U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2015, 11:52 AM

10 posts, read 10,690 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I'm planning a move from Missouri to the Dallas area next year around this time. Just trying to get my plans in order and get some input before deciding where to live exactly. I'm a 22 year old male and I'll be attending SMU. I was hoping to get some suggestions on good places to live for someone my age. I'd like to be close to the action I enjoy going out and really just enjoy the hustle of the city. Budget wise I would like to stay under $700K to buy and under $2500 if renting. Hoping you can shoot me some ideas, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:16 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,250,709 times
If you have that type of budget, then look no further than Uptown. It's the most urban and walkable part of Dallas, lots of bars/restaurants/shopping, lots of condos/apartments full of young professionals, access to the DART light rail, and it's not far from SMU. The problem for most people is that it's also the most expensive part of Dallas in which to live.

Uptown Dallas - Home

Old 01-07-2015, 12:34 PM

11,674 posts, read 21,245,682 times
If you want to rent, find a high rise in Uptown or a townhouse style apartment in State-Thomas.

If you want to buy, I'd recommend either getting a place that backs up to the Katy Trail on the upper end of your budget (lots of modern townhomes that are newer construction) or looking in M Streets for around $400-500k range (remodeled 1920-1940's cottages). Lots of young professionals & SMU ties in both areas. Both are within 5-10 minutes of campus.

Old 01-07-2015, 01:10 PM

383 posts, read 332,727 times
In another one of your posts from yesterday, you said you would be going to the University of Miami this time next year (different university from SMU), with a $1 million budget.

You should figure out where you are actually going to school. Your posts are claiming two different things.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:13 PM

^^ Yes or SMU or A&M Law in Fort Worth. I have all three options and rather than you give my life story and ask for advice in deciding I gave what was relevant to the city I posted in. Hearing that Miami is more expensive than Dallas I was willing to spend more on living. I appreciate it though.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:23 PM

3,810 posts, read 3,707,626 times
Grad student I assume? Interested in full college experience or is college a side deal while working someplace? Planning on staying in DFW past the 3 years of grad school or no idea?

I think renting in uptown is a good suggestion. I'd say #2 would be buying a place in University Park and renting with some college-aged roommates.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:20 PM

4,060 posts, read 5,187,083 times
Your budget allows for anything in Dallas....Just go to the intersection of Blackburn and McKinney and pick any Apartment building that jumps out at you....everything is nice.

Old 01-07-2015, 05:35 PM

TheOverdog I plan on staying in DFW for law school and then if a good employment opportunity presents itself I would absolutely consider it. I really need a change of pace from Kansas City and I know SMU has a good program and I have friends in the DFW area that seem to love it.

Old 01-07-2015, 11:06 PM

7,288 posts, read 8,123,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royal816 View Post
TheOverdog I plan on staying in DFW for law school and then if a good employment opportunity presents itself I would absolutely consider it. I really need a change of pace from Kansas City and I know SMU has a good program and I have friends in the DFW area that seem to love it.
If you get into both SMU law and TAMU law in Fort Worth you'd more or less clinically insane to pick TAMU. TAMU/Fort Worth will be a fine law school in 4/7 years, it's only been TAMU law for a year or two. SMU law is fantastic now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or