Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 11:26 AM

41 posts, read 101,133 times

Advertisements

I don't get why people buy in far flung areas and then instead of using toll roads, they crowd internal roads to save toll. There should be some sort of toll charged for that which can be used for upkeep of these roads, pollution control, police or that city for their inconvenience. I live near Preston and Park and hate how commuters from other towns use our roads to cut down on their long commutes and toll expenses while increasing traffic, pollution, commute time, chances of accidents, road wear and tear and crowding for people in our town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 11:40 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,175,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolkArtsy View Post
I don't get why people buy in far flung areas and then instead of using toll roads, they crowd internal roads to save toll. There should be some sort of toll charged for that which can be used for upkeep of these roads, pollution control, police or that city for their inconvenience. I live near Preston and Park and hate how commuters from other towns use our roads to cut down on their long commutes and toll expenses while increasing traffic, pollution, commute time, chances of accidents, road wear and tear and crowding for people in our town.
There is such a thing, it's called taxes. TXDOT gets money from gas fees, vehicle registration fees, and other fees. TXDOT actually "owns" quite a few roads in North Texas. They were the ones that funded the Preston expansion in Frisco and northward. I'm guessing they probably "own" Preston around Park as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sure, if I live in one city and drive to another I don't directly pay taxes to that city for police and road services (via property taxes), but I usually buy things from cities I travel in. And when I buy things, I pay...you guessed it, taxes for those goods. My employer, who is in a different city than I work, pays taxes to the city, county, and ISD.

Also, it's completely unreasonable to expect someone from another city to NEVER drive on an internal road. I could take DNT from Frisco into Plano but it's not going to magically dump me right into my office's parking garage. I need to exit DNT and then drive on internal streets to get to my actual job.

I'm really not even sure what the point of this post was.

Old 01-09-2015, 11:40 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,129 times
Public rights-of-way. They aren't "your roads".

Old 01-09-2015, 11:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Preston Road is also known as State Highway 289 and is owned by the State of Texas.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:01 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
When I went to college at UT Arlington years ago we would take the back roads to save the 25cent toll on the old DFW Turnpike. He were broke students.

Did you know there was an old DFW Turnpike ?

Old 01-09-2015, 12:14 PM

168 posts, read 229,437 times
a lot of people will purposely avoid toll roads "out of principle" as they don't want to "give the man" any more money. Even if tolls were 10 cents they would avoid them.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
I never use Preston or Park to get around tolls because both of those roads have a ridiculous number of traffic lights. It's hell on earth trying to get south to PGBT on Preston.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:34 PM

244 posts, read 405,689 times
You are operating under the premise that those who are using your roads chose where they work and choose to not use the toll road. Think about environmental staff and similarly low paid workers who support the Dallas Medical district. They have to live in places they can afford (Often North) and their pay may not afford them the luxury of a toll road. I would curb your elitism a bit or simply hire and uber car to take you everywhere so you don't have to deal with the others on your roads.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:12 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Quote:
There is a "toll" charged to people for doing that already. It's called "their time".

Also, they likely get worse gas mileage driving "city" miles than highway.

And as everyone else on this thread has noted, they're not "your" roads, it's public infrastructure, and those people driving on them often purchase goods and services from the city/town/municipality they are driving through.

This is assuming that everyone crowding "your" roads is doing so solely as an alternative to dirving on "the toll road", which is a faulty assumption in the first place as others have also pointed out.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:23 PM

504 posts, read 801,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
There is such a thing, it's called taxes. TXDOT gets money from gas fees, vehicle registration fees, and other fees. TXDOT actually "owns" quite a few roads in North Texas. They were the ones that funded the Preston expansion in Frisco and northward. I'm guessing they probably "own" Preston around Park as well, but I'm not 100% sure.

Sure, if I live in one city and drive to another I don't directly pay taxes to that city for police and road services (via property taxes), but I usually buy things from cities I travel in. And when I buy things, I pay...you guessed it, taxes for those goods. My employer, who is in a different city than I work, pays taxes to the city, county, and ISD.

Also, it's completely unreasonable to expect someone from another city to NEVER drive on an internal road. I could take DNT from Frisco into Plano but it's not going to magically dump me right into my office's parking garage. I need to exit DNT and then drive on internal streets to get to my actual job.

I'm really not even sure what the point of this post was.
Spot on. They are your roads as much as mine. I pay for them every time I fill up my gas tank and pay for registration renewal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas