Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 1,487 times

Advertisements

So I read these posts all the time, but never really find stories that can directly relate to the advice I need. I figured you guys might be willing to give your opinion on my situation.

Basically, I am a 27 year old single woman originally from Dayton, Ohio. I moved with my single mother (53) to Watauga, Texas in 2010 to start a new life in the sunshine with more opportunities and things to do than here in Dayton. Unfortunately, my physically handicapped brother ended up not only legally deaf, but blind, so he moved back in with us just as I arrived. We ended up bringing him back to Dayton in 2013 for his doctors, but he is now settled into an assisted living apartment and loving his independence. Now my mother and I want a re-do and want to move back this summer.

We really hated where we were before. Watauga just didnt have anything that we were interested in and the traffic to get anywhere was terrible with all of the construction. I believe we would be happier further east. I really like the Flower Mound area and the shopping/restaurants around the Highland Village. Other than that and a couple trips into downtown Fort Worth, I didn't get to see a lot on the Dallas side. I also believe there might be more opportunites for things to do and dating closer to Dallas/Plano for someone my age.

We wouldn't have to worry about schools and we have three dogs. I work in defense, so I would probably try for a job at Lockheed in Grand Prairie, or Raytheon in Richardson. I would like advice on areas that are safe to go for walks at night in, close to things to do, restaurants, shopping and a generally nice area. We are looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 1400+ square feet home with a smaller yard. Unfortunately, our budget tops out at $200k at the moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:43 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Find a job first. Lockheed and Raytheon (which has multiple campus locations) are nowhere near each other. And neither job location makes sense if you work in Grand Prairie or N Dallas/Richardson/McKinney. How many minutes do you wan to drive each direction?

$200k budget may not get you what you want in the kind of area you're seeking. Housing is A LOT more expensive now than it was back in 2010....like 50% more in many areas around the metroplex as 2010 was the year prices bottomed out during the recession. I think you'll find 3-2's near any of Raytheon's campuses at $250k+. Lockheed is in a less expensive area but further away from shopping, restaurants, and any kind of singles scene.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,487 times
I absolutely plan on having a job first. I was just thinking that Lockheed would probably be my first choice and it just so happens to be in Grand Prairie (or Fort Worth), but my current companies VP just went to Raytheon, so I have a connection there in Richardson. I understand those two are apart, but thats why I was thinking of being somewhere in the middle of the metroplex. My mom is a consultant who is transferring, so she will be working anywhere in the DFW area. I am willing to travel 30-45 minutes one way. Is 820 and 121 still a mess?

I have not heard good things about Grand Prairie and I don't know much about the safety in a place like Irving. Do you have thoughts on those or maybe even the HEB area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas