U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 04:13 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,279,188 times

Advertisements

Research what turtle just posted...that's the closest your going to Get to crunchy.
Meetup.com has has some crunchy peeps groups..look there too.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 04:27 PM

44 posts, read 58,540 times
I lived in Cleveland Park for 15 years before we came to TX for my husband's work. You won't find anything like DC here--it's not the east coast. Even the neighborhoods people
are mentioning are not going to be anything like DC. I live in the Lakewood area and no one walks anywhere (even if they can, they don't). If you're going to move to Plano (which is like moving from DC proper to say, Springfield, VA--it's FAR from the city) then you'll just have to get used to a new normal. Which includes a lot of driving.
I'm not trying to be negative but honestly Plano is the SERIOUS burbs.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:00 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,135,299 times
Richardson actually has a decent cohort of crunchies, mostly in the Heights area. Lots of young families, many of whom insist on walking to the Heights Shopping Center or the shops at Belt Line & Coit.

We're rumored to be getting a Dairy Queen and a Dunkin Donuts on the Dallas side of Coit at some point. And a new (drive-through) Starbucks and a Krispy Kreme at Belt Line & 75. That's in addition to the "crunchy" chains Taco Joint and Alamo Drafthouse. I know most of that is very corporate, but Texans love their Dairy Queen. And who doesn't like DD coffee?

But this is definitely NOT Portland. Most of Richardson isn't all that walkable, though we do have some great parks. We also have a weekly farmer's market and a lot of people here belong to co-ops. Lots of people keep chickens too.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:19 PM

900 posts, read 892,089 times
All I have to add is bless your heart ��

Old 01-12-2015, 08:08 PM

684 posts, read 572,231 times
I'm from the NE and I have visited VA before. Texas will be a let down for you no matter where you go. If you want portland then go to portland and be happy. Haven't you looked into maybe staying in VA but just a different town/city ? Nothing in the south can replicate the east coast, sorry .

Old 01-12-2015, 08:16 PM

511 posts, read 767,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabijo View Post
Hi there,

We are a mildly crunchy young family of 4 currently living in the suburbs of norther VA. By crunchy, I mean outdoor loving, diversity loving, organic farm-fresh food and CSA loving, public commute and city-walking loving. There is a chance we will be relocating to the Plano area for my husband's job.

I see that there are a lot of toll-roads. I am really interested in an area where I can walk to local destinations from my house, shop at farmer's markets and participate in CSA's, have access to green places outside. I know this isn't Oregon, but is there a neighborhood that would help meet these interests? I just want to avoid having to drive everywhere all the time.

I have 2 young children and we like to take them for bike rides in our bikes with the bike trailer. Are there good sidewalks in Plano? I've heard there are big, wide roads, and I just picture everyone driving around in SUV's and pick-up trucks, and no body walking on sidewalks unless its downtown. Please forgive the stereotypes, these are just my impressions. I'd love to find out otherwise.

I'd love to know about any other resources that you could share with me about being close to farms, parks, green areas, fresh air, interfaith communities, etc.

Thank you!
Are there any other choices?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:02 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,763,880 times
As someone who has lived in both VA and Portland, all I can say is come here to check it out. Texas is just different and you have to adjust your expectations. I'm not even sure what "crunchy" means but you will find organic stuff, outdoor stuff here in Plano. It may not be pretty as OR or VA but it is here. With regards to sidewalks...I'm actually quite impressed regardless of what the naysayers might say. They are quite clever here with their power line easements and you will find bike paths galore. They might not be pretty bike paths and you have to cross some busy roads but they are here and for your use. Each weekend my son bikes alongside my hubby while he is out for his jog. On the weekends, you will see flocks of cyclists here. If I wished, I could walk anywhere to do my shopping....it would be a bit of a walk but my kids can both walk to school, walk to the grocery store, etc. In my opinion, Plano is all about the family and we are very happy here....and we are transplants.

For the record and my comments are a bit outdated....we always had to drive when we lived in Oregon. Same with DC where it was a hideous nightmare getting around far surpassing Texas. Unless you live in town, most of us lived in the burbs where you had to drive. Plano isn't any different. The only place where we could really walk was in Europe where we lived in a little town and could walk to places. It was wonderful. Unfortunately, we haven't duplicated that experience in the US....especially living in the burbs.

My biggest beef I guess with Texas is the lack of natural beauty. Then again, I really haven't explored. We are here more of the better quality of life that Texas can offer. Plano is really a nice place but again, you have to come here and check it out.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:04 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia411 View Post
I'm from the NE and I have visited VA before. Texas will be a let down for you no matter where you go. If you want portland then go to portland and be happy. Haven't you looked into maybe staying in VA but just a different town/city ? Nothing in the south can replicate the east coast, sorry .
As if that's an overall negative. I mean really.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 PM

374 posts, read 481,235 times
Being from the suburbs of New York, where every street seems to look like a movie set for beautiful homes and huge trees, I can tell you that you must look to Texas for positive things other than green, cozy neighborhoods. The advantages here are cheap taxes, great highways, tidy homes, and retail out the wazoo. You literally have everything at your fingertips, which makes life very, very easy. Especially if you have kids, where you have to run out at 10 pm for school project supplies.

On the down side, for people from the east coast, Texas will be bland and commercial. Neighborhoods don't gradually evolve with cool stores and shops-they are built by developers to look like the kind of stores that evolve. If you can accept the differences, then move here. If you are looking for a woodsy, walkable neighborhood with soul and cool shops, you might be disappointed.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:40 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,952,734 times
You can't find what you're looking for here. At least not with kids in tow. Downtown Plano is a fun area that you could easily live by and walk to and there are some great older homes in the area. And there's a park, access to DART, and a farmer's market nearby. But the schools are some of the weaker ones in PISD (which still top a heck of lot of the ones in the metroplex).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas