U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 06:14 PM

818 posts, read 575,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolkArtsy View Post
I don't get why people buy in far flung areas and then instead of using toll roads, they crowd internal roads to save toll. There should be some sort of toll charged for that which can be used for upkeep of these roads, pollution control, police or that city for their inconvenience. I live near Preston and Park and hate how commuters from other towns use our roads to cut down on their long commutes and toll expenses while increasing traffic, pollution, commute time, chances of accidents, road wear and tear and crowding for people in our town.
One of the most ridiculous post I have since!!! Makes no sense whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 PM

41 posts, read 48,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
One of the most ridiculous post I have since!!! Makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:46 PM

311 posts, read 342,905 times
Quote:
I don't get why people buy in far flung areas and then instead of using toll roads, they crowd internal roads to save toll. There should be some sort of toll charged for that which can be used for upkeep of these roads, pollution control, police or that city for their inconvenience. I live near Preston and Park and hate how commuters from other towns use our roads to cut down on their long commutes and toll expenses while increasing traffic, pollution, commute time, chances of accidents, road wear and tear and crowding for people in our town.

Yeah, no. Just no. People who take local roads spend their time, not money, to get around. I don't fault either toll road takers or local road takers for their choice, to each his/her own. Kind of like making an argument that truck drivers should be taxed more due to pollution - well they pay more for gas so that's moot.

On top of that, DNT is becoming less "economical" on a $/mi basis and the $/minute time you spend to get from say, Plano to downtown due to the growth of Frisco and other neighborhoods. So with the jams on the DNT it kind of evens out.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:53 PM

11,713 posts, read 21,421,605 times
Quote:
If you want to live somewhere that the government has the power to control an individual's movement ("these roads are for you/the masses, but THESE roads are for special people"), you probably want to time-travel back to 1930's Germany.....

Seriously? Last time I checked you didn't need to show Plano ID to drive through Plano.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:59 PM

41 posts, read 73,870 times
It seems that we have lot of those people here and this topic hit the sensitive spot. I was merely ranting about some colleagues who use these roads instead of paying tolls and then complaint about how crowded these roads are. My assumption was that Plano pays for maintain of these roads from our property taxes.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:04 PM

23,670 posts, read 31,479,427 times
Quote:
It seems that we have lot of those people here and this topic hit the sensitive spot. I was merely ranting about some colleagues who use these roads instead of paying tolls and then complaint about how crowded these roads are. My assumption was that Plano pays for maintain of these roads from our property taxes.
Well I was born and raised in Dallas. I think we should get all these transplants out of the area so they'll stop clogging my roads and stores and breathing my air.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:21 PM

266 posts, read 478,168 times
The OP really reeks of NIMBYism. The toll roads and freeways do get plenty of use as well, but there will always be people who refuse to pay the tolls because that gives power to the 'heartless evil conservatives'. I pretty much use the tollroads exclusively if I'm going any significant distance (which is always it seems - all is so spread out), because I don't have the time not to. I also like avoiding the numerous pickup trucks with debris hanging out the back ready to damage my car, uninsured illegals going 30mph in beat-up station wagons (bring it on SJWs!), truckers out to kill everyone in their way, confused out-of-staters, and constant construction.

However, sometimes you don't have a choice. Some communities are so densely built up that more toll roads, freeways, or wider boulevards simply aren't an option. The Park Cities are a good example. Usually in these cases, often because of whiners like the OP, several annoying things happen, such as nearby residential roads getting cut-off from going through, freakishly militant police who pull people over for 31 in a 30, road furniture, and lights timed badly on purpose so you hit every single red. All of this is to actively discourage people from driving through, but in some cases, you don't really have a choice unless you want to go an hour out of your way.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:12 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,588,140 times
I'll take the frontage road beside the toll road if I wanna race from a dig, but toll road all the way if I wanna go from a roll.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:16 PM

3,561 posts, read 7,009,292 times
Quote:
And sales taxes. Ya know the ones that come from the lunches your colleagues eat in Plano. And the shopping they do on the way home from work.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:20 PM

3,289 posts, read 1,816,561 times
I am fundamentally opposed to toll roads. If I wanted to take toll roads, I'd live in the Northeast. Part of living in a Western state should be no toll roads.

Once when visiting California, I took a toll road to save time and avoid the nightmare that is the 405. Dallas' 635 gives the 405 in LA a run for its money in traffic hellaciousness, but I think the 405 is worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas