U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-12-2015, 03:20 PM
 
401 posts, read 524,332 times
Reputation: 194

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison345 View Post
Good points. I work for a Food CPG company. All jobs are associated with Food CPG. Currently I am a Brand Manager with an MBA. However, I could work for any company that needs Brand Managers. In the future, I would in fact welcome the change and get outside of the Food category. There are many other great companies to work for, but less than desirable locations for me.

My husband works in biotech sales and works from home. He has been with the company for a long time and can live anywhere in the U.S. because he works from home! Provides a lot of flexibility for us.
DFW has various companies (small - mid - large cap) in both job areas. You should make a decision about either living close to relatives or a job which attracts you the most based on the company growth and job location for your family and kids.

I have lived in Irving for 3 years before we moved to Frisco and bought a house. Irving has a very diverse population and if you buy a house in Coppell (neighborhood town of Irving), it's rated as one of the best school district in DFW.

Though if I was you....... I would spend at least a week doing internet research on all 3 companies, locations and make a local visit to each location for 2 to 3 days each before making a next move.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-12-2015, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Grapevine, Texas
9,505 posts, read 19,506,212 times
Reputation: 6628
My husband spent a year living in Petersburg, VA which is a suburb of Richmond. We are both native Texans, and I'm a native Dallasite. So, I can give you input about these two cities. Sorry, but I have never been to Minneapolis.

We absolutely LOVED Richmond, and if we ever decided to move away from DFW, Richmond would be our first choice. The city and surrounding area are really pretty, and we absolutely loved the outdoor activities available even within the city. The city also has a very vibrant social scene, which we really enjoyed. Having U of Richmond and VCU downtown made the nightlife fun! We are both history lovers, so we visited as many of the Civil War and Revolutionary War sites as we could! It was also really nice to only be an hour and a half away from the beautiful beaches and wonderful seafood at Virginia Beach! Housing prices around Richmond were pretty comparable to DFW since Richmond is far enough away from DC to not have the market craziness that is seen there. Summer was humid, but the temperatures were not nearly as high as we get here in DFW. Richmond is far enough away from the Chesapeake Bay that hurricanes bring some wind and rain, but are usually not destructive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 06:45 PM
 
28 posts, read 28,201 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
My husband spent a year living in Petersburg, VA which is a suburb of Richmond. We are both native Texans, and I'm a native Dallasite. So, I can give you input about these two cities. Sorry, but I have never been to Minneapolis.

We absolutely LOVED Richmond, and if we ever decided to move away from DFW, Richmond would be our first choice. The city and surrounding area are really pretty, and we absolutely loved the outdoor activities available even within the city. The city also has a very vibrant social scene, which we really enjoyed. Having U of Richmond and VCU downtown made the nightlife fun! We are both history lovers, so we visited as many of the Civil War and Revolutionary War sites as we could! It was also really nice to only be an hour and a half away from the beautiful beaches and wonderful seafood at Virginia Beach! Housing prices around Richmond were pretty comparable to DFW since Richmond is far enough away from DC to not have the market craziness that is seen there. Summer was humid, but the temperatures were not nearly as high as we get here in DFW. Richmond is far enough away from the Chesapeake Bay that hurricanes bring some wind and rain, but are usually not destructive.
Awesome perspective! Thank you! I too love the areas around Richmond. Charlottesville is amazing. I only wish there were more jobs in Charlottesville doing what I do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 PM
 
7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times
Reputation: 5375
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison345 View Post
I need some help from some others who are familiar with Richmond, VA, Dallas, TX and Minneapolis, MN. Posting this in the Dallas, TX forum to get an understanding of pros/cons of the area as I make my consideration of job offers. I am looking for a place to stay more long-term, where my kids can grow up in the same area. So this is a big decision!

Here is my situation:

- I currently live in Harrisburg, PA and work for a large company in Marketing. I have been here for the last 6+ years and am not happy with the area. I would like to live in a bigger city with more amenities (shopping, restaurants, etc.) and culture. I am happy with my job, but I don't think I can take another year living in this area, plus I need to move houses at some point because we are in an awful school district and my oldest is starting Kindergarten this year.

