U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 07:44 AM

552 posts, read 731,940 times

Advertisements

Dallas, Texas Area School Information: 2013-2014 SAT Scores Ranked by Demographic Group - DFW area schools

A new post by the hard-working blogger (come on, take a bow, whoever you are!) Again the "top schools" for each group are not the same as the top schools overall. For example, Keller is pretty high in certain cases.

One reason for reviewing this information might be that if you think your kids will be most influenced by peers of the same ethnic group, perhaps you want them to live near high achievers who "look like" them, even if the other ethnic groups are doing something different.

I excluded magnets and charters from the lists below because they are not guaranteed admission to residents, and less objectively reflective of a given neighborhood or town.

Also I didn't list numbers below for the "mix" category which is included in the original blog post.

Also, as the blogger notes, "There has to be at least five students in any one demographic group before the data can be reported due to privacy reasons." (Perhaps that is why there is no listing for African-Americans in HP?? I don't know.)

AA=black, Hisp=Hispanic, W=white

top SAT scores by school by ethnic group (excluding magnets and charters)

1608 - AA - Flower Mound (Lewisville ISD)
1576 - AA - Southlake Carroll (Carroll ISD)
1503 - AA - Keller (Keller ISD)
1496 - AA - Centennial (Frisco ISD)
1494 - AA - Coppell (Coppell ISD)
1482 - AA - Frisco (Frisco ISD)
1482 - AA - Grapevine (Grapevine-Colleyville ISD)

2038 - Asian - Paschal (FW ISD)
1975 - Asian - Southlake Carroll (Carroll ISD)
1930 - Asian - Plano West (Plano ISD)
1927 - Asian - Highland Park (Highland Park ISD)
1913 - Asian - Flower Mound (Lewisville ISD)
1865 - Asian - Coppell (Coppell ISD)
1864 - Asian - Plano Senior (Plano ISD)

1704 - Hisp - Highland Park (Highland Park ISD)
1639 - Hisp - Flower Mound (Lewisville ISD)
1625 - Hisp - Keller (Keller ISD)
1623 - Hisp - Southlake Carroll (Carroll ISD)
1615 - Hisp - Lovejoy (Lovejoy ISD)
1612 - Hisp - Argyle (Argyle ISD)
1597 - Hisp - Liberty (Frisco ISD)

1781 - W - Highland Park (Highland Park ISD)
1720 - W - Paschal (FW ISD)
1714 - W - Plano West (Plano ISD)
1706 - W - JJ Pearce (Richardson ISD)
1704 - W - Southlake Carroll (Carroll ISD)
1700 - W - Garland (Garland ISD)
1698 - W - Lake Highlands (Richardson ISD)

bottom SAT scores by school by ethnic group (excluding magnets and charters)

1077 - AA - North Dallas (Dallas ISD)
1072 - AA - Seagoville (Dallas ISD)
1066 - AA - Molina (Dallas ISD)
1056 - AA - Samuell (Dallas ISD)
1044 - AA - South Oak Cliff (Dallas ISD)

1201 - Asian - Hillcrest (Dallas ISD)
1200 - Asian - Bryan Adams (Dallas ISD)
1122 - Asian - Polytechnic (FW ISD)
1070 - Asian - South Hills (FW ISD)
917 - Asian - Conrad (Dallas ISD)

1094 - Hisp - Polytechnic (FW ISD)
1083 - Hisp - Roosevelt (Dallas ISD)
1040 - Hisp - Lincoln Humanities (Dallas ISD)
1036 - Hisp - South Oak Cliff (Dallas ISD)
999 - Hisp - Madison (Dallas ISD)

1320 - W - Eastern Hills (FW ISD)
1316 - W - Bryan Adams (Dallas ISD)
1304 - W - Seagoville (Dallas ISD)
1220 - W - Sunset (Dallas ISD)
1168 - W - Conrad (Dallas ISD)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 08:17 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,388,050 times
I'm shocked to see Garland that high for W.

*Also I would say yes to your assumption about the AA scores for HP. The most recent numbers I can find put AA at just .04% of the student body. Take a graduating class of 550ish, that means only 2-3 AA students. When I graduated, just had our 10 year reunion , we had one AA. There was also only one in the grade above (adopted) and one in the grade below (brother of the one in my class). It's becoming a little more diverse, but that seems to be a higher influx of Asian and Hispanic rather then AA.

Last edited by bencronin04; 12-31-2014 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-31-2014, 08:20 AM

2,810 posts, read 3,567,728 times
A very unscientific and crude "give 7 points to 1st place, 6 to second place, etc." count puts Southlake Carroll tops with 19 "points", although HP has 18 and as you note, is likely excluded from consideration in AA not due to low scores but rather for a lack of enough students (which is also notable in its own way. HP is an awfully non-diverse district). [yes, I could look up HP's report, but am too lazy to do so now]

Flower Mound is third by this little measure with 16 points, and interestingly enough ALL their points come from non-white students.

I'm surprised Pearce only cracked the top 7 for white students, given their overall numbers. Keller's strong numbers for AA and hispanic were also surprising to me.

One last unusual observation - top performing Asian students have generally been assumed to drive higher SAT scores at various schools, and the totals shown do reflect that (the 1864 average of Asian students at Plano Senior, for 7th place, is considerably higher than the top score for any other group at any other school). However, the worst score posted by any group at any school is the 917 at Conrad...by Asian students. Which I guess goes to show that any demographic group can do well or poorly given other external factors.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:44 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,250,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
However, the worst score posted by any group at any school is the 917 at Conrad...by Asian students. Which I guess goes to show that any demographic group can do well or poorly given other external factors.
True enough. I would think that has a lot to do with what I'm guessing would be a much higher percentage of refugee students with really difficult backgrounds at Conrad, given that it's in Vickery Meadow.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:46 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,388,050 times
Where is WW?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:53 AM

552 posts, read 731,940 times
I believe Garland High did really well on the same list (whites) last year.

Also in general, I believe Lao and Cambodian and some other southeast Asian students (not just in DFW) usually score lower - refugees, as TrueDat noted.

Maybe Keller gets a lot of talented AA and Hispanic families who can't afford the pricier suburbs?

Old 12-31-2014, 10:09 AM

11,675 posts, read 21,245,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
One last unusual observation - top performing Asian students have generally been assumed to drive higher SAT scores at various schools, and the totals shown do reflect that (the 1864 average of Asian students at Plano Senior, for 7th place, is considerably higher than the top score for any other group at any other school). However, the worst score posted by any group at any school is the 917 at Conrad...by Asian students. Which I guess goes to show that any demographic group can do well or poorly given other external factors.
Makes sense to me. Asians enrolled in Plano or other high performing Asian schools are more likely to be the children of engineers, doctors, IT, and other challenging professions (people who have a less a bachelors and usually a graduate degree). Asians enrolled at Conrad or other low performing Asian schools are more likely to be the children of poverty level Asian immigrant families (uneducated, unemployed or working at 7-11 or similar type places). The caste system is very much still real in India & other Asian countries where some citizens are from a privileged background viewed as "worth" educating and others aren't.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:10 AM

11,675 posts, read 21,245,682 times
@walter Benjamin - I believe the person who runs that blog used to post on here a lot but hasn't been on as much in the past year or two. Not sure why.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:52 PM

16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
This shows different data: https://mydata.dallasisd.org/docs/CILT2015/DP22.pdf

Old 12-31-2014, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,916 times
I didn't know that WW is a Hispanic/AA majority school. Most pictures that they print in DMN and forums are of Caucasian kids dressed in preppy clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas