U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 AM

7,281 posts, read 8,112,371 times

Advertisements

My mom got a ticket for running a stop sign the other day. She executed a perfect "California Stop", slowing to about 1 mph but never stopping - the same thing done millions of times per week all across DFW.

Anyway, if she just pays the ticket will it go on against he insurance? I would assume that it does but I don't really know. She hasn't had a ticket of any kind in more than a decade so if deferred adjudication or a defensive driving class is in order she certainly qualifies.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 08:33 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times
As for deferred disposition, survey says yes. A couple that specifically cite "running a stop sign" as eligible:

Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - Court and Detention Services

City of Carrollton, Texas : Deferred Disposition

Most cities instead list the violations that are NOT eligible. I didn't see running a stop sign on any city's "no go for deferred disposition" list.

--

Old 01-05-2015, 09:16 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,101,075 times
Yes it will show up for insurance, but it probably wouldn't do anything to her rates. My wife got ticketed for that about two years ago, it didn't affect our rates, but it did show up when we had to renew the next year.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:19 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,730,452 times
You should be able to do deferred no problem. You don't even need a lawyer, just go to the courthouse and the court clerk can walk you through it, and it shouldn't take very long. I believe in Dallas the probationary period is only a day or two.

Old 01-05-2015, 09:50 AM

505 posts, read 702,390 times
I've said before in multiple threads on this subject. If you pay a fine on a basic traffic ticket straight up without using easy options like deferred disposition, defensive driving, or even taking it to a lawyer and getting cheaper probation options, you're lazy.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:48 AM

408 posts, read 532,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
You should be able to do deferred no problem. You don't even need a lawyer, just go to the courthouse and the court clerk can walk you through it, and it shouldn't take very long. I believe in Dallas the probationary period is only a day or two.

I haven't looked it up for Dallas, but that sounds wrong. Probation is usually uniformly 90 days across the board for these things in Texas. Either way, it's easy and should always be your first option. Defensive Driving is ok and easy enough, but it's going to waste 6 hours out of your day. Just pay the fine and don't get another ticket for however long and you never have to worry about it again. It is automatically dismissed afterwards and insurance cannot raise rates. And IMO getting a lawyer for these small traffic matters is a waste of time and money.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:20 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,730,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
I haven't looked it up for Dallas, but that sounds wrong. Probation is usually uniformly 90 days across the board for these things in Texas. Either way, it's easy and should always be your first option. Defensive Driving is ok and easy enough, but it's going to waste 6 hours out of your day. Just pay the fine and don't get another ticket for however long and you never have to worry about it again. It is automatically dismissed afterwards and insurance cannot raise rates. And IMO getting a lawyer for these small traffic matters is a waste of time and money.
Last time I received a ticket in Dallas (failure to signal lane change), I went in around noon to do deferred disposition and was told that my probation ended at midnight that night.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:25 AM

2,809 posts, read 3,564,894 times
In most jurisdictions the "defensive driving" course can be done online, rather than in the old days when you had to get up early on a Saturday morning and go down to a courthouse or community college and sit in a drab room with a dozen other people, about half of whom were habitual traffic violators, and listen to some middle aged guy drone on about driving issues much like you had to listen to in high school Drivers Ed.

So, just throwing that out there.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:51 PM

900 posts, read 892,089 times
I have taken all manner of defensive driving courses- video, online, and "live presenter." I've got a bit of a lead foot I guess The presenter was actually fairly charismatic (this was 10 years ago) but it really wasn't terrible. Not sure how old/tech savvy your mother is but just wanted to let you know the in person courses aren't all that bad. The video courses required phone calls and the online courses were simple to navigate as I recall.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,551,954 times
I rolled a stop back in August in Dallas. That was a hefty fine even after deferring it.

Sucks, I wasn't in a rush, and it was really early in the morning, right as I merged onto the street I saw the cop, but it was too late. My probation was up in November. Was my first moving violating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or