U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:51 PM

363 posts, read 393,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoTex View Post
The Nebraska Furniture Mart is opening in Spring 2015. Maybe you can hold off until
they are opened and check them out.
Shop Furniture, Appliances, Electronics, Flooring & Home Décor | NFM
Thanks I forgot about that place. It's a mammoth of a store. I'll hold off because my husband will force me too! If it were up to me, I'd buy everything NOW and finance it at a low interest rate. But my hubby is against financing anything except our house. So, I have to be a good girl and wait!! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 PM

356 posts, read 251,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison81 View Post
Is it possible to find decent quality furniture that is budget friendly? I've checked out The Dump...any other suggestions? I'm going from 1800sq ft to 2700 sq ft. Lots of rooms to fill!! I'm a "bargainista!"
Weir's Plano - store and outlet both in one location.
Freed's on 635, they generally run sales.
Haverty's
Macy's
JCP
Freedom Furniture
Stacy Furniture

Do not finance your furniture. Shop the sales and pay cash. I found a gorgeous dining room table last year, Farmhouse style for $199 last year at Weir's and got chairs for $69 a piece. I was staging a home and needed nice looking dining room furniture. Turns out it was great furniture and I used it in my new home.I get accent pieces at Wayfair and Pier1.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:27 AM

10,546 posts, read 7,500,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
Weir's outlet. I would also suggest consignment stores for case goods.
I've furnished my various homes with these two sources since 1974.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:18 AM

461 posts, read 771,390 times
I went to the Weirs outlet this past weekend. I'm looking for a new bedroom set. I've got to say I wasn't all that impressed. Most of the furniture appeared to be made up of 80% MDF and even the ones the salesperson told me was real wood, were made out of rubberwood.

I'm a firm believer in paying for quality pieces as I can. Ive got a classic style that will never go out, so I want my furniture to last.

Does anyone know of a furniture store that actually sells wood furniture that is crafted out of maple, oak, birch etc? Or know of a furniture maker I can hire to build pieces for me?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:21 PM

10,546 posts, read 7,500,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
Does anyone know of a furniture store that actually sells wood furniture that is crafted out of maple, oak, birch etc? Or know of a furniture maker I can hire to build pieces for me?
If you're willing to travel to Tyler, there's The Wood Shed.. I've no first-hand experience with them but I've heard good things about them.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
If you're willing to travel to Tyler, there's The Wood Shed.. I've no first-hand experience with them but I've heard good things about them.
Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely check them out.

Old 01-15-2015, 01:35 PM

401 posts, read 524,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
I went to the Weirs outlet this past weekend. I'm looking for a new bedroom set. I've got to say I wasn't all that impressed. Most of the furniture appeared to be made up of 80% MDF and even the ones the salesperson told me was real wood, were made out of rubberwood.

I'm a firm believer in paying for quality pieces as I can. Ive got a classic style that will never go out, so I want my furniture to last.

Go to Amish Furniture....... don't expect a bargain price when you need a quality and build something that fits your requirement.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
Go to Amish Furniture....... don't expect a bargain price when you need a quality and build something that fits your requirement.
I don't expect a bargain price. I'm willing to pay for quality furniture. With that said, I've been to Woodland furniture in Plano and saw some great real wood pieces with dovetail joints, excellent craftsmanship and they weren't much more than the MDF junk sold in most furniture stores, even the high end ones.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:20 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,494,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
My family has purchased numerous items at Havertys. It is not the cheapest, but it holds up well. Same can be said for Crate and Barrell and their couches. We had a very poor experience with Restoration Hardware.

I am sure you can find cheaper places, but I would suggest that you buy slowly and buy good pieces instead. Havertys used to have a deal that there was no interest if you paid it off in a year. We would buy one piece, slowly make payments, and then buy another piece when we could afford it. It took a couple of years to get what we want, but the furniture is still used by my various family members 15 years later.
Can you tell me about your experience with Restoration Hardware? I am having mixed doubts about my experience so far. I want the TV easel they sell. I was going to order on line but was a bit shocked by their delivery charge. I also had questions. The website is beautiful but not very informative. I called a store about 2 hours from me looking for more info and even though the sales person answered most of my questions she was fairly pushy on wanting to get off the phone. Every time she answered my question, she was basically telling me good bye and I had to stop her and say, "well I have a question about this...." I definitely had to keep her on the line.

She gave me a tip to visit the outlet store an additional hour away which I thought was nice. I called the outlet store and was told they would be getting several in and they are having a 40% off sale. It might have a dig or two but huge savings. I figured it was worth the trip to save several hundred dollars. I made a day of it, drove there as they said some were coming in that day. I arrived and was completely rebuffed by one of the sales people. She had no idea if they had gotten any in and "they weren't allowed to shop from the back" she said. It might be there and when they get around to bringing everything out later in the day, then she will know.

Since I had driven almost 3 hours, I decided to ask another employee who was much more helpful. He went right to the back and said nothing came in. I appreciated him checking for me at least. I had other things planned and left. Since I was passing the store again on my way home I called from the car and got another associate and she said they did in fact get one in. Ok great. We arrived at the store and it was not out yet, so she brought it out and was extremely helpful but it was a different kind and way beyond what I wanted to spend. I was looking for the wood one (which is on sale on the website) and the one they had was steel and triple the cost so even with the small dings and so forth, it was still more expensive that buying the wood one from the website and having it delivered.

Anyway, I ordered it this evening from the website (I should have just stayed home) and now wondering what type of service I will get. I did get the confirmation email and I should be getting a call in the next two weeks on a delivery date. I just found talking to the 2 different stores was really a mixed bag on customer service.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:25 PM

5,955 posts, read 7,498,055 times
Top quality solid wood furniture is plentiful and more affordable at the consignment store such as the one near weirs in lakeside center in Plano off Preston a little south of spring creek. Great stuff that is lightly used at worst and is top quality stuff coming out of downsizing couples moving from the 5000 SF home to a smaller place since the kids Re out of the nest. Give it a look and let's hear your feedback. It was great four years ago when we moved to our larger higher ceiling place from Houston they will deliver too.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 01-19-2015 at 09:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or