- Previously to moving to PA, I lived in Minneapolis for about 2.5 years and loved the city. Hated the cold.

- I have two young kids and my husband works from home full-time and can live anywhere in the U.S.

- My family lives in MD and his family lives in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

- Every move I have made in the past with a company (3 total) have provided a complete relocation package (temp housing, lump sum payment, moving expenses (pack and move), closing costs, costs to ship car, etc.)

- My current house is great, I think it will show well. But we are in a bad school district and the market is not great. It could take a little while to sell.

- My biggest fear is being separated for too long from my family because my house will not sell quickly and that I am not going to get the relocation support I need for these opportunities.

Here is what I need to decide:

I have received 2 job offers and I have 1 offer to interview with a company in Minneapolis.

Job 1: Smaller company in Richmond, VA
- Director-level position
- Great base salary, great bonus
- Biggest downside is their relocation package; it only covers up to $10,000 of qualified moving expenses. I am just not sure how I am going to make this work
- Just visited the area over the weekend and really liked the area and it is close to my parents (2 hours 20 min away)
- It is within driving distance of my current home (4 hours), so I could commute back and forth until my house sells (my family would stay behind). But this is very stressful sounding for me and my family.

Job 2: Mid-size company in Dallas, TX (located in Irving to be exact)
- Senior Manager Position
- Offer details coming today, assuming it will be close to Job 1 or if not, I can negotiate my way through it
- Dallas is appealing because there are multiple companies in the area in my industry so I could stay put for awhile
- Have no idea what their relocation package will be....could be better, the same or worse than Job 1

Job 3: Large company in Minneapolis, MN
- Manager Position (similar to current position)
- I have not interviewed with them yet, but they want to bring me out next week. I am holding off until I make a decision on Job 1 and Job 2 before I make the commitment to interview. I think the likelihood of getting a job if I interview is high.
- They have stated they could meet requirements for a higher salary. Bonus potential probably won't be the same as the others
- Since they are a large company, my assumption is that relocation benefits will be much better than Job 1 or Job 2
- I really like Minneapolis, and it is closer to family, but I am concerned I might grow to hate the cold again. It is a risk. I already have lots of friends in this area, which is a plus

Questions for everyone:

1. Which job would you pick in my situation given what I am looking for and what the jobs are offering?

2. Do you have experience with living in Richmond, VA; Dallas, TX or Minneapolis, MN. If so, what are the pros/cons of each area?

3. Anyone that has been to all three areas? If so, which area do you like the most?

Thanks in advance for your help! I am stressing and am hitting up against decision deadlines. Job 1 needs an answer by tomorrow.

Feelings:
I agree with TC80 and the others having family close is a HUGE advantage considering kids.
Virginia, and the Richmond area in particular, is about the only place east of Nashville/Franklin I'd consider living.
I like Minneapolis as well - BUT one of my friends is a regional sales manager with Minneapolis in his territory. Last week when he was there the temp. was -10/-15 overnight with wind, snow and highs in the low teens the next day.



So far as the numbers go and normal stipulations apply..............these are real numbers not guesses.

Dallas has a ~2.7% cost of living advantage over Richmond
Dallas has a ~18.5% (1.7% spread) state imposed tax burden advantage over Richmond
Dallas COL+tax advantage = ~4.4%
So an $95,600 income in Dallas is equal to $100K in Richmond.

Dallas has an 8% cost of living advantage over Minneapolis
Dallas has a 23.7% (3.2% spread) state imposed tax burden advantage over Minneapolis
Dallas COL+tax advantage = ~11.2%
An $88,800 income in Dallas = $100K in Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 08:46 PM
 
35 posts, read 67,775 times
Reputation: 32
As some of earlier post pointed out, if you want to be close to your family, you should choose Richmond.
If you want to lot of job opportunity and warmer weather, choose Dallas.
I lived in NVA for few years, Moved to Dallas few years back. I love it here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 PM
 
28 posts, read 28,201 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks so much for the advice! Making decisions now. Should have a decision within the next few days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 08:22 AM
 
360 posts, read 331,726 times
Reputation: 472
We looked at similar locations when deciding to move to Dallas. Minneapolis, Dallas, and a few others including Charleston, Rhode Island and San Jose. Ultimately we chose Dallas so I could stay home with kids and go back to work on my own terms. The job also required little to no travel for my husband. If it weren't for those two things we would probably be in Minneapolis right now as we have no family here. Its been really difficult and every vacation we have is spent visiting family so my kids can maintain their relationships. If your husband already has a job, and your family is elsewhere, I see little to no benefit from moving to Dallas.

