U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2015, 08:14 PM

24 posts, read 33,096 times

Advertisements

any experiences with this school?? we are interested in the new Highland Homes in Pecan Creek (off Jupiter, near the Collin County Community College) and Hickey is the assigned elementary school.

I am just a bit concerned bc I see that it is a 7/10 on greatschools, which is not bad, but not great. Though if these ratings are mostly based on test scores (which is mostly a reflection of SES of student population), then it's not a huge deal...what we mostly care about is the teacher quality and curriculum, and also if the school is not rundown, students have enough materials etc.

Our oldest will be going into kindergarten later this year (and our youngest the year after that) so school quality *right now* is obviously a big issue for us.

I normally wouldn't think greatschools ratings are a huge deal but where we live currently we are assigned to a Frisco ISD school with a 9/10 rating ... so I guess I feel bad doing all this upheaval & moving houses for them to go a school with a lower rating. (And no, we cannot stay in Frisco ISD/our current home..our commute time to work is rotten and that is why we are moving in the first place).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 08:20 PM

3,629 posts, read 7,219,772 times
I can't vouch for the school itself, but the curriculum in PISD is strong. And I am familiar with that neighborhood and it's definitely not rundown. And I've never heard of any school in PISD not having enough materials. As a matter of fact, there's a group in the East Cluster that helps ensure that the Title 1 schools that don't have as active of PTAs get things that other schools take for granted. Like snacks and extra water on testing days. Or volunteers for Field Day. And Hickey is definitely not one of the receiving schools.

Old 01-10-2015, 10:38 PM

2,285 posts, read 2,934,168 times
I don't think that any of the Plano schools are "run down". Plano remodels and upgrades their schools every so many years. A couple of their oldest elementary school (Meadows & Mendenhall) were torn down and totally built new.

Plano ISD works hard for all of their students.

Sorry that I don't have any direct info on Hickey though.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:41 AM

thanks, that makes me feel better! I know Plano ISD schools are well-regarded in general, though I see that some schools have 10/10 rating (e.g. Stinson) and others have very low ratings of 4 or so (Mendenhall, Jackson). Just wanted to get an idea of what the difference typically is.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:07 AM

2,285 posts, read 2,934,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by train_mom View Post
thanks, that makes me feel better! I know Plano ISD schools are well-regarded in general, though I see that some schools have 10/10 rating (e.g. Stinson) and others have very low ratings of 4 or so (Mendenhall, Jackson). Just wanted to get an idea of what the difference typically is.
Stinson has 4.5% economically disadvantaged and 13.8% learning English.
http://k-12.pisd.edu/schools/aeis/20...ReportCard.pdf

Mendenhall has 88.8% economically disadvantaged and 57.2% learning English.

Hickey has 36.1% economically disadvantaged and 29.8% learning English. Hickey is quite ethnically diverse as well:
African American 11.0%
Hispanic 36.1%
White 34.1%
Asian 15.4%
Two or more races 3.4%

Old 01-12-2015, 09:34 AM

375 posts, read 364,640 times
I moved from a neighborhood zoned to Hickey. My kids are too young still so I have no direct experience but my neighbors were all pleased. We did not move because of the school and would have been comfortable having our kids there.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:55 AM

3,927 posts, read 4,011,701 times
Quote:
I don't think that any of the Plano schools are "run down".
Though many do look like minimum security prisions from the outside and nothing like a traditional school house. The insides are fine (except for the lack of windows with a few of them).

Old 01-12-2015, 12:45 PM

41 posts, read 78,258 times
Stinson is a better school. Everyone who has kids there or in Otto Middle, is pretty happy and that neighborhood is very family friendly. I don't know much about Hickey but one friend had his kids there and I don't recall any issues when his kids went there.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:14 AM

thank you everyone for the responses, especially DitsyD for that breakdown, that is helpful.

as it turns out, we ended up buying in the Villas of Pecan Creek...so our kids will definitely be going to Hickey. we were sold on the house (Highland) once we saw how nice the homes were and what a great location it was (next to Oak point rec center, easy access to 75). our house should be completed this summer, just in time for my oldest to start Kinder. We are very excited!

i feel better about the school thing now. While school ratings are important, after talking to my husband we realized how it would be really awesome for our kids to experience a school with lots of diversity (both ethnic and socio-economic as well as cultural). One concern about our current neighborhood (Frisco ISD) is that while it's highly rated schools, it is extremely homogenous..mostly upper-middle class, white, conservative, Christian, non-immigrant/no ESL. My kids totally stand out as the "token minorities" (lol), even though we all only speak English and were born here. Also, I feel like I am one of few mothers who works outside the home (and probably one of the rare few who is the primary breadwinner). So it would be nice to be in a more diverse environment.

only thing is it'd be nice if the school were a different name..LOL. can't complain though. it IMO it sounds better than Roach (Frisco ISD)...haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas