U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times

Advertisements

Just perusing this thread. Thought it was interesting. I'm a doc and perhaps I can shed some light into this topic.

There is NO such thing as a great PREMED program. It doesn't matter where you go. Don't drink the Kool Aid. All the college subjects are the same. It doesn't even matter if you are a "premed student". You can get into medicine by studying just about any major. I used to be an engineer. My brother used to be a finance major working in the venture capitalist industry. I have buddies who majored in psychology, business, engineering, fine arts, math, etc... As long as you take the required "premed" courses then you are golden.

To get into med school, it really doesn't matter which university you go to. What is more important is allowing your daughter to pick the school SHE wants to. As long as she stays focused and has the numbers, then her chances of gaining med school acceptances are probably the same. That being said, avoid community college. The one mistake students and parents get themselves into is trying to analyze each university based on their statistics. None of that matters.

What I do think is important is the financial aspect of it. Making it through medical school is a very expensive venture. If you plan on paying for everything along the way, you are talking about 8 years of tuition (college and med school) before she makes a measly income as an intern/resident. My suggestion to any parent is to NEVER NEVER ruin your own retirement for the sake of your child's college tuition. If it makes more financial sense to stick with public universities and public medical schools, then do so. Do not choose a private school because you think her CHANCES of success are higher. That doesn't exist. If you have the money to pay for private university tuition and/or medical school, then do so as long as you are comfortable with it.

After adding up all of her scholarships, potential tuition, housing and books, I would just pick the best combination that is the cheapest. What I would advise is to make sure your daughter understands exactly what she is getting for every dollar of tuition money she is paying. For instance, does it really make much of a difference if she pays $40k per year for SMU vs $10k for UT Dallas? (just hypothetical numbers. I have no idea what the schools costs nowadays).

In the field of medicine, it really only matters where you completed your residency/fellowship. Believe if or not, even the actual medical school doesn't really matter. Fields such as business and law are a different story. They rely on "name" to a much greater degree. But in medicine, your actual RESIDENCY training makes the most difference. That's where you stamp your reputation and skill set. It doesn't matter much if you are a Harvard

Go cheap. She'll find her way on her own. Don't do her any favors by paying for everything and sacrificing your own retirement. She'll be smarter that way..

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 08:55 AM

216 posts, read 188,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove2 View Post
Let me say this again: I was on the Hopkins med admissions committee for 6 years while I was completing my MD/PhD degree. I have a pretty good idea as to what adcoms care about and what they don't care about.

You are confusing causation with correlation. Over half of the med students at my school went to Ivy League universities. But going to the Ivies didnt get them into med school -- they would have gotten in regardless of where they went to college. It just so happens that the Ivies get a disproportionate amount of talent.

I know this for a fact because we actually blinded reviewers to undergrad institution for a year and compared statistics. The year that we blinded undergrad institution resulted in no significant difference in admission percentages based on college.

This is incorrect.

Baylor University || Prehealth Programs || Baylor<sup>2</sup> Medical Track

Maybe so, but it is still better to take the most money possible and pay the lowest tuition/fees possible and usually that is at a "less prestigious" school.

You might not get into an "elite" medical school, but if you apply to a broad range of allopathic programs with those stats and still can't get in, then there is a huge red flag on your application (poor interview, poor letters of rec, disciplinary action in college, etc)

True but if your goal is to become a doctor and you aren't dead set on a particular specialty, then there's nothing wrong with going the DO route.

Going to a DO school is a lot better than going to a foreign med school.

I'm talking only about admissions to med school. Does Rice have better research options CC or a lower tier 4 year school? Sure. But if your goal is to get into a medical school, then those advantages aren't worth the extra thousands you would take out in loans or pay up front.

If you can get into Rice for the same cost to you as a less expensive, lower prestige school, then by all means go to Rice. I'm simply saying that the advantages that Rice carries aren't worth the extra cost in terms of medical school admissions.

I have to agree with a lot of what you said. I was an academic advisor at a community college for a number of years and advised many of our students who were interested in completing their first two years at a community college, then transferring to a four year university in hopes of being accepted into medical school. What I found out was that admission committees, at state medical schools, were more interested in how you did in your science pre-reqs (organic chem I & II, inorganic chem I & II, bio for science majors I & II, and physics for non science majors I & II) and didn't seem to give more weight whether your attended Baylor, DCCD, or UT Austin. If I had a kid I would highly encourage them to attend a Texas Community College the first two years (you really can't beat $800.00 in tuition a semester) unless a university put some serious money on the table and I would save my child's college savings for medical school.

