U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:27 AM

28 posts, read 30,089 times

Advertisements

I need some help from some others who are familiar with Richmond, VA, Dallas, TX and Minneapolis, MN. Posting this in the Dallas, TX forum to get an understanding of pros/cons of the area as I make my consideration of job offers. I am looking for a place to stay more long-term, where my kids can grow up in the same area. So this is a big decision!

Here is my situation:

- I currently live in Harrisburg, PA and work for a large company in Marketing. I have been here for the last 6+ years and am not happy with the area. I would like to live in a bigger city with more amenities (shopping, restaurants, etc.) and culture. I am happy with my job, but I don't think I can take another year living in this area, plus I need to move houses at some point because we are in an awful school district and my oldest is starting Kindergarten this year.

- Previously to moving to PA, I lived in Minneapolis for about 2.5 years and loved the city. Hated the cold.

- I have two young kids and my husband works from home full-time and can live anywhere in the U.S.

- My family lives in MD and his family lives in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

- Every move I have made in the past with a company (3 total) have provided a complete relocation package (temp housing, lump sum payment, moving expenses (pack and move), closing costs, costs to ship car, etc.)

- My current house is great, I think it will show well. But we are in a bad school district and the market is not great. It could take a little while to sell.

- My biggest fear is being separated for too long from my family because my house will not sell quickly and that I am not going to get the relocation support I need for these opportunities.

Here is what I need to decide:

I have received 2 job offers and I have 1 offer to interview with a company in Minneapolis.

Job 1: Smaller company in Richmond, VA
- Director-level position
- Great base salary, great bonus
- Biggest downside is their relocation package; it only covers up to $10,000 of qualified moving expenses. I am just not sure how I am going to make this work
- Just visited the area over the weekend and really liked the area and it is close to my parents (2 hours 20 min away)
- It is within driving distance of my current home (4 hours), so I could commute back and forth until my house sells (my family would stay behind). But this is very stressful sounding for me and my family.

Job 2: Mid-size company in Dallas, TX (located in Irving to be exact)
- Senior Manager Position
- Offer details coming today, assuming it will be close to Job 1 or if not, I can negotiate my way through it
- Dallas is appealing because there are multiple companies in the area in my industry so I could stay put for awhile
- Have no idea what their relocation package will be....could be better, the same or worse than Job 1

Job 3: Large company in Minneapolis, MN
- Manager Position (similar to current position)
- I have not interviewed with them yet, but they want to bring me out next week. I am holding off until I make a decision on Job 1 and Job 2 before I make the commitment to interview. I think the likelihood of getting a job if I interview is high.
- They have stated they could meet requirements for a higher salary. Bonus potential probably won't be the same as the others
- Since they are a large company, my assumption is that relocation benefits will be much better than Job 1 or Job 2
- I really like Minneapolis, and it is closer to family, but I am concerned I might grow to hate the cold again. It is a risk. I already have lots of friends in this area, which is a plus

Questions for everyone:

1. Which job would you pick in my situation given what I am looking for and what the jobs are offering?

2. Do you have experience with living in Richmond, VA; Dallas, TX or Minneapolis, MN. If so, what are the pros/cons of each area?

3. Anyone that has been to all three areas? If so, which area do you like the most?

Thanks in advance for your help! I am stressing and am hitting up against decision deadlines. Job 1 needs an answer by tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:59 PM

2,092 posts, read 2,562,210 times
I pick Richmond based on the information you gave. It's closer to where you are now. It's closer to your family, and it's probably cheaper than Dallas.

You don't think $10,000 is enough to move? That seems fairly generous, especially considering how close you are to Richmond. It's only like 3 hours from you, right?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:47 PM

11,915 posts, read 22,175,381 times
I would also pick Richmond. I strongly believe that with kids, your life is A LOT easier when you have family within driving distance. Dallas is a 2.5 hour flight to either of your families and with kids, plane ticket expenses are up quickly.

I also just love the state of Virginia and your kids will be able to apply in-state to UVA! Weather-wise, Richmond is probably the best as it actually get all four seasons. Dallas has four seasons but we usually only have 2-3 weeks each of true fall and spring weather, 6 months of summer, and 2-3 months of winter. Richmond is a beautiful city, full of history; gorgeous terrain. I almost went to the University of Richmond....gorgeous campus.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
I pick Richmond based on the information you gave. It's closer to where you are now. It's closer to your family, and it's probably cheaper than Dallas.

You don't think $10,000 is enough to move? That seems fairly generous, especially considering how close you are to Richmond. It's only like 3 hours from you, right?
Richmond is exactly 4 hours away (a little more if you hit DC traffic).

I think I've been spoiled by the other companies I have worked for with relocation. The other companies gave me a lump sum of almost $10,000 to cover misc. costs + temp housing. Plus, they covered closing costs on my house and provided a buy-out option if my house didn't sell within 3 months.

My biggest worry is that my house will be on the market forever and I will be separated from the rest of my family for an unknown time period. The extra relocation benefits I have received in the past eliminated this stress. Does that make sense?

Old 01-12-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would also pick Richmond. I strongly believe that with kids, your life is A LOT easier when you have family within driving distance. Dallas is a 2.5 hour flight to either of your families and with kids, plane ticket expenses are up quickly.

I also just love the state of Virginia and your kids will be able to apply in-state to UVA! Weather-wise, Richmond is probably the best as it actually get all four seasons. Dallas has four seasons but we usually only have 2-3 weeks each of true fall and spring weather, 6 months of summer, and 2-3 months of winter. Richmond is a beautiful city, full of history; gorgeous terrain. I almost went to the University of Richmond....gorgeous campus.
Very good points. Thanks for your feedback!

Is Dallas pretty brutal during the summer? For some reason I was thinking that the Spring and Fall would be pretty nice temp wise.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison345 View Post
Richmond is exactly 4 hours away (a little more if you hit DC traffic).

I think I've been spoiled by the other companies I have worked for with relocation. The other companies gave me a lump sum of almost $10,000 to cover misc. costs + temp housing. Plus, they covered closing costs on my house and provided a buy-out option if my house didn't sell within 3 months.

My biggest worry is that my house will be on the market forever and I will be separated from the rest of my family for an unknown time period. The extra relocation benefits I have received in the past eliminated this stress. Does that make sense?
I think you've had some extremely a-typical relo packages, honestly. My company stopped the "white glove" relo packages for anyone under VP level back in 2008.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Very good points. Thanks for your feedback!

Is Dallas pretty brutal during the summer? For some reason I was thinking that the Spring and Fall would be pretty nice temp wise.
Highs in the 90's are common from May through mid October. July and August usually have a long stretch of 100+ degree days, the worst part being that it doesn't cool off overnight. When the "low" is in the 75-82 range, you just can never feel cool! We've had anywhere between 10-50 days over 100 in recent years. Spring and Fall are nice, they just don't last long!

Old 01-12-2015, 02:32 PM

425 posts, read 570,702 times
Quote:
I need some help from some others who are familiar with Richmond, VA, Dallas, TX and Minneapolis, MN. Posting this in the Dallas, TX forum to get an understanding of pros/cons of the area as I make my consideration of job offers. I am looking for a place to stay more long-term, where my kids can grow up in the same area. So this is a big decision!

Here is my situation:

- I currently live in Harrisburg, PA and work for a large company in Marketing. I have been here for the last 6+ years and am not happy with the area. I would like to live in a bigger city with more amenities (shopping, restaurants, etc.) and culture. I am happy with my job, but I don't think I can take another year living in this area, plus I need to move houses at some point because we are in an awful school district and my oldest is starting Kindergarten this year.

- Previously to moving to PA, I lived in Minneapolis for about 2.5 years and loved the city. Hated the cold.

- I have two young kids and my husband works from home full-time and can live anywhere in the U.S.

- My family lives in MD and his family lives in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

- Every move I have made in the past with a company (3 total) have provided a complete relocation package (temp housing, lump sum payment, moving expenses (pack and move), closing costs, costs to ship car, etc.)

- My current house is great, I think it will show well. But we are in a bad school district and the market is not great. It could take a little while to sell.

- My biggest fear is being separated for too long from my family because my house will not sell quickly and that I am not going to get the relocation support I need for these opportunities.

Here is what I need to decide:

I have received 2 job offers and I have 1 offer to interview with a company in Minneapolis.

Job 1: Smaller company in Richmond, VA
- Director-level position
- Great base salary, great bonus
- Biggest downside is their relocation package; it only covers up to $10,000 of qualified moving expenses. I am just not sure how I am going to make this work
- Just visited the area over the weekend and really liked the area and it is close to my parents (2 hours 20 min away)
- It is within driving distance of my current home (4 hours), so I could commute back and forth until my house sells (my family would stay behind). But this is very stressful sounding for me and my family.

Job 2: Mid-size company in Dallas, TX (located in Irving to be exact)
- Senior Manager Position
- Offer details coming today, assuming it will be close to Job 1 or if not, I can negotiate my way through it
- Dallas is appealing because there are multiple companies in the area in my industry so I could stay put for awhile
- Have no idea what their relocation package will be....could be better, the same or worse than Job 1

Job 3: Large company in Minneapolis, MN
- Manager Position (similar to current position)
- I have not interviewed with them yet, but they want to bring me out next week. I am holding off until I make a decision on Job 1 and Job 2 before I make the commitment to interview. I think the likelihood of getting a job if I interview is high.
- They have stated they could meet requirements for a higher salary. Bonus potential probably won't be the same as the others
- Since they are a large company, my assumption is that relocation benefits will be much better than Job 1 or Job 2
- I really like Minneapolis, and it is closer to family, but I am concerned I might grow to hate the cold again. It is a risk. I already have lots of friends in this area, which is a plus

Questions for everyone:

1. Which job would you pick in my situation given what I am looking for and what the jobs are offering?

2. Do you have experience with living in Richmond, VA; Dallas, TX or Minneapolis, MN. If so, what are the pros/cons of each area?

3. Anyone that has been to all three areas? If so, which area do you like the most?

Thanks in advance for your help! I am stressing and am hitting up against decision deadlines. Job 1 needs an answer by tomorrow.
I was living in Raleigh, NC (Cary to be specific) few years ago. I have visited Richmond few times as my uncle lives in DC (Fairfax to be specific) and used to visit his family very often. I had an option to move to Cedar Rapids, IA and Detroit, MI (excellent offers from big companies at both locations..... not as cold as MN but still pretty cold for me ). I also had an offer from another big company in Dallas and decided to move here. I am pretty happy with the decision I made.

I didn't see what type of marketing position are you in and what type of job opportunity each of these 3 cities have in your and your husband's field. You also need to keep in mind that historically US economy goes up and down every 5 to 10 years, so you need to make sure you are located at a place where you can find another job in the worst case scenario. My decision making would also involve each 3 companies market stability and potential growth opportunities.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:34 PM

425 posts, read 570,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Highs in the 90's are common from May through mid October. July and August usually have a long stretch of 100+ degree days, the worst part being that it doesn't cool off overnight. When the "low" is in the 75-82 range, you just can never feel cool! We've had anywhere between 10-50 days over 100 in recent years. Spring and Fall are nice, they just don't last long!
To be honest I felt 2011 had brutal summer. Since then it's better but we are still in drought zone for several years now.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
I was living in Raleigh, NC (Cary to be specific) few years ago. I have visited Richmond few times as my uncle lives in DC (Fairfax to be specific) and used to visit his family very often. I had an option to move to Cedar Rapids, IA and Detroit, MI (excellent offers from big companies at both locations..... not as cold as MN but still pretty cold for me ). I also had an offer from another big company in Dallas and decided to move here. I am pretty happy with the decision I made.

I didn't see what type of marketing position are you in and what type of job opportunity each of these 3 cities have in your and your husband's field. You also need to keep in mind that historically US economy goes up and down every 5 to 10 years, so you need to make sure you are located at a place where you can find another job in the worst case scenario. My decision making would also involve each 3 companies market stability and potential growth opportunities.
Good points. I work for a Food CPG company. All jobs are associated with Food CPG. Currently I am a Brand Manager with an MBA. However, I could work for any company that needs Brand Managers. In the future, I would in fact welcome the change and get outside of the Food category. There are many other great companies to work for, but less than desirable locations for me.

My husband works in biotech sales and works from home. He has been with the company for a long time and can live anywhere in the U.S. because he works from home! Provides a lot of flexibility for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or