U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 03:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,282 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Dallas in March. We will be there for two years, as his job is a contract job. His office is located in Sherman, TX, and my school is located in Downtown Dallas (el centro college -- I'm doing the ultrasound tech program). We don't want a long commute for either of us, so we're trying to find a place to meet in the middle.

Is Plano a good middle ground? Specifically 75093 zip code.

We're urban people, and I want to be near Whole Foods, Indian restaurants, Hindu temples, Buddhist temples and good shopping. He's fine with a longer commute, but driving really kills me. For the first year I won't have to commute to downtown very much, but the second year I'd be commuting daily. We are a newly married couple, have three dogs, and are willing to go up to $1600 a month for a two/three bedroom house/townhome/condo (if it has green space for the dogs and an amazing location).

Does anyone have advice on where to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 05:09 AM

58 posts, read 64,777 times
From a distance standpoint, McKinney is roughly the halfway point. It's roughly 50 miles from 75093 to Sherman. If your husband works a typical 9-5ish workday, it's a long and easy commute. McKinney, Allen, Plano would all be similar commutes to Sherman. The commute to el centro would be a lot tougher from any of those places. Again, this depends on what time you would be commuting. When commuting downtown from the northern suburbs, you're dealing with LOTS of traffic. When commuting further north, you just get to look at all the traffic as you drive by it. That said, Plano is the most southern suburb that will give you what you're looking for (being presumptuous here based on your 093 reference.) Finding lots of yard in 75093 for $1600/month will likely be more challenging than the commute. Plano does have a Whole Foods and a decent size Indian representation though. Sounds like (depending on your definition of "green space") Plano might be your best bet. You may want to check out further east (75075/75023)

Old 01-11-2015, 07:56 AM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
You need to look closer to 75 as you take 75 to Sherman, not the Tollroad (75093). I'd probably look around UTD's campus in Richardson- just south of Bush turnpike & west of 75. Your $1600/mo budget will actually get you a house in Richardson. Very safe suburb, extremely diverse, meets almost all of your criteria. You also will have the ability to take the DART rail into downtown...it will take longer than driving but you'll probably be more relaxed.

Another thought- check to see if any of the Collin County colleges offer an ultrasound program. Could save you and your hubby a lot on your commutes!

Old 01-11-2015, 08:02 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,201 times
Definitely closer to 75 and not the toll road.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:34 AM

13,403 posts, read 20,277,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You need to look closer to 75 as you take 75 to Sherman, not the Tollroad (75093). I'd probably look around UTD's campus in Richardson- just south of Bush turnpike & west of 75. Your $1600/mo budget will actually get you a house in Richardson. Very safe suburb, extremely diverse, meets almost all of your criteria. You also will have the ability to take the DART rail into downtown...it will take longer than driving but you'll probably be more relaxed.

Another thought- check to see if any of the Collin County colleges offer an ultrasound program. Could save you and your hubby a lot on your commutes!
Richardson is definately not halfway between the two, its much closer to Dallas.

The halfway point is around McKinney, but if they like Indian restaurants and Hindu Temples, Plano is going to offer more of that than just about anywhere in the Metroplex.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:43 AM

356 posts, read 250,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmlellis View Post
My husband and I are moving to Dallas in March. We will be there for two years, as his job is a contract job. His office is located in Sherman, TX, and my school is located in Downtown Dallas (el centro college -- I'm doing the ultrasound tech program). We don't want a long commute for either of us, so we're trying to find a place to meet in the middle.

Is Plano a good middle ground? Specifically 75093 zip code.

We're urban people, and I want to be near Whole Foods, Indian restaurants, Hindu temples, Buddhist temples and good shopping. He's fine with a longer commute, but driving really kills me. For the first year I won't have to commute to downtown very much, but the second year I'd be commuting daily. We are a newly married couple, have three dogs, and are willing to go up to $1600 a month for a two/three bedroom house/townhome/condo (if it has green space for the dogs and an amazing location).

Does anyone have advice on where to live?

As other posters pointed out you don't want to live off the Tollway for Sherman/Downtown Dallas, you want to live off of highway 75. I have a friend who goes to El Centro college who lives in Allen. She drives to the Parker Dart station in Plano, takes the Dart downtown then she walks to El Centro. Taking the Dart would ease your commute concerns as you wouldn't have to fight traffic. I believe she gets free Dart passes from El Centro. Free DART Passes | El Centro College

Look at downtown Plano, zip code 75074. There is a Dart station there that is walking distance to a lot of apartments and a few townhomes. Also check out other areas that you can easily access the Dart to go to college if driving is an issue for you.

Also most apartments in Dallas will not take 3 pets, private landlords are more open sometimes. All of my friends who are apartment dwellers say they have 1 or 2 pets, it is a lease violation if they get caught of course. However being truthful about the number of pets they have would have prevented them from renting at the complex they wanted to live in.

Last edited by RedTexanTea; 01-11-2015 at 08:51 AM..

Old 01-11-2015, 08:44 AM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Richardson is definately not halfway between the two, its much closer to Dallas.

The halfway point is around McKinney, but if they like Indian restaurants and Hindu Temples, Plano is going to offer more of that than just about anywhere in the Metroplex.
I was thinking about halfway in terms of time/traffic, not distance. His average speed going northbound on 75 will be significantly higher than her average speed going southbound. She also said her husband can tolerate a longer commute than she can so I positioned them just south of Bush to avoid the merging bottleneck that happens every time you intersect an east-west highway.

Old 01-11-2015, 08:54 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,383,452 times
Quote:
...but driving really kills me.
You might consider the DART rail for your commute to el Centro. The farthest north stop is the RED/ORANGE line, at Parker Road in Plano. There is one bus route that runs along Parker Road from that rail stop into your specified zip code. A monthly pass is about $80. The downtown stop for el Centro is WestEndStation, one street over from the school. Parking at el Centro can be a challenge.

Rev... Yes, el Centro does participate in reduced fare, http://dart.org/fares/collegeid.asp#passprogram

Good luck

Old 01-11-2015, 11:56 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,757,219 times
Agree that Plano would give you most of what you want; near US75/Central Expressway and the Parker Road DART station.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:58 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,952,734 times
I realize you say you don't want a long commute for either but IMO anywhere midway to Sherman and El Centro are long commutes.

I think Downtown Plano might be your best option, but if you can find an ultrasound tech program in Collin County you'd be far better off commute wise and option wise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or