U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 PM

2,444 posts, read 1,734,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorahatch View Post
Well, it's the luck of the draw, but last year he billed 2700 hours this year and his friends at the Dallas firm say he's looking at more like 2000-2300 there.

And he does have specialized, in demand experience.
If he's that busy there, he'll be roughly that busy here, most likely.

What experience? Is it O&G or patent work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 12:31 PM

8 posts, read 7,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I wouldn't want my husband to work Big Law hours and then spend 2 hours in the car every day, but to each their own.
Yep, me neither.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:26 PM

2,237 posts, read 2,762,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
No worries. I believe the one I mentioned wasn't ice.

There's one up in Richardson called the Ice Training Center

522 Centennial Boulevard
Richardson, Texas 75081
Also at The Galleria. But, not south of 635/LBJ.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:35 PM

9,513 posts, read 19,529,556 times
Plaza of the Americas IN downtown Dallas has an ice rink. You can't play hockey on it because it's an odd shape, but it's fine for figure skating and recreation.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,450,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Plaza of the Americas IN downtown Dallas has an ice rink. You can't play hockey on it because it's an odd shape, but it's fine for figure skating and recreation.
They took it out for the big remodel

On a positive note, it's way nicer now.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:50 PM

7,295 posts, read 8,133,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorahatch View Post
My husband is considering applying for jobs in Dallas. I like our area right now, it has everything I want, and I am wondering if I could find a similar place in Dallas. I would like:

No more than a twenty minute commute to downtown.
Good elementary school
Close to a montessori preschool (I know, high maintenance)
Within a ten minute drive of a gold's gym
Within a ten minute drive of an indoor skating rink
Rent around 1K, or mortgage around 1200.

Anyone happen to know if this is at all possible? TIA
Locals help me if I've got this wrong.

Thinking about Lake Highlands.
1. The old Ice Training Center in Richardson is now Dr. Pepper Stars Center Richardson. 10/15 mins away.
2. Work downtown or Uptown. 20/25/30 minutes away
3. Are the elementary schools in LH OK/good?
4. The rent and mortgage asked for are not realistic - IMO.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:00 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,252,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastrian2 View Post
North Oak Cliff might be worth a look, depending on your tolerance for various stages of gentrification. The drive from most points in North Oak Cliff to downtown is 15 mins or less. The elementary school most people use is Rosemont, known for it's dual language program. Springhill Montessori is a fanstastic preschool serving Nido to Primary. We have an old school skating rink a lot of the mom's seems to frequent. Have no idea about the Gold's gym. The sub-neighborhoods you would want to look into are Winnekta Heights, Kessler Park, Stephens Park, Kidd Springs, Kings Highway and Elmwood. There is also a early childhood pta that's great for getting info on the area and soliciting advice: Rosemont Early Childhood PTA Rosemont Early Childhood PTA Home
I would agree with North Oak Cliff but there aren't any of the big, splashy chain gyms like Gold's in North Oak Cliff. Most of the gyms are smaller, independent outfits. The closest to a Gold's would be Anytime Fitness Anytime Fitness Gyms Dallas, Texas Fitness Centers Dallas

Old 01-05-2015, 08:31 PM

11,679 posts, read 21,258,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Locals help me if I've got this wrong.

Thinking about Lake Highlands.
1. The old Ice Training Center in Richardson is now Dr. Pepper Stars Center Richardson. 10/15 mins away.
2. Work downtown or Uptown. 20/25/30 minutes away
3. Are the elementary schools in LH OK/good?
4. The rent and mortgage asked for are not realistic - IMO.
Lake Highlands is a good option as long as the elementary school feeds to Lake Highlands Jr High (not Forrest "Ghetto"). Most houses are in $350-650k range these days, but look like there are a few corner lots in the L Streets abutting Walnut Hill for $200-225k.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:26 PM

2,812 posts, read 3,570,170 times
I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket, and I apologize in advance for this, but...

"billing over 2,000 hours in BigLaw" and "rent of no more than $1,500/month" usually don't exactly go together.

I mean, heck, if you want to live inexpensively because you choose to do so, more power to you, go for it. Personally we drive really really cheap cars because it's our choice; we could get nicer vehicles (but that would mean sacrificing some other item/goal).

But if you really CAN'T afford more than that, then something sounds out of whack. Again, with all due respect. I know, student loans, kids, etc., but still. If, instead of renting, you were buying a house and had a 20% front end ratio (PITI equal to 20% of gross pay), you'd be talking $90K annual salary. 20% is certainly not a high ratio, and I would hope an attorney working long hours at BigLaw would be earning considerably more, given the sizable downsides to work/life balance associated with that career choice.

FWIW, $1,500 PITI is roughly equal to a 230K to 240K house (with 20% down). Actual PITI will of course vary depending on mortgage rate and property tax rates and insurance and all that, but the above is in a rough ballpark. As others have noted, that's a pretty tough nut to crack to check all your boxes. That said, I wish you the best in your search.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:34 AM

603 posts, read 676,684 times
I don't think Dallas is inexpensive, but I do find it significantly more affordable than Arlington, VA. Your 1,000 rental budget is too low but you should have no problem finding a 2 bedroom apartment that meets your needs for less than your 1,700 Arlington rent (an amount which is definitely on the low end for Arlington). As suggested by another poster can also find a 2 bedroom condo in the price range that you are looking for. Property taxes here are 2-2.5 times higher that Arlington but, in my experience, the lack of income tax here more than makes up for this difference. I suspect you would also find this to be true since you are looking at lower cost properties and (likely) have a higher income (assuming this because of Big Law reference).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or