U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 07:44 AM

30 posts, read 51,537 times

Advertisements

We bought a home built in 1964 on slab foundation a few months ago and have had issues since we moved in. The house has 2 bathrooms, washer/dryer and kitchen sink/dishwasher but problem seems to be the toilets.

We did some remodeling before we moved in and replaced both older toilets with 1-piece Toto UltraMax 1.28 units. Although they get great reviews, our plumber says all low flow toilets and old homes put in new homes cause problems.

Our house is in northwest Dallas. One story, corner lot. We had the foundation checked when we brought the house and all was well.

Last night was the 3rd time in about 6 weeks that we had to have a plumber out to snake the line. When we bought the house, it did not have a clean-out line, and the plumber had to go down from the roof. He cleared the clog but recommended we have a clean out put in on side of the house to make it easier if this reoccured. We did.

A few weeks later, another clog. He came out and cleaned it out.That was a couple of weeks ago and last night when I went to take a shower, the toilet in that bathroom started gurgling.

We actually called a different plumber who lives in the neighborhood as he was able to come last night. He could not get to whatever it was form the clean-out and had to go on the roof and finally fixed it but he said nothing came out with the snake.

He asked why we didn't have 2 clean-outs put in. We didn't know.

The first plumber used the camera and said we should have the pipes jet cleaned to get all the rust and sediment out.

The plumber who came last night wasn't very positive about that method. He said this just happens in a house with 50 year old pipes and to be careful what goes in the toilets and maybe change TP.

The only thing going in our toilets is TP. We are 2 older adults so no one else using. We use Quilted Northern but I read it is not quick-dissolve so we are going to try White Cloud from WalMart,

However, I am looking for information and thoughts about what to do long-term and to be proactive as I donut want to be chasing down a plumber every few weeks and this always seems to happen on the weekend late in the day or evening.

We can't buy non low-flow toilets. I read something about trenchless pipe replacing or relining but we can't figure out if both end sin that process are outside the home. We would try the jet cleaning but worry it the pressure could actually break some pipes.

Anyone in Dallas have or had this problem who has suggestions, recommendations and/or referrals.

Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 AM

3,810 posts, read 3,703,126 times
Have you had your line scoped with a camera? Has the plumber said the problems are inside the house or outside? If it's outside, I'd bet you have clay pipes that are filled with roots, and that is what is causing your clogs. The fix is to replace your clay pipe between your house and the street connection, it costs a couple of thousand dollars.

Forgot to add: scoping with a camera is usually around $200, but they will cut the cost with a drain cleaning, so next time it clogs, be sure to run the camera.

Final forgot to add: 2 cleanouts = they are curved pipes, one curves to cleanout the inside of your home, the other curves to cleanout the outside.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:31 AM

We did have the scope done before the last 2 clogs and he said it was inside so what do you recommend for that? He said he saw lots of rust & sediment.

Also do you think we should have the 2nd clean out installed?

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:33 AM

7,279 posts, read 8,112,371 times
One of my best friends is a plumber. He recommends the American Standard Champion Series toilet for people in your situation. We have a similarly old house with a dying iron sewer pipe that I'd prefer to not replace until absolutely necessary. The old sewer pipes become rough on the inside and they simply require a good bit of water to work.

Before you do anything else, remove your toilet tank lids and see how full your tanks are. If the water level is more than about 1/3 or 1/2 an inch below the top of the overflow tube adjust the valve and float mechanism allowing more water in the tank. Frankly, I'm not sure how to do this on a Toto toilet. I've never looked inside one.

And, assuming you are not already doing so when you flush hold the flush lever down through the flushing process allowing much more water to pass through.

If that does not help/solve the problem.........

1. Buy an American Standard Champion Series toilet ~$160/80 bucks.
2. Adjust the internal shut off valve such that the toilet tank holds the maximum amount of water possible - minus about 1/3 of an inch from the top of the overflow tube to prevent wasting water.
3. Hold the flush handle down until after the flushing process is over. You'll get 20/30% more water that way.

If the new toilet and that process works buy a second one.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasHouzz View Post
We did have the scope done before the last 2 clogs and he said it was inside so what do you recommend for that? He said he saw lots of rust & sediment.

Also do you think we should have the 2nd clean out installed?

Thanks.
Did he mean two clean-outs or a two way clean-out?

Old 01-12-2015, 11:36 AM

I think he was expecting to see two clean-out not one.

Is there a way to attach a PDF to posts? I have a floor plan and can show where the cleanout is located and where all the plumbing inside the house is consolidated.

Thanks.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasHouzz View Post
I think he was expecting to see two clean-out not one.

Is there a way to attach a PDF to posts? I have a floor plan and can show where the cleanout is located and where all the plumbing inside the house is consolidated.

Thanks.
The clean out should be just a few feet from the front of your home. You sewer line runs from there straight out to the main city sanitary sewer line under the street.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:35 PM

Sewer Clean Out - AAA AUGERAAA AUGER

The pic is of a two way clean out. Sounds like you have a single clean out.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:32 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The clean out should be just a few feet from the front of your home. You sewer line runs from there straight out to the main city sanitary sewer line under the street.

Usually but not always. My house is on a corner and my 2-way clean out is on the side of my house, not the front. In my neighborhood (at least), our sewers are under the alleys...not the main streets.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Usually but not always. My house is on a corner and my 2-way clean out is on the side of my house, not the front. In my neighborhood (at least), our sewers are under the alleys...not the main streets.
Totally believe you but I've never seen that around here. The OP is in Dallas so I'd be stunned if his/her sanitary sewer service wasn't under the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas