U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:39 PM

17,667 posts, read 10,287,410 times

Advertisements

Groundwater wells near Barnett Shale fracking sites found with high aresenic levels - Environmental Monitor

http://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/tag/barnett-shale/

There have been earthquakes linked to injection wells in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Those quakes are linked to drilling in Barnett Shale. The productive portion of the Barnett Shale is located directly beneath Johnson, Tarrant and western Dallas counties, about a mile and a half underground. The shale contains an estimated 40 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, making it the largest onshore natural gas field in Texas and potentially in the United States.

Planning for Fracking on the Barnett Shale: Soil and Water Contamination Concerns, and the Role of Local Government - Environmental Law

In the last decade, hydraulic fracturing for natural gas has exploded on the Barnett Shale in Texas, now home to the most intensive hydraulic fracking and gas production activities ever undertaken in a densely urbanized area.

http://www.utexas.edu/news/2012/08/0...l-earthquakes/

Most earthquakes in the Barnett Shale region of North Texas occur within a few miles of one or more injection wells used to dispose of wastes associated with petroleum production such as hydraulic fracturing fluids, according to new research from The University of Texas at Austin. None of the quakes identified in the two-year study were strong enough to pose a danger to the public.

It looks like DFW is located in a very inconvenient place but it says the earthquakes are not a danger so you should be fine.

Last edited by Seacove; 01-06-2015 at 09:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:53 PM

6,190 posts, read 9,513,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I know you don't care and not to bust on your theory but there is no injection well anywhere close to the old Texas Stadium location
Do you honestly think that millions of gallons of waste material injected deep into the ground just sits at the bottom of the well? The well doesn't necessarily have to be in close proximity to the feature that's slipping. The deep injection well at Rocky Mountain Arsenal in Denver caused earthquakes 5+ miles from the well site.

I don't have a problem with fracking, but today's energy industry feels a LOT like the tobacco lobby of the 70s and 80s. We heard all about how nicotine wasn't addictive, and the tobacco companies spent buttloads of cash to discredit anybody who dared say otherwise. It wasn't until someone on the inside (Jeff Wigand) had the cojones to say "they're lying to you, and here's proof" that we discovered the truth about their shady misdeeds.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 01-06-2015 at 10:17 PM..

Old 01-06-2015, 10:43 PM

9,331 posts, read 5,833,175 times
The active injection wells are 39 miles west of Irving, I don't believe it's that. The Balcones Fault runs up 35, right by where these quakes are occurring. We didn't keep records until, what, a hundred or so years ago. My grandfather and great aunt remembered a couple that occurred back in the day. Not trying to argue, just saying it's not dead down there, never has been.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:14 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,677,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The active injection wells are 39 miles west of Irving, I don't believe it's that. The Balcones Fault runs up 35, right by where these quakes are occurring. We didn't keep records until, what, a hundred or so years ago. My grandfather and great aunt remembered a couple that occurred back in the day. Not trying to argue, just saying it's not dead down there, never has been.
There is one natural gas well near the old Texas Stadium but it's inactive.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:00 AM

7,349 posts, read 8,189,298 times
Just felt an aftershock at 12:59 AM........

Old 01-07-2015, 01:00 AM

8,882 posts, read 10,364,747 times
Quote:
No, it hasn't been dead, and there is a fault (I was surprised reading FB posts today that people didn't know that). But it is odd the number of quakes in the last couple of months, and particularly today. When that first 3.3 happened (was that November or December?) I started researching the history of quakes in the area. I found studies dating back to the 1970s showing that any kind of drilling, digging, removing oil and gas from the earth in our area can cause earthquakes. This, of course, predates fracking. It's not surprising if you think about it...existing fault, forcing gas through the earth. There is no doubt in my mind that what we are experiencing is a combination of nature and man. Just now had another!!!!!

Old 01-07-2015, 01:31 AM

55 posts, read 209,625 times
I think these earthquakes are going to be a daily/weekly occurrence in this area - similar to the Oklahoma fracking/earthquake situation that started earlier on. Take a look at the usgs earthquake map and you'll see constant activity in Oklahoma. Anyone who thinks that fracking has nothing to do with this has got to be kidding themselves.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:40 AM

9,331 posts, read 5,833,175 times
1:00am 3.1

Not sure about Dallas, but they were fracking in the panhandle in the '70's, probably earlier. I'm not kidding myself, we aren't close enough to fracking. I'd pick the 2010 Texas Stadium implosion before that.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:50 AM

8,882 posts, read 10,364,747 times
Quote:
1:00am 3.1

Not sure about Dallas, but they were fracking in the panhandle in the '70's, probably earlier. I'm not kidding myself, we aren't close enough to fracking. I'd pick the 2010 Texas Stadium implosion before that.
I'm afraid to answer this, because of what happened last time! LOL. I also wonder about the implosion, but fracking has moved eastward, and I believe they have been fracking near that fault. Hoping to hit "enter" without another earthaquake.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:37 AM

10,546 posts, read 7,541,449 times
Weird stuff. Maybe partly fracking but the drought and fault line play the major part? In which case the fracking is not the best approach. Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or