U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:04 PM

19 posts, read 15,326 times

Advertisements

Hello all, first time poster! I will be moving to Dallas this summer for a new job. Mid 20's female.

I am looking for a 2 bedroom at $1600 a month or less, pet friendly (two small dogs). I will be working in the Victory Park area so I am looking for somewhere either (a) within 20-30 minute walking distance or (b) along a DART line that stops at Victory.

I'm planning on making a trip to Dallas in March to look at places. However, online searching is so difficult. Reviews of complexes are so mixed (either people who have a grudge against the place and rate really low, or paid employees who rate really high).

Safety is very important to me. I don't need a luxury place, but I do want something decent (not falling apart, no major pest problems (I know some will probably happen), decent management, and interiors that are not incredibly old).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 03:38 PM

11,679 posts, read 21,250,268 times
Any place in uptown, State Thomas, Turtle Creek, Knox Street area, Design District or Victory Park itself is going to be safe. Also any apartment downtown (stay north of around Jackson street....any building on Commerce, Elm, Main, Ross, etc is in a great area. Don't be stupid (leave car unlocked, apartment or patio door unlocked, walk home drunk & alone at 4am, jog on the Katy Trail after dark, befriend drug dealers or gang members, etc) and you'll likely never be a victim of any crime in Dallas.

Apartment reviews are kind of difficult to read because you have to be really pissed off to write one. If you had a decent to great experience, you'd probably never think to write online reviews.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:02 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,449,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgus22 View Post
Hello all, first time poster! I will be moving to Dallas this summer for a new job. Mid 20's female.

Congratulations

I am looking for a 2 bedroom at $1600 a month or less, pet friendly (two small dogs). I will be working in the Victory Park area so I am looking for somewhere either (a) within 20-30 minute walking distance or (b) along a DART line that stops at Victory.

You should be able to find something nice in your price range. If you want something within walking distance, then focus in on Victory Park itself. The new sky house, Appregio, Camden Victory Park, Alexan Skyline (no website?), Moda.

The Design District is really close by, and it is a little more budget friendly.

I'm planning on making a trip to Dallas in March to look at places. However, online searching is so difficult. Reviews of complexes are so mixed (either people who have a grudge against the place and rate really low, or paid employees who rate really high).

It's good that you will have a chance to visit. That will help a lot. I wouldn't totally ignore the reviews, but keep in mind that sometimes people exaggerate when they are angry. LOL I've wondered if employees actually do that too!

Safety is very important to me. I don't need a luxury place, but I do want something decent (not falling apart, no major pest problems (I know some will probably happen), decent management, and interiors that are not incredibly old).

The areas TurtleCreek mentioned are all safe, and Victory Park has a lot of events, so you'll have a lot of people out and about. I've never felt unsafe in that area at all, same with the design district. Downtown is mostly good, with a few exceptions around the West End and Greyhound Station

Be sure and check out the Katy Trail on your visit.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:09 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,385,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgus22 View Post

Kgus, take a look at DART dot org for the transmit map. Click on scheds/maps, look for the orange line - either way, or the green line north bound. The places ref'd by TC80 are on the red line. And use the little Google street view guy for a look around.

Contact an apt referral service for help in your search, you do NOT pay. Come back here for to ask more questions. You're doing good so far.

Good luck...

Aside... walking around Dallas isn't a widely practiced activity.....

Old 12-30-2014, 04:25 PM

19 posts, read 15,326 times
Thanks for the help so far! If anyone has recommendations on specific apart,met complexes as well, that would also be appreciated!

Old 12-30-2014, 04:35 PM

383 posts, read 332,865 times
I walk to my office on Pearl from the Uptown area. Takes me about 10-12 minutes.

You can probably walk to work from one of the apartments in Victory Park.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:26 PM

5,081 posts, read 3,781,042 times
I have a friend who lives at Lakeside Urban Center in las colinas (Irving) and loves it; very dog friendly with a dog park right in the complex and a walking path around the Lake that the complex faces. 5 min walk to the DART station on the Orange line that stops at Victory. There are many Las Colinas haters here who haven't been there recently, most of the posters have a personal agenda to encourage everyone to live in the city. So decide for yourself.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:45 PM

383 posts, read 332,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I have a friend who lives at Lakeside Urban Center in las colinas (Irving) and loves it; very dog friendly with a dog park right in the complex and a walking path around the Lake that the complex faces. 5 min walk to the DART station on the Orange line that stops at Victory. There are many Las Colinas haters here who haven't been there recently, most of the posters have a personal agenda to encourage everyone to live in the city. So decide for yourself.
Las Colinas is boring for most 22-27 year olds.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:09 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,385,204 times
Quote:
The places ref'd by TC80 are on the red line.
Sorry, meant orange which runs same route as red in that area

Old 12-30-2014, 06:14 PM

3,109 posts, read 1,727,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J800 View Post
Las Colinas is boring for most 22-27 year olds.
I'd say so too. I would think to be in Las Colinas under age 35, you'd have to be in an established LTR.

The only singles I have known to live in Las Colinas are 40 year old divorcees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
Aside... walking around Dallas isn't a widely practiced activity.....
So true! I like to walk places and when I tell some people that, I've gotten strange looks. Why start the car when you can walk if time or extreme heat is not a huge concern? Extreme heat does become an issue for a significant portion of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or