Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:54 PM

34 posts, read 102,646 times

Advertisements

I am so tired of the East Coast Crazies! I have been doing research on places to relocate myself and elementary aged son to (whom will be joining my next year). I have narrowed my search to San Diego CA, Dallas-Ft.Worth TX and Phoenix AZ. I have been given quite a disturbing deal of information on San Diego , moderate info on Phoenix and now I need the goods on Dallas-Ft. Worth.

These are my major concerns:

*The Ease of Job Opportunities (Corporate, Retail, Insurance fields)
*Temporary/Permanent Housing in or near the downtown area
*Family Fun
*Schooling -both public & private
*Purchasing property and land.
*Taxes

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Well...I don't live downtown but I want to sublet my place; it's in a trendy area in north Dallas.

The job market here is pretty solid. When I moved back here from England I found a job within 10 days of starting to look; that's 10 days from putting my resume online to having 2 offers to choose from. That was in July 2007.

Family fun...DFW has everything. What specifically did you have in mind?

Old 01-06-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Well...I don't live downtown but I want to sublet my place; it's in a trendy area in north Dallas.

The job market here is pretty solid. When I moved back here from England I found a job within 10 days of starting to look; that's 10 days from putting my resume online to having 2 offers to choose from. That was in July 2007.

Family fun...DFW has everything. What specifically did you have in mind?
How big is the place that you are looking to sublet and when will you be looking for a tenant? The type of family fun that I am interested in are parks, zoos, carnivals, and culture activites. As far as the job market: anytype of office work or retail positions.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfull3 View Post
How big is the place that you are looking to sublet and when will you be looking for a tenant? The type of family fun that I am interested in are parks, zoos, carnivals, and culture activites. As far as the job market: anytype of office work or retail positions.
I have to get written consent from the landlord before I can sublet the place but as soon as I get that, we'll be looking for another place.

The place is a 2-2...not huge, but good for a temporary roost while you're checking the area out. It also has a 1-car attached garage, which is rare for this part of town. If you have elementary school-aged kids, there's an elementary school a very short walk away.

The DFW area has more parks than you can shake a stick at. There are almost always events on the weekends that are family-friendly; I grew up in Dallas itself and was pretty much never bored. There are two main zoos in the metro area; one in Dallas, one in Fort Worth. The one in FW is generally considered to be the superior zoo but the one in Dallas is pretty darn good. Dallas also has an aquarium and children's museums, plus a good art museum. Fort Worth has the Kimbell, which is awesome, and the museum of natural history which unfortunately is closed for renovations at the moment. Basically the museums here are in my opinion the best in this region.

This part of town is great for retail and office work; the central location means it's easy to commute to large parts of the metroplex. I work in Richardson just south of 190 and my commute takes about 15-20 minutes. There's a ton of retail in north Dallas and we're less than 2 miles from the Galleria Mall, which I think is the biggest mall in the city. So...plenty of opportunities for retail work!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:29 PM

Arrow Ready to Relocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I have to get written consent from the landlord before I can sublet the place but as soon as I get that, we'll be looking for another place.

The place is a 2-2...not huge, but good for a temporary roost while you're checking the area out. It also has a 1-car attached garage, which is rare for this part of town. If you have elementary school-aged kids, there's an elementary school a very short walk away.

The DFW area has more parks than you can shake a stick at. There are almost always events on the weekends that are family-friendly; I grew up in Dallas itself and was pretty much never bored. There are two main zoos in the metro area; one in Dallas, one in Fort Worth. The one in FW is generally considered to be the superior zoo but the one in Dallas is pretty darn good. Dallas also has an aquarium and children's museums, plus a good art museum. Fort Worth has the Kimbell, which is awesome, and the museum of natural history which unfortunately is closed for renovations at the moment. Basically the museums here are in my opinion the best in this region.

This part of town is great for retail and office work; the central location means it's easy to commute to large parts of the metroplex. I work in Richardson just south of 190 and my commute takes about 15-20 minutes. There's a ton of retail in north Dallas and we're less than 2 miles from the Galleria Mall, which I think is the biggest mall in the city. So...plenty of opportunities for retail work!
This is actually my second thread and the replies that I receive from residents of DFW are always friendly but the replies that I have received from the residents of San Diego (my 1st thread) are both confusing and disturbing.

Most of the SD residents have major complaints and are looking to leave, however DFW residents are happy and welcoming. Please keep me posted on the sublet situation, I am very interested.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
This is actually my second thread and the replies that I receive from residents of DFW are always friendly but the replies that I have received from the residents of San Diego (my 1st thread) are both confusing and disturbing.

Most of the SD residents have major complaints and are looking to leave, however DFW residents are happy and welcoming. Please keep me posted on the sublet situation, I am very interested.
No problem; I will be talking to the property management company tomorrow about subletting the place and we can go from there.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:40 PM

Wow.. Are people in DFW really this helpful?

Old 01-07-2008, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Wow.. Are people in DFW really this helpful?
Some of us are!

Old 01-07-2008, 05:21 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:

I grew up in San Diego although I now live in Dallas. San Diego is a wonderful city on many levels. The weather is perfect, there are a a gazillion outdoor things to do and the economy is good. Housing there is horribly overpriced, traffic has become a nightmare and like most places in Southern California it is not very friendly. The locals/natives are unwelcoming and transplants seem to turn in to native wannabes/poseurs who adopt the nasty attitude.

With that said, be careful how much you take away from an internet message board. I think overall people here in Dallas are much, much friendlier than San Diegans. But a board like this has maybe 100 or so active posters out of a metro area of 6 million. Same with San Diego, where San Diego county has 2 million people.

The best way to get to know a place is to physically go there. Meet people in a prospective church, check out neighborhoods, etc. etc. This board was helpful to me in considering moving to Dallas, but my wife and I made two pilot trips before we made our decision and it was on the basis of what we actualyl saw, felt and experienced that we made our decision to move. Good luck wherever you end up!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4browns View Post
I grew up in San Diego although I now live in Dallas. San Diego is a wonderful city on many levels. The weather is perfect, there are a a gazillion outdoor things to do and the economy is good. Housing there is horribly overpriced, traffic has become a nightmare and like most places in Southern California it is not very friendly. The locals/natives are unwelcoming and transplants seem to turn in to native wannabes/poseurs who adopt the nasty attitude.

With that said, be careful how much you take away from an internet message board. I think overall people here in Dallas are much, much friendlier than San Diegans. But a board like this has maybe 100 or so active posters out of a metro area of 6 million. Same with San Diego, where San Diego county has 2 million people.

The best way to get to know a place is to physically go there. Meet people in a prospective church, check out neighborhoods, etc. etc. This board was helpful to me in considering moving to Dallas, but my wife and I made two pilot trips before we made our decision and it was on the basis of what we actualyl saw, felt and experienced that we made our decision to move. Good luck wherever you end up!
I have visited SD and during my short visit there, I was warned by the local authorities on the many issues that parts of SD has. I was warned about living downtown, taking cabs, being new to the area, certain school districts, etc. Overall, I was overwhelmed with so much bad stuff that I had began to consider Palm Springs, in which I was told would be a very wise yet expensive move over SD especially with a small child.

I am really becoming very uninterested in SD, as my CA thread has no convincing posts of welcome such as Dallas. Besides, I like peace and quiet for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas