U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 08:42 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,388,872 times

Advertisements

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/educa...058a175a18c4cd

Possibly a new elementary and a tear down and rebuild of tow older ones. Something is needed with all the over crowding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 12:43 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,771,167 times
Couple of items in the article were interesting to me:

1) price. I thought the cost was actually pretty darn reasonable for all the proposed changes (new parking garages, three schools, tennis centers, etc.).

2) Bond package. I am just surprised that the park cities cannot raise a huge portion of the cost. Both St. Marks and Hockaday raised 100 million each (Hockaday has 20 million to go) with capital campaigns in the last 2 years. The number of people giving 7 figures was shocking. The naming rights alone are priceless. How much is Jerry Jones will to donate if kids go to the new Jerry Jones school (there is a Tom Hicks school in Southlake I think). Yes, it cheapens the process to name the school after the Hunts, Crowes, etc. compared to the founding members of the community, but hey, if they can keep taxes down, I bet an overwhelming number in the community would be ok with it.

In addition, the naming rights don't have to be limited to the name of the school, but you can name every gym, classroom, teachers lounge, etc. At Hockaday everything is named. Yes, it is bothersome at first, but financially, it is awesome. Moreover, if you name the gym after the "rich" family, that same family will donate money to keep the gym up to date, fix issues, etc. Hell, when Ms. Hill donated money for a STEM center at Hockaday she donated extra money for an endowment to always make sure that it would be taken care of in the future.

3) Not many details how they will stage this to limit disruption for families. Timing is a huge issue

Old 01-08-2015, 01:33 PM

They were considering selling the naming rights to some of the stadiums a few years back if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if it went through or not, but it was a big buzz around town for awhile.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:38 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,771,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
They were considering selling the naming rights to some of the stadiums a few years back if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if it went through or not, but it was a big buzz around town for awhile.
I don't see a big difference between selling naming rights and driving up Lovers and seeing the billboards on the baseball stadium.

I would hire the head of fundraising for Hockaday or St Marks, promise them 1% of every dollar they raise, and watch them raise 200 million in 12 months.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:43 PM

11,679 posts, read 21,250,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Couple of items in the article were interesting to me:

2) Bond package. I am just surprised that the park cities cannot raise a huge portion of the cost.
I believe the naming rights to Highlander Stadium are STILL for sale for $5M. No takers thus far. All of Bunker Hunt's kids and grandkids have very specific trust funds - can only be used for education or primary home purchases. Several other prominent name families have similar deals.....I think giving to a public entity is different than giving to a private one for many people - less say/control over how money is spent. And quite frankly, the wealthiest HP families have their kids in private school, not HPISD.

Quote:
3) Not many details how they will stage this to limit disruption for families. Timing is a huge issue
It was spelled out in a different article re: elementary schools:
Year 1- new elementary school built
Year 2- UP (or Bradfield) torn down & rebuilt; UP (or Bradfield) students go to the new school for 1 year.
Year 3- new UP (or Bradfield) opens. The second school is rebuilt; those displaced students from Bradfield (or UP) go to the new school for 1 year.
Year 4- new Bradfield (or UP) opens. First year the 5th elementary has it's own student population & administration/staff. Re districting the elementary zones happens this year.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:32 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,795,682 times
You're just not going to see the same level of charity for a public school system. The perception is that "the government" should be funding that.

Heck, look at Plano ISD's fundraising campaigns. You could count the number of individual 5-figure donors on your hands - maybe even just one hand. Pretty much all the big-ticket donors are corporations with HQs or operations in the district.

HP can't even rely on that, as close to 100% of their real estate is residential or retail.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:55 AM

552 posts, read 732,189 times
Truly, there is no limit to naming rights. E.g. "The William E. Falik '71 Men's Room"

True Story: Harvard Law Sells Naming Rights to Its New Bathrooms, and a Berkeley Law Professor Couldn’t Be Happier | Above the Law

Old 01-09-2015, 08:52 AM

2,811 posts, read 3,568,565 times
Quote:
(there is a Tom Hicks school in Southlake I think).
I knew it wasn't one of the publics in Carroll, but you made me look it up. It's an elementary in Frisco (but within Lewisville ISD, so this won't devolve into one of the Frisco ISD popcorn-worthy threads. )

I find the discussions of PC interesting and wish them luck on their proposed changes. It's a bit amusing to me that the most expensive area in the Metroplex is also one with some of the oldest buildings and infrastructure (I know, location location location as well as the history).

Old 01-10-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
I knew it wasn't one of the publics in Carroll, but you made me look it up. It's an elementary in Frisco (but within Lewisville ISD, so this won't devolve into one of the Frisco ISD popcorn-worthy threads. )

I find the discussions of PC interesting and wish them luck on their proposed changes. It's a bit amusing to me that the most expensive area in the Metroplex is also one with some of the oldest buildings and infrastructure (I know, location location location as well as the history).
As well as Robin Hood.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:21 PM

2,811 posts, read 3,568,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
As well as Robin Hood.
Actually, it's the houses in general rather than the age of the schools that always brings a smile. Mainly because DFW is so fixated on "new construction" in most places, but the one area that is the most desirable and most expensive...has been around for a long time and has a lot of older homes and lots and history (which, of course, is part of what makes it desirable).

There's a lesson there, I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or