U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 2,952 times

Advertisements

With rumors going on for a while, we are finding out there is now a strong possibility my husband's department at work may be moving to Dallas later this year.
We currently live in Gilbert AZ, which is a great little town: nice working class families, family oriented, really great schools both public and charter. It's basically the small town feel with all the conveniences of a big city.
I want to move as least as possible, kids will be 8 and 9 by the summer, we will most likely be starting new school year there. Been looking at rental properties and after looking at prices, I think we would like to buy rather than rent.
Frisco and Keller keep popping up as "family friendly" neighborhoods. I'm leaning more towards Keller since it mentions there is a lot of outdoor stuff around, and because it's closer to the airport (where hubby will be working).
I guess my specific questions are how bad does traffic get, how hot is "hot", what is the school situation, are there charter schools around?
Right now my kids are in a really good charter school with a huge waiting list, so that is probably the hardest thing about the move, giving up such a great school.
As far as "HOT", we're used to summers getting in the 110-120s (dry heat, but we just stay indoors). I laugh when people complain about Phoenix traffic, because we've lived in California (now that is some serious traffic).

ANY information, insights, on locations, schools, neighborhoods, etc. Are there any schools I should consider applying for now (ASAP)?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 09:10 AM

11,671 posts, read 21,236,098 times
Frisco and Keller aren't neighborhoods in Dallas. They are suburbs (Keller is a FW suburb and Frisco is a far north suburb of Dallas) and they are 30 miles apart (about 1 hour in traffic).

If your husband will be working at DFW airport (you just said airport so find out which one as Love Field is a major commercial airport and Alliance and others are major cargo/private airports), then Grapevine and Coppell would be the closest suburbs with good schools and family-friendly vibes. Southlake and Colleyville, too, if you have a big enough budget.

Also, there are charter schools here but the schools in Coppell and Southlake are some of the tip-top public schools in the whole state. Grapevine-Colleyville ISD is going to be better than all but 1 or 2 charter schools. Northern Hills is a fantastic charter near DFW Airport but almost impossible to get in (lottery + believe they give preference to siblings).

Re: heat, Arizona is a dryer heat than Dallas but Dallas is nowhere as humid as it is on the coast.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 01-09-2015 at 09:43 AM..

Old 01-09-2015, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,952 times
Thanks,
I did mean DFW, never been to Dallas, just need a starting point. I also meant suburbs, not neighborhoods, I guess I meant neighborhoods within the suburbs. I have been to Austin, Houston and driven by San Antonio, and I do remember thinking how humid it was.
Thanks for the tip on Grapevine-Colleyville, that is really close! We have spent so much of our time commuting (between countries even), so at this point, if we have to move, we just want to be close to work and school.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:06 PM

2,810 posts, read 3,565,871 times
There was another recent thread started by someone whose spouse would be commuting a few times a week to DFW airport, which had some good information. My wife works at DFW airport so we had similar issues in our own search. A lot depends on your budget, obviously. A few quick observations -

At higher price points, Southlake and Colleyville are both extremely nice suburbs with very good to excellent schools. For Southlake you're looknig at homes in the 500K+ range, although you will find some at 400K+ that are smaller/older (excluding homes in obvious states of disrepair). In Colleyville you're looking mainly at 400K+, with some older/smaller homes at 300K+. This is in general to give you an idea of price points there. Those two suburbs have distinctly different "feels" as well, so as with ANY suburbs on this list, it's good to check them out in person and see if they seem like a good fit to you and your family.

Also (generally) at a higher price point and more centrally locted to DFW in general is Coppell (Southlake and Colleyville are NW/W of DFW airport, Coppell is NNE). Coppell also has excellent schools (metrics are slightly below Southlake and a bit above Colleyville). Houses there tend to go very quickly due to the location. Lot sizes are a little smaller than the aforementioned 'burbs if that is of any importance to you.

Grapevine is just to the NNW of the airport, as you've seen. It is in the same school district as Colleyville (for the most part, note that districts are "independent" from the cities and towns, thus the "Grapevine-Colleyville Independent School District" (GCISD) encompasses most BUT NOT ALL of Grapevine and Colleyville, and also includes little bits of other towns). Grapevine is a bit older and has a neat Main Street/downtown area. There are a few posters here who have lived there for years and can give you far more information.

Also note that there is a part of Euless (just west of DFW airport) that feeds into GCISD, which may be worth checking into.

Both Grapevine and that part of Euless noted have homes at lower price points. Again, I'll defer to others on this board with info on neighborhoods.

Flower Mound is further to the north. It also has excellent schools and a good mix of housing, including some more affordable choices. Larger lots tend to be the west and would be a more difficult commute. There is also some construction going on a bit to the north of the airport which will make a commute from there more difficult in the immediate future but likely easier once it is completed in a couple years.

Hurst, Euless and Bedford are all suburbs to the SW of the airport. Homes are more affordable, schools (HEB ISD) for the most part) are generally good, albeit not at the level of the places noted so far. At least one poster here can tell you more about the IB program at one of the HEB high schools.

Irving is to the east of DFW and has some nicer parts and others notsomuch. Parts feed into Coppell ISD, I believe, while others feed into Irving ISD which performs at a lower level.

Keller is to the west of Southlake. The commue to DFW airport would be longer (traffic through Southlake is a pain during rush hour). Parts of Keller are almost as expensive as Southlake, while other parts are far less costly. Keller HS puts up good metrics, the other 2 high schools in Keller ISD lag to some extent. I believe the areas closest to DFW airport generally feed into Keller HS.

I'll also note North Richland Hills, which is to the west of Colleyville, generally south of Keller. It has a mix of housing and schools which are solid but not spectacular. Although I generally like the suburb, the commute from there to the airport would be the most difficult of the cities listed here (from most neighborhoods).

You mentioned Frisco. Frisco is a ways NE of the airport. The commute might be tolerable IF you are in an area close Route 121, but note that that is a toll road and will still be a long distance to drive. IMHO there are many superior choices for someone working at DFW airport.

Traffic - DFW traffic is likely worse than Arizona but a whole lot better than Chicago (where we moved from) or California (or Boston, or New York, or...). The Metroplex is very "spread out" and they keep building roads as fast as they can.

TC80, in her normally helpful way, has already noted heat and schools. Hope this helps and good luck on your move!

Old 10-12-2015, 06:15 AM

19 posts, read 19,719 times
We moved to Keller (east of 377) after researching all the areas you mention. We absolutely made the best choice for us. I would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:05 PM

33 posts, read 25,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Hurst, Euless and Bedford are all suburbs to the SW of the airport. Homes are more affordable, schools (HEB ISD) for the most part) are generally good, albeit not at the level of the places noted so far. At least one poster here can tell you more about the IB program at one of the HEB high schools.
I agree especially with this line. We're in North Arlington, but a half mile down the road from HEB. HEB has a quieter atmosphere than a lot of other areas around here, and it's literally about a 10-15 minute drive to the airport, depending if you go H, E, or B of course. I highly recommend checking this out if you end up relocating. Maybe you have -- it looks like this is an old post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas