U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best middle-high combination?
Rice MS → Jasper HS 6 31.58%
Robinson MS → Jasper HS 7 36.84%
Renner MS → Shepton HS 6 31.58%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2015, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,231 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from Austin to Plano this year and education is very important to me (but I'm not a tiger mom). My 5th grade son will be a middle schooler this upcoming school year and I would like to know more about the talked-about and "legendary" West Plano cluster.

Out of the three middle schools Rice, Robinson, and Renner, which has the best academics? Are there major differences in demographics? I would like for my child to be successful and be exposed to competition to encourage and motivate him to learn, but I've heard that certain schools in west Plano are too competitive. These three middle schools just seem so similar, I'm quite confused.

I know that both Rice and Robinson feed to Jasper High School and Renner feeds to Shepton High School. Could you compare/contrast Jasper and Shepton? I've heard that Jasper is too competitive, but a friend of mine had a kid who went to Shepton and she said that the school is rundown and nowhere near the academic level of Jasper.

There's just so many schools in the west Plano cluster, I'm thoroughly confused and don't know what track to choose! I want to send my son on an academically-focused school track to foster his knowledge and potential, but I also don't want to send him to schools in which all kids care about is competing with one another.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 03:29 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times
You left off Frankford.

Old 01-03-2015, 07:33 PM

41 posts, read 72,719 times
These schools are like top 1% of public schools in Texas. You just can't go wrong with any of them. Rice is usually considered Asian Central but other two are more diverse. My daughters went to Renner and had a great experience. One made it to an honors program in one of the top 50 universities. Younger one decided to take up UTD-UTSW accelerated program. Both were on swim team and had their social lives built around schools so all in all had a great time.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:05 AM

40 posts, read 28,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasdangit View Post
I'm moving from Austin to Plano this year and education is very important to me (but I'm not a tiger mom). My 5th grade son will be a middle schooler this upcoming school year and I would like to know more about the talked-about and "legendary" West Plano cluster.

Out of the three middle schools Rice, Robinson, and Renner, which has the best academics? Are there major differences in demographics? I would like for my child to be successful and be exposed to competition to encourage and motivate him to learn, but I've heard that certain schools in west Plano are too competitive. These three middle schools just seem so similar, I'm quite confused.

I know that both Rice and Robinson feed to Jasper High School and Renner feeds to Shepton High School. Could you compare/contrast Jasper and Shepton? I've heard that Jasper is too competitive, but a friend of mine had a kid who went to Shepton and she said that the school is rundown and nowhere near the academic level of Jasper.

There's just so many schools in the west Plano cluster, I'm thoroughly confused and don't know what track to choose! I want to send my son on an academically-focused school track to foster his knowledge and potential, but I also don't want to send him to schools in which all kids care about is competing with one another.
Jasper is tough but will prepare the kids for good. Even Clark/Shepton is NO match for Jasper. So are Vines/McMillen High. Jasper does it in a totally different way. AS much as I have understood, each of these schools 'customize' their levels according to the school population and their academic capabilities. Not all Junior High Schools in Plano are the same. Neither do they follow exact same calender week by week nor do each school teach at the same depth. Also it's tougher to get a 95 in Jasper than scoring 97 in Clark/Vines/McMillen/Shepton.
And that also motivates Jasper kids t work even harder to score above 95.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:43 PM

127 posts, read 105,413 times
Plano West grad recognized for dementia research - Plano Star Courier - Star Local Media
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or