U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 12:31 PM

41 posts, read 72,719 times

Advertisements

This is what I was talking about. It is way more annoying for people who actually live or work here, knowing that this is avoidable only if half of this crowd that has no need to be here during rush hours, wasn't clogging it for everyone just to avoid tolls. If you don't want to pay tolls then live near your work, why cause unnecessary grief for yourself and others or at least don't complaint about the traffic. If you are driving $40k car then you can't be too poor to pay toll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:36 PM

41 posts, read 72,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
And sales taxes. Ya know the ones that come from the lunches your colleagues eat in Plano. And the shopping they do on the way home from work.
It wouldn't be an issue if they were working and lunching here. Work is in Dallas and that's where they shop and eat. Plano businesses aren't benefiting from them gracing local roads to avoid toll.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:53 PM

3,810 posts, read 3,703,126 times
Quote:
Work is in Dallas and that's where they shop and eat. Plano businesses aren't benefiting from them gracing local roads to avoid toll.
Preston Road in Plano seems like it's doing ok to me, and there certainly aren't enough people who live in that area of Plano to support that number of businesses. So they probably are benefitting heavily from the daily traffic.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:06 PM

360 posts, read 331,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolkArtsy View Post
This is what I was talking about. It is way more annoying for people who actually live or work here, knowing that this is avoidable only if half of this crowd that has no need to be here during rush hours, wasn't clogging it for everyone just to avoid tolls. If you don't want to pay tolls then live near your work, why cause unnecessary grief for yourself and others or at least don't complaint about the traffic. If you are driving $40k car then you can't be too poor to pay toll.
This is a pretty unreasonable complaint. I don't think just because I *can* take toll roads to get to my employment I should be expected to. Lots of folks choose not to live in Dallas for cheaper housing and better schools to the north (excepting obvious school districts with their housing costs to match). I live right near a toll road entrance but choose to drive through one frontage road signalized intersection to get on the toll road at the next on ramp. This saves me $2/day. I don't drive a $40k car but even if I did, it would be STUPID to pay an extra $40/month commuting to save myself 30 seconds in commute time, if that, since the toll roads are so congested.

As a tax paying citizen, I dont feel I need to apologize to anyone living near that intersection for my vehicle. When I have extra time in the mornings, I also choose to take back roads to work that increase my commute time 5-8 minutes but save me $4-6 in tolls every day. I bet Im infuriating lots of folks with the audacity I have to drive through their town(s). Please.

You are living in one of the fastest growing metros in the country and are benefiting from the associated appreciating home values. The cost of that appreciation is more traffic as infrastructure lags. You can't have it all.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Quote:
1. My time is worth money, too. If there are 2 wrecks on the Tollroad between my office and my home (18 miles), then I'm perfectly free to take Midway or Preston home. It can save up to 30 minutes if it's a bad wreck. 95% of the time, I take the Tollroad because it's faster.

2. I pay federal taxes as well as state sales & gas taxes, same as you do buddy. So those roads are every bit "mine" as much as they are "yours". We're not driving through your precious subdivision, we're driving down STATE HIGHWAY 289. Do you understand what the words "STATE HIGHWAY" mean? They don't mean private road.

3. Again, if you don't like this, try moving to North Korea. I'm sure citizen movement is more "controlled" there, which sounds like what you are seeking.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:59 PM

505 posts, read 702,390 times
I would like to know what scientific methods the original poster used to determine that this traffic is indeed cheapskates avoiding the toll roads and not just normal local traffic.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:07 PM

230 posts, read 311,725 times
Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Am I the only one that sometimes will take Preston from the 635 area rather than the tollway because I just enjoy the drive and scenery better? Even the stop lights? It's just more relaxing to me sometimes then going 80mph on the tollway with other race car drivers.
Same here. I'm not completely against toll roads, but living in NY and NJ I've developed an aversion to those. I'll take surface road along 121 when I'm not in a big rush, or Preston or Hillcrest>>Ohio when traveling from downtown. Many people on toll roads are overestimating their abilities to stop their cars/trucks, and underestimating their distance from my bumper. No thank you, I'll take local road when I can. But I'm also legal resident of Plano, so I suppose I fit in OP's clique .

Old 01-13-2015, 01:09 PM

684 posts, read 572,231 times
To the OP, if you are this annoyed and worried about people driving on roads in a town , well I think you have some bigger issues personally that you should worry about and take care of.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:22 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,385,586 times
Ok fine. I'll stop coming to Plano and spending money with "your" city. My bad.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:44 PM

151 posts, read 163,185 times
Quote:
If you don't want to pay tolls then live near your work, why cause unnecessary grief for yourself and others or at least don't complaint about the traffic. If you are driving $40k car then you can't be too poor to pay toll.

Apparently, you've completed sufficient empirical research of the offending drivers and their cars to conclude that:
  1. The drivers simply don't want to pay tolls;
  2. Their cars cost $40K.
  3. Assuming a $40K car, the drivers can afford to pay the tolls.
Suppose the drivers are using non-toll roads for reasons other than toll avoidance. Then what?

Suppose their cars cost less, perhaps even much less, than $40K. Then what?

Suppose the drivers have other expenses to consider. Then what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas