U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 01:02 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,279,643 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Will be heading to dallas in upcoming week to take new position.

Job is located near KPMG centre building in downtown dallas.

Noticed that rents in downtown start out in the $950 range for studios.

Have also noticed that rents can be considerably cheaper outside of the downtown area.

I have found 1BR's as low as $550 in north dallas.

If I were to move to a cheaper apartment I could stack away a nice lump of money each month.

However, if I move downtown I would not be able to save more than $100 a month.

Just want to get your opinions on whether or not you think living in downtown is worth the cost?

My issue is deciding between convenience vs. saving more money.

Thanks all.

Last edited by usamathman; 01-02-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 01:05 PM

931 posts, read 1,746,584 times
Be very careful low rent usually means a very nasty location.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:18 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,451,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete53FR View Post
Be very careful low rent usually means a very nasty location.
^This!

I made this mistake. I rented a room from someone in a nice home in Far North Dallas which was great, but decided with rent so low in the area, I should just get my own place. The apartments up there look so nice and they were so cheap! It was my last year in college and I had a good job in Plano, so the location I thought was perfect! Biggest mistake I ever made, those apartments are cheap for a reason

I lived on Vail St. north of Addison, south of George Bush. I did not know the area well, and didn't like it at all after living in an apartment. I was spending almost all my free time down in Oak Lawn, so I was on the tollway a lot, which gets expensive! The cheap rent wasn't worth all the headaches, and I don't recommend that area at all. The apartments along 635 are even worse, from what I hear.

I would at least try downtown for a while. I personally love downtown, and there's just a lot more going on down there. Plus, your commuting expenses will be cheap

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 02-02-2015 at 10:36 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 01:24 PM

23,624 posts, read 31,208,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hello all,

Will be heading to dallas in upcoming week to take new position.

Job is located near KPMG centre building in downtown dallas.

Noticed that rents in downtown start out in the $950 range for studios.

Have also noticed that rents can be considerably cheaper outside of the downtown area.

I have found 1BR's as low as $550 in north dallas.

If I were to move to a cheaper apartment I could stack away a nice lump of money each month.

However, if I move downtown I would not be able to save more than $100 a month. I can handle a $1000 a month payment but I would not be able to save anything.

Just want to get your opinions on whether or not you think living in downtown is worth the cost?

My issue is deciding between convenience of being 5-10 mins of work vs. being able to save more money.

Thanks all.
You don't want to live anywhere you can get a 1BR for $550. Those are cheap for so many reasons, and most of them would be dealbreakers.

Try downtown for a year. If you hate it, you can always move later. Or you could look around The Village or a complex near a DART rail station and still save on rent and commuting costs.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:28 PM

293 posts, read 751,376 times
I work near the KPMG building and many of my coworkers live near downtown. In general I would not get someplace that cheap. What my coworkers who live downtown do is rent more expensive apartments and get roommates, so it works out to be about $700 per person.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:40 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,279,643 times
Excellent comments. Very helpful. Thank you.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:42 PM

385 posts, read 333,726 times
There are one bedroom apartments available in downtown for $1000-$1050 a month.

I think Jefferson @ Ross has a few. That's the first that came to mind but there are more.

I live in Uptown and I save around $150 a month in gas by walking 10 minutes to work.

Old 01-02-2015, 02:02 PM

11,682 posts, read 21,274,228 times
There are several really bad neighborhoods in North Dallas (around Spring Valley/Montfort, Webb Chapel/Northwest Hwy, Forest/635, and the whole area between Northwest Hwy/Greenville/Walnut Hill/Abrams). I imagine the $550 1 bedroom you found is located in one of those neighborhoods. You don't want to live there- it's not worth saving money to be in the crossfire of drugs traffic, gangs, violent crime, etc.

However, if a $900 apartment only leaves you with $100 left over to safe, you do need to live somewhere less expensive...because, let's face it, unexpected $100 spends come up often throughout the year (car maintance, doctor copays, etc). I would look at the older complexes of the Village apartment community in 75206. You can find a studio or small 1 br in the $700 range and it's only about 15 minutes to downtown.

Old 01-02-2015, 03:38 PM

7,085 posts, read 16,924,489 times
If all you'll have left over is $100 a month, you might not even be allowed to rent something at the higher prices. Apartments want you to make $X times your rent to ensure you can make the payment if you lose your job for a couple of months. Most want you to make 3 times.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:35 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,392,866 times
Yup agreed with above. Most places want you to make 2.5-3 times rent.

Outside of downtown but still close, safe and reasonable apartments would be something like the village. You're still probably going to pay 700-800 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or