U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2015, 04:15 PM

22 posts, read 39,655 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
Just wanted to know if there are any intern/entry level jobs in IT field in Dallas area for someone who has Masters in Computer Science (from a different country) and has never worked before.
Or, what other kind of jobs can be looked into?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 04:20 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,402,152 times
You'll probably want to look for Help-desk or build-room rolls for an entry level paid position. Most people in the IT field don't obtain their masters until they have been in the field for awhile. I think you may struggle to find a position because most places may consider you "over qualified" for an entry level position. What sector of IT are you wanting to get into and we may be able to guide you in a better direction?

Dice.com would be a great site to start. Also, just a fair warning there is quite a bit of contract work in IT. That may not matter to you, but it will be something you'll want to look into during the job interview or search process.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:11 PM

951 posts, read 1,425,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
You'll probably want to look for Help-desk or build-room rolls for an entry level paid position. Most people in the IT field don't obtain their masters until they have been in the field for awhile. I think you may struggle to find a position because most places may consider you "over qualified" for an entry level position. What sector of IT are you wanting to get into and we may be able to guide you in a better direction?

Dice.com would be a great site to start. Also, just a fair warning there is quite a bit of contract work in IT. That may not matter to you, but it will be something you'll want to look into during the job interview or search process.
I absolutely do not agree with you. MS in computer science is very common to be done right after undergraduate studies. Other masters such as MBA, yes, I agree with you.

@OP - don't go for any entry level positions at help desks. By your masters alone it seems you will qualify for entry level software engineering positions that are paid higher than help desk jobs. Try even doing some internships at startups who will love your qualifications granted you don't need work visa (because i assume you may be from another country since your MS is elsewhere).

Old 01-05-2015, 07:27 PM

7,346 posts, read 8,189,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedApple View Post
Hi all,
Just wanted to know if there are any intern/entry level jobs in IT field in Dallas area for someone who has Masters in Computer Science (from a different country) and has never worked before.
Or, what other kind of jobs can be looked into?
Thank you.
1. Where are you and your degree(s) from?
2. Do you have a Green Card/need a sponsor?

Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM

172 posts, read 270,003 times
Definitely don't do help desk. That makes no sense for someone with a computer science degree, if it's a legit, real degree.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:12 PM

9,526 posts, read 19,600,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. Where are you and your degree(s) from?
2. Do you have a Green Card/need a sponsor?
That's the biggest question here.

Secondly, a true "intern" job means it is being offered as part of the curriculum of a degree program. Someone who has already finished their degree doesn't qualify for an internship.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:56 AM

495 posts, read 381,038 times
Half the people in IT have CS degrees from another country, so I would look for an entry level job, probably in a smaller company to get experience. What's the reason you haven't had a job before--marriage and kids? And how old is this degree? If it's very recent, you won't have too many issues....if it's old, you should take several certification classes to show that you have recent knowledge in the field.

You can also look into IT-lite jobs, like working in the tech department for a school district, where only a couple of people have heavy-lifting coding jobs and everyone else is maintaining websites and databases for testing scores, teaching teachers how to use district databases, etc.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:35 PM

22 posts, read 39,655 times
Thank you all for the responses.
To all those who asked about visa..I dont need a work visa, I can work. But since my masters degree is 10 yrs old, getting a break is kinda difficult. Almost all entry level or internship jobs seem to be for more recent graduates (2010-11 or later).
I am leaning towards QA testing as now I'm kinda 'behind' in terms of newer stuff...but again, most QA jobs need 5+ yrs experience

Old 01-06-2015, 08:25 PM

951 posts, read 1,425,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedApple View Post
Thank you all for the responses.
To all those who asked about visa..I dont need a work visa, I can work. But since my masters degree is 10 yrs old, getting a break is kinda difficult. Almost all entry level or internship jobs seem to be for more recent graduates (2010-11 or later).
I am leaning towards QA testing as now I'm kinda 'behind' in terms of newer stuff...but again, most QA jobs need 5+ yrs experience
Yes. That will be hard if the degree is 10 years old and you have not kept up with the new thing. Do you mind me asking whether you can connect any of your experience in these 10 years with the degree or did you leave IT altogether?

Old 01-06-2015, 10:19 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,292,256 times
I recently landed an entry level software engineer gig. Graduate with my CSCI degree 11 years ago.
Enrolled in a masters program to get back into the mix of programming.

I had a hard time selling myself to employers. Your best bet is to put together a portfolio of 3-5 projects that you can showcase to employers.

They will ask you questions about your hiatus and what you have done to keep your skills current.

Inbox me if you would like more info on company that is hiring out of dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas