U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 11:13 AM

3,880 posts, read 3,901,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I am not saying the medical education facilities are bad, just small compared to the Houston Med center in terms of impact on the docs per population metric.
It's very possible you are correct, but the Houston MSA is also underdoctored compared to the average and median of the top 50 metros compared on this list. At 301, it's still 33 doctors below average. So realistically, the Houston medical complex needs to grow quite a bit more.

Of the top 50, San Antionio is 48, DFW is 43, Houston is 35, and Austin is 34 with 303. The median & average are both ~ 335 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 11:37 PM

674 posts, read 500,105 times
Oh yes it just seems like doctors don't want to live in DFW, when the real thing skewering the numbers is that everyone but doctors are flocking to the area.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:57 AM

3,260 posts, read 5,002,360 times
Quote:
With UTSW & Parkland as primary physician training grounds, I'm curious if they count.
Another poster said it, but we really have much fewer training hospitals than east and west coast hospitals. On the flip side, the programs at UTSW are really big.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:05 PM

133 posts, read 106,687 times
This thread is silly.

Most US urban areas have a high surplus of doctors. Boston and NYC have more doctors per capita than any other city in the world. So comparing DFW to Boston is a foolish comparison. More doctors = higher healthcare costs BTW because healthcare is not a free market.

DFW has a surplus of doctors as well. Look at the number of doctors doing aggressive advertising with billboards and radio spots. In a doctor shortage area, those ads dont happen. They are all competing against each other for patients, which is why doctors have to advertise.

UTSW is a fine academic medical center, but it is certainly not a top 5 institution. The Texas Medical Center in Houston is the largest medical center in the world with 17 teaching hospitals in a 10 block radius. Nothing UTSW ever does will ever compare to that. MD Anderson is the world's top cancer center (Dana Farber in Boston and Sloan Kettering in NYC are close competitors). Texas Children's Hospital is a top 3 pediatric hospital.

Texas has had a huge influx of doctors since tort reform was passed. The Texas Medical Board cant keep up with the applications and it has created a 6 month backlog.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastrian2 View Post
With our level of uninsured, I can believe this. What I'm unsure of is if the study counts resident level physicians in its calculation. With UTSW & Parkland as primary physician training grounds, I'm curious if they count.
Residents should not count in this survey because residents cant treat patients on their own. If they are going to include residents in their survey, then they should include all medical students as well, but that doesnt make any sense.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

I know in the suburbs, McKinney especially, there's a DR's office practically on every corner.
Exactly. Inner city dallas probably does have a shortage, but that's only because very few people who live there have insurance or they are all on Medicaid which many doctors refuse to accept.

The DFW suburbs are absolutely saturated with doctors.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Johnw2,
That's not really accurate. A very well respected ranking from a Chinese University that rates medical schools mainly by research volume and quality ranks UTSW #6 in the world behind Harvard, UCSF, University of Washington, Johns Hopkins and Columbia. MD Anderson is #17. That puts UTSW ahead of Stanford, Mayo, Michigan, UNC, UCLA, Oxford, Yale, Duke, Penn and many others.

UTSW has 5 Nobel Prize Winners on staff. Last time I looked there were 0 at MD Anderson. Harvard has 0 as well. UTSW has more National Academy of Science Members on staff than all other Texas school combined - the school has 21 NAS members if memory serves and a number of Howard Hughes Medical Investigators. IIRC there is 1 NAS member at MD Anderson.

UTSW has 14 residency programs ranked in the top 25 in the country including plastic surgery at #1.

The new UTSW/Clement's Hospital is amazing.

William P. Clements Jr. University Hospital - UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas

UTSW Earns Place Among the World

UT Southwestern residency programs ranked among best in nation: September 2014 News Releases - UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas

Sorry that came off as terse I didn't intend for that.

You must work at UTSW.

Look, UTSW is a fine institution, no doubt. But if you ask me where I want my cancer treatment, its MD Anderson over UTSW and it's not even close.

UTSW has a single medical school to draw support from whereas MD Anderson draws support from 2 medical schools and 3 universities. MD Anderson doctors are mostly faculty at BCM or Rice and therefore some of their research grants will fall under those institutional names.

Baylor College of Medicine in Houston is substantially better than UTSW.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznkobee View Post
Sorry but I failed to see what the problem is. It clearly makes sense to me that dallas have less doctors than boston and coastal cities. If we have less doctors per resident than Kansas city or OKC than there is a problem. I think the problem is not so much Dallas have too few doctors, its the other cities have too many
100% correct.

Everybody seems to think that more doctors is a good thing, but it is not. Obviously you dont want people dying in the street because there's no doctors available to treat them, but once you get to a certain "sweet spot" then more doctors is actually worse for society.

Boston has one of the highest per capita doctor populations in the world. Yet despite all those doctors, healthcare costs are substantially higher in Boston than they are in Dallas, even when you factor out cost of living differences.

More doctors = more testing = higher healthcare costs.

More doctors = your cardiologist telling you that you need a $10,000 cardiac cath procedure when you really don't.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:27 PM

3,880 posts, read 3,901,393 times
Quote:
Most US urban areas have a high surplus of doctors. Boston and NYC have more doctors per capita than any other city in the world. So comparing DFW to Boston is a foolish comparison. More doctors = higher healthcare costs BTW because healthcare is not a free market.
I never compared DFW to Boston. I compared DFW to every other major metro in the US, #43 out of 50. And I accept that the US overall may be overdoctored (I don't believe it, but I do accept that it might be a possible outcome) but our health statistics don't seem to point in that direction, especially in TX.

And to counter your point, the only doctors who do advertise are doing plastic surgery & bariatric surgery type free-market cases. Maybe DFW & the US has too many of those. Again, I sort of doubt it. Advertising in and of itself serves many purposes and isn't a very good proxy for demand.

Finally, health care may not be a free market but i'm going to have to see your proof that doctors are the cause of that. My wife just spent some time in a hospital; the doctors' charges were reasonable, the hospital's charges (they break them up you know) were not.

Finally the majority of doctors don't advertise themselves. Many aren't even taking new patients.

Quote:
The DFW suburbs are absolutely saturated with doctors.
No they are not. Like I said, I couldn't find the exact stats, but someone else did and found that Dallas county itself was higher than the MSA average. Collin county also might be higher than the MSA average (perhaps even way higher). But that means other counties (including suburbs) are much lower to drive that stat down.

Quote:
More doctors = your cardiologist telling you that you need a $10,000 cardiac cath procedure when you really don't.
You can follow your doctor's advice just like you can your plumber. If you think he's offering bad advice, call a lawyer. The US is actually overpopulated with those according to salary numbers and statistcs and not due to your gut feelings.

Last edited by TheOverdog; 01-09-2015 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-09-2015, 12:35 PM

158 posts, read 140,578 times
not directly related but what are parents typically doing when their kid gets sick on the weekend. Assume just came back from zoo and while driving home, kid suddenly gets unknown problem and starts vomiting and high fever. Parents have BC/BS insurance. Mom does not want to take him home and "hope it settles down" mom wants kid looked at.

take him to closest ER ? Or local doc-in-a-box clinic on the corner ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or