U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 09:39 AM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times

Advertisements

My house is less than 10 yrs old and has foundation problens. Previous owner did not care for it properly. It's lack of care not time that causes problens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 09:44 AM

100 posts, read 142,025 times
Well hopefully the previous owners took good care of it and if not lets hope my inspector does a good job and finds any issues. We went into an open house a few days ago that had all the floors ripped out of it, the agent immediately told us that they had to do 35k worth of foundation repairs and decided to just leave the floors unfinished so the new buyers could put in what they want. I know Dallas has issues with foundations and poor soil, hopefully the inspector can see nay problems if they exist.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 AM

99 posts, read 174,409 times
Congratulations on the house. We are also in Frisco between Teel and Panther Creek Parkway. We were looking at houses on 423 side but decided the one lanes are not good for my commute as I also work in Las Colinas. My wife works in Legacy in Plano so its a ten minute commute for her but for me it ranges from an hour to 40 minutes depending on the day and time. We do love being in Frisco and everything can be found on Eldorado parkway.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:10 AM

When I travel on 121 the bottlenecks for me going south is after Legacy where they have the construction for the Nebraska Furniture Mart, then before the I35 intersection and then past Coppell going into Grapevine. Those are the three bad spots in the morning. I usually leave by 630am so those spots arent as bad but if you leave an hour later its a mess.

Coming back home I usually get on Beltline at 430pm and get on 121 from there and the bottlenecks are I35 intersection and before Spring Creek exit. I leave by 430 but if I leave at 435pm it adds another 10-20 minutes on the commute time. In that 5 minutes everyone and their brother decides to get on the roads I think.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:35 AM

100 posts, read 142,025 times
Just an update, inspection went great. Only minor issues that the homeowner is going to take care of. Looks like everything is a go for the purchase!

A few quick questions for people that know the area:

How is Suddenlink internet? ATT does not offer the speeds I need to support the work I do remotely, suddenlink is the only one who seems to offer 50mb packagees

I've still yet to figure out Texas Energy companies. Anyone have a good suggestion on a quality, well priced one? What should we look for? Is the TXU free nights promotion actually good (considering my wife and I like a cool house so the AC runs at night usually)?

Best Grocery store in the area for people who hate shopping at Walmart but also hate paying "premium" prices if avoidable?

What are water restrictions usually like in the area?

Is a radiant barrier worth it to for the Attic (inspector suggested considering it to lower utility bills)?

How are highland homes in build quality? The inspector and my realtor both praised them, but I'd like outside opinions. Any issues they are known for I should keep an eye out for?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:45 PM

I would say for Power look at Reliant and Green Mountain. I would say stay away from TXU as they try to sell you a good deal like free nights and weekends but then tack on an additional surcharge of some sort to make up for it. This happened to a friend of mine.

For grocery shopping we mainly do Costco for the bulk and Kroger on Teel and Main. There is also a Tom Thumb on 423 I think. I hate Walmart and I am much happier with Kroger quality esp in the fruits and veggie sections.

Old 01-16-2015, 05:42 PM

1,980 posts, read 6,017,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagusas View Post
Just an update, inspection went great. Only minor issues that the homeowner is going to take care of. Looks like everything is a go for the purchase!

A few quick questions for people that know the area:

How is Suddenlink internet? ATT does not offer the speeds I need to support the work I do remotely, suddenlink is the only one who seems to offer 50mb packagees

I've still yet to figure out Texas Energy companies. Anyone have a good suggestion on a quality, well priced one? What should we look for? Is the TXU free nights promotion actually good (considering my wife and I like a cool house so the AC runs at night usually)?

Best Grocery store in the area for people who hate shopping at Walmart but also hate paying "premium" prices if avoidable?

What are water restrictions usually like in the area?

Is a radiant barrier worth it to for the Attic (inspector suggested considering it to lower utility bills)?

How are highland homes in build quality? The inspector and my realtor both praised them, but I'd like outside opinions. Any issues they are known for I should keep an eye out for?
Any type of aftermarket radiant barrier can provide at least some benefit. However you have to weigh that with the type and installation method used. The Reflective Insulation Manufacturers Association (RIMA) has a large amount of information to help you understand radiant barriers including after markets Technical Info | RIMA International . One very large consideration is the current condition of your attic insulation. If it is old, settled, displaced, etc., and time to replace it then adding a radiant barrier prior to that is the more opportune time. If your insulation is currently in good shape then it will be displaced, potentially damaged, etc., during the installation of these products.

As for the quality of the builder even the best builders have been subject to individually built problem homes or bad years. Unless you're seeing major problems I would not concern myself with trying to determine if that specific home was built well or not. Too many variables to worry about.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:13 AM

68 posts, read 61,415 times
Congratulations on finding a home. We are moving down there this year, from the same area you moved from. :-) Although I will be working in Richardson.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:56 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,076,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagusas View Post

Sprouts, Preston & Lebanon

Old 01-18-2015, 02:30 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
OP, aren't you going to be in CoServe's area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or