Someone already said it, too. The relo packages are nowhere near what they used to be. We were moved a couple times by a big (Minneapolis food-based) company and the relos used to be a huge chunk of your compensation. Moving every couple years could be quite lucrative. The packages dried up quick in 2007-2008. Most of the relo packages we were looking at back in 2011 were similar to what you are describing, especially for a new hire. Maybe try negotiating for a signing bonus? Sometimes they have more wiggle room there.

Good luck making your decisions. Let us know how it goes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 AM
 
401 posts, read 524,332 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by keribeth818 View Post
We looked at similar locations when deciding to move to Dallas. Minneapolis, Dallas, and a few others including Charleston, Rhode Island and San Jose. Ultimately we chose Dallas so I could stay home with kids and go back to work on my own terms. The job also required little to no travel for my husband. If it weren't for those two things we would probably be in Minneapolis right now as we have no family here. Its been really difficult and every vacation we have is spent visiting family so my kids can maintain their relationships. If your husband already has a job, and your family is elsewhere, I see little to no benefit from moving to Dallas.

Someone already said it, too. The relo packages are nowhere near what they used to be. We were moved a couple times by a big (Minneapolis food-based) company and the relos used to be a huge chunk of your compensation. Moving every couple years could be quite lucrative. The packages dried up quick in 2007-2008. Most of the relo packages we were looking at back in 2011 were similar to what you are describing, especially for a new hire. Maybe try negotiating for a signing bonus? Sometimes they have more wiggle room there.

Good luck making your decisions. Let us know how it goes
+1

From my observation and experience signing bonus is strictly between you and your boss..... I have seen lots of companies provide very attractive signing bonuses up front and some not...... but you can always negotiate and have better chance getting things if you have other offer sitting on a table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2015, 03:34 PM
 
28 posts, read 28,201 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
+1

From my observation and experience signing bonus is strictly between you and your boss..... I have seen lots of companies provide very attractive signing bonuses up front and some not...... but you can always negotiate and have better chance getting things if you have other offer sitting on a table.
So, I have a $22,000 tuition payback due to my current company who paid for my MBA once I leave the company (otherwise I have to stay 2 years until this provision goes away). Job #1 in Richmond has offered a one-time bonus to cover the whole thing.

Job #2 didn't offer any tuition payback, however, they have a full relocation package (moving costs, closing, agency fees, etc.). However, the salary and bonus was lower than Job #1.

So, really it is looking like Job #1 even without a big relo package is being pretty generous and is ending up being the best option at the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 01:30 PM
 
401 posts, read 524,332 times
Reputation: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison345 View Post
So, I have a $22,000 tuition payback due to my current company who paid for my MBA once I leave the company (otherwise I have to stay 2 years until this provision goes away). Job #1 in Richmond has offered a one-time bonus to cover the whole thing.

Job #2 didn't offer any tuition payback, however, they have a full relocation package (moving costs, closing, agency fees, etc.). However, the salary and bonus was lower than Job #1.

So, really it is looking like Job #1 even without a big relo package is being pretty generous and is ending up being the best option at the end.
Yep, you can always ask major moving company to come out at your house and they provide free moving costs estimate from A to B location. As long as Job # 1 covers relo. thru lump sum or small portion but covers your expenses then makes no sense to even think about Job # 2.

IMO, if Job # 2 is aware of Job # 1 offer on table and not willing to take care of tuition payback and has lower salary (assuming you mean lower after making cost of living adjustment)...... then it means they don't think you are the best candidate for this job. That's why they are not willing to negotiate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top