U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:55 AM

8 posts, read 7,592 times

Advertisements

Ha! I'm going to mention that to my husband.

So if the only criteria were rent/mortgage around 1500 and good schools, what kind of commute to downtown are we looking at (downtown is a necessity, big law in that area are the only jobs we are considering).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:56 AM

244 posts, read 290,246 times
North Oak Cliff might be worth a look, depending on your tolerance for various stages of gentrification. The drive from most points in North Oak Cliff to downtown is 15 mins or less. The elementary school most people use is Rosemont, known for it's dual language program. Springhill Montessori is a fanstastic preschool serving Nido to Primary. We have an old school skating rink a lot of the mom's seems to frequent. Have no idea about the Gold's gym. The sub-neighborhoods you would want to look into are Winnekta Heights, Kessler Park, Stephens Park, Kidd Springs, Kings Highway and Elmwood. There is also a early childhood pta that's great for getting info on the area and soliciting advice: Rosemont Early Childhood PTA Rosemont Early Childhood PTA Home

Old 01-05-2015, 12:12 PM

11,712 posts, read 21,414,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorahatch View Post
So if the only criteria were rent/mortgage around 1500 and good schools, what kind of commute to downtown are we looking at (downtown is a necessity, big law in that area are the only jobs we are considering).
$1500 mortgage (assuming you mean PITI) yields a $200k house in Dallas WITH 20% down. Property taxes are high and will be between $4-5k per year on a $200k house.

You aren't going to find ANY single family homes zoned to good schools for under $200k in Dallas. You can barely find a home in a nice safe neighborhood for $200k with how strong our appreciation rates have been the last few years. There are a few in North Oak Cliff (Elmwood is a good neighborhood to look at), but you'd be forced to use private schools. Private schools are also not cheap in Dallas, even the Catholic schools tend to be more expensive than most Catholics are used to elsewhere.

You can find a 2-br condo for $200k. I'd look in 75214 for condos zoned to Stonewall Jackson Elementary or in 75230 zoned to Kramer. However, outside of Uptown/Turtle Creek, condos are a lousy investment in Dallas so I really can't recommend buying one in those areas. Perhaps renting could work?

You would be within 30 minutes from Dallas Galleria ice rink from any of these locations, assuming not driving in rush hour traffic.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
And thirty minutes to downtown?

It's so weird to me that I can find all of this in Arlington VA (except our rent is 1700 for a 2 bedroom, so a little higher) but not in a low cost area like Dallas.
Dallas - THE CITY - isn't low cost if you want good schools. The neighborhoods with good schools start around $350k and probably average around $500k, with the exception of the Park Citied area where it's $1.2M-ish.

Dallas- THE SUBURBS- is what people are talking about when they're moving "to Dallas" and raving about the low COL. However , they live in suburbs where the trade off is 1+ hour commutes into the city.

If Arlington is working for you, why move?

Old 01-05-2015, 12:20 PM

It's just something we're considering. I didn't realize that the low cost of living means such a long commute. But my husband hates his job here and it would very likely be better there.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:23 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,415,903 times
What is his field of occupation? You may not need to worry about being close to downtown at all, thus opening up your options greatly.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
What is his field of occupation? You may not need to worry about being close to downtown at all, thus opening up your options greatly.
She said Big Law. They're all in downtown/ uptown.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
It's just something we're considering. I didn't realize that the low cost of living means such a long commute. But my husband hates his job here and it would very likely be better there.
Big Law is Big Law wherever you are- hours, stress, politicking/backstabbing for partner promotions, etc. I'm not an attorney but the majority of my friends are...a decade after law school, only a handful are still in Big Law firms (most left around the 3-5 year mark). The happiest ones went in house with their clients and have jobs that resemble 9-6 hours most days , plus actually being able to take vacation.

Plus, those commutes are typically on expensive tollroads with no alternate routes. A commute from Prosper (where you can get a $200k house, good schools, near ice rink, etc) comes with a 2+ hour daily commute that will cost about $10/day in tolls, not to mention put 15k miles/year on your car just for commuting. I wouldn't want my husband to work Big Law hours and then spend 2 hours in the car every day, but to each their own.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:54 PM

2,444 posts, read 1,761,093 times
Quote:
Biglaw will be remarkably similar no matter where you are. If he hates working for a large law firm because of the long hours and high billables, it's not going to be any better in Dallas. Further, Dallas (and Texas in general) law firms tend to be pretty difficult to get into for non-Texans unless he works in an in-demand field or is at partner level with a portable book of business.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:13 PM

Well, it's the luck of the draw, but last year he billed 2700 hours this year and his friends at the Dallas firm say he's looking at more like 2000-2300 there.

And he does have specialized, in demand experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or