U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 7,287 times

Advertisements

I am a single, 26 year old guy moving from Atlanta to the Dallas area for work, and I'm looking for any info on where to live. I'm looking for a fun neghborhood with a lot to do within walking distance if possible, but I'll be working in Mansfield, so I am not sure how convienient that will be. Is the DART an effecient way to commute? I am currently paying $1400/month on rent; I'd like to stay around there.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 04:07 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,451,211 times
Yikes, your work location is pretty far from the types of neighborhoods I think you'd actually enjoy. To me the commute from Dallas to Mansfield would be totally worth it. I couldnt fathom the idea of living there or in nearby Arlington, and I just dont like Fort Worth (too boring). Unfortunately, Mansfield and Arlington are not DART member cities, so your commute would be by car.

Maybe Look into North Oak Cliff (75208) section of Dallas. Especially around the Bishop Arts District.
Apartment Rental in Dallas - Alexan Trinity Apartments
The View at Kessler Park - Apartment Homes in Dallas, TX
Bell Bishop Arts | dallas/bell-bishop-arts/mobi/index | Apartments for Rent in Dallas, TX
Zang Triangle Apartments in Dallas, TX | Dallas Apartments for Rent

Old 01-02-2015, 04:31 PM

11,681 posts, read 21,268,360 times
You need to live in Fort Worth, not Dallas. Fort Worth is awesome and lots of young professionals live in the West 7th Street/ Arts District neighborhood in the center city. You can do day trips to Dallas on occasion, but you definitely don't want a daily car commute from Dallas to Mansfield. It just doesn't make sense.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:51 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,451,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You need to live in Fort Worth, not Dallas. Fort Worth is awesome and lots of young professionals live in the West 7th Street/ Arts District neighborhood in the center city. You can do day trips to Dallas on occasion, but you definitely don't want a daily car commute from Dallas to Mansfield. It just doesn't make sense.
I have to disagree. Oak Cliff is only 5 miles further out from Mansfield than the Target on West 7th, per google maps. Plus, the commute on 287 to and from Fort Worth is pretty horrible. Ever driven on it? I have.

Compared to the inner core Dallas neighborhoods, there are not many young professionals in Fort Worth, and if you didn't go to TCU, grow up in West Fort Worth, or attend one of the Fort Worth privates good luck breaking into the cliques

It's extremely cliquish over there, and way too small.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 01-02-2015 at 05:05 PM..

Old 01-02-2015, 04:57 PM

93 posts, read 85,733 times
2 areas I'd be looking at would be Oak Cliff (Bishop Arts) and downtown Fort Worth (Sundance Square).

Old 01-02-2015, 08:09 PM

9,515 posts, read 19,538,289 times
Sadly, Mansfield doesn't have public transportation, so driving is your only option for commuting.

Personally, I'd look at the Magnolia street area just south of downtown Fort Worth. It would put you a little closer to Mansfield, and it's a fun neighborhood with bars and restaurants. Your price range should be fine for rent.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:26 PM

27,581 posts, read 45,029,595 times
My husband worked in downtown FTW/Sundance SQ and one of the guys in his dept lived in Mansfield and came in on 287--
it has gotten worse in the 7 or so years he has been living in Mansfield but think he makes it in 30-40 min
depends on time of day and you would be going in opposite direction from most traffic if you work there and live in FTW
almost any area outside of a downtown is not walkable--Texas is car-country

but you are probably one of the few people who move here who might think traffic is not that bad--
personally I hate driving in Atlanta area

Old 01-02-2015, 09:02 PM

9,515 posts, read 19,538,289 times
The OP's commute TO Mansfield During rush hour would be opposite of traffic. Few people work in Mansfield, but a lot of them live there and drive into Fort Worth every day.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:11 PM

175 posts, read 207,679 times
What part of Atlanta are you from? If you're looking to compare to Buckhead or Midtown Atlanta, then you will need to stick to Dallas neighborhoods such as Uptown, Oak Lawn, Lower (and Lowest) Greenville, and North Oak Cliff.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:57 AM

3,132 posts, read 1,736,245 times
Fort Worth is probably a better bet from a distance perspective. What you are really looking for in Dallas is in Uptown, which is around a hour or more commute daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or