got a more fun, centrally-located neighborhood.

There are some DART stations close to The Village as well, but it might actually be more time efficient to drive if you need to line transfer, which is something I think you need to do if you live there.
I was looking at the villages as an option. Do you know anyone who has lived there by chance?

Old 01-01-2015, 08:56 AM

6,947 posts, read 18,824,994 times
Default Las Colinas

We used to live in Las Colinas and my husband drove to his office downtown. It is faster to drive than take the DART. He had a reserved parking space in his building. But he liked to brag it was 20 min. from breakfast table at home to desk at work. However, the drive home was worse and took about 35 min. The DART rail commute is about 30 min between downtown Dallas and Lake Carolyn Las Colinas. LC is very safe. It has fewer restaurants and activities that are walkable and I do agree that Uptown is much more interesting for a young person. But LC is very attractive and has some great places to walk and bike ride including Lake Carolyn, the Campion Trails and connecting preserve. There's also good retail and grocery stores and plenty of restaurants locally. Most of the apartment communities have social activities on premises for residents to meet & greet. And all over LC its a very doggie & car friendly environment (no jammed traffic or parking problems). It is an option, but you will have lots of great choices in the city, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or