ETA: I had a lot of community college students who were accepted into medical school. I would have to say that their pre-med science GPA ranged from 3.6 to 3.8 and I would have to pull my folder to see what their MCAT scores were. Honestly, being accepted into medical school is about the individual and their story because nearly everybody who applies is going to be a higher achiever with great scores and gps.....and starting at a community college is a great story.

Old 02-22-2017, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 893 times
[quote=EDS_;38006665]Hey something I know a little about.

My son is a Baylor grad (BS Bio, minor physics) and he is now an MS-2 at UTSW.

I'd rank the Texas schools like this..........

1. Baylor (BS bio in particular) UT (bio - they have a bio degree that is geared towards prospective MD types and it's world class), Rice (bio programs - it is tiny and VERY hard to get into) A&M (BS bio as well)

Reviving an older thread, can you pl let me know or send the links of the UT Bio program geared for pros MD , same for A%M

My son is an 11th grader, 4.0 unweighted gpa and 2nd in the rank in his class, doing good and wants to become doctor. He is aiming at UT and looking for a strong major he can put int he application as 1st choice

Old 02-22-2017, 04:12 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,120,225 times
[quote=reachip2005;47287011]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Hey something I know a little about.

1. Baylor (BS bio in particular) UT (bio - they have a bio degree that is geared towards prospective MD types and it's world class), Rice (bio programs - it is tiny and VERY hard to get into) A&M (BS bio as well)

Reviving an older thread, can you pl let me know or send the links of the UT Bio program geared for pros MD , same for A%M

My son is an 11th grader, 4.0 unweighted gpa and 2nd in the rank in his class, doing good and wants to become doctor. He is aiming at UT and looking for a strong major he can put int he application as 1st choice
Will do, but later tonight. I want to make sure I get you the correct paths.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:21 PM

[quote=reachip2005;47287011]
Quote:
Hey something I know a little about.

These topics have been on my mind lately. My son turned in his ranking lists for the main residency match just a few hours ago.

This is info. from UT not me. The three UT degrees most often earned by those who go on to medical school are
1). BS Biology by far, 2). BS Biochemistry, 3) a rough tie between BS Molecular Biology and BS Chemistry and then a few with degrees ranging from engineering to music to sociology to business to history. That jibes with undergraduate degree popularity at most medical schools. Last year UTSW's MS-1 class undergrad degree make up was roughly 55% BS/BA biology, 30% biochemistry, chemistry, molecular biology, engineering, math etc. and the rest social sciences, business and whatnot.

You've likely seen this but here's some UT Pre-health info. (the same general things apply at A&M, Baylor and Rice).

Shouldn't use AP or IB credits because a number of medical schools won't accept them as prerequisites.
https://cns.utexas.edu/images/CNS/He...50716Final.pdf

Pre-medical check-list.
https://cns.utexas.edu/health-profes...ys/pre-medical

Best of luck to your boy.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:24 AM

372 posts, read 566,355 times
Also take into account her maturity level for going away.

My kid was accepted to Texas Tech, it didn't work out due to she went to study and was surrounded by people who wanted to party. While my kid was mature in the sense to study, she could not handle her roommates and lost her confidence. She came home and has been at Collin College, doing really well with paralegal studies, going into pre law. Her coming home was the best decision and she was able to get her confidence back, work, pay down her loans and go to school.

Maybe UTD would not be a bad choice if you see she might not adjust being away. Just take that into account, plus living at home can save tons of money.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Life View Post
Also take into account her maturity level for going away.

My kid was accepted to Texas Tech, it didn't work out due to she went to study and was surrounded by people who wanted to party. While my kid was mature in the sense to study, she could not handle her roommates and lost her confidence. She came home and has been at Collin College, doing really well with paralegal studies, going into pre law. Her coming home was the best decision and she was able to get her confidence back, work, pay down her loans and go to school.

Maybe UTD would not be a bad choice if you see she might not adjust being away. Just take that into account, plus living at home can save tons of money.
Glad your kiddo righted the ship so to speak.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:20 PM

205 posts, read 183,455 times
Quote:

These topics have been on my mind lately. My son turned in his ranking lists for the main residency match just a few hours ago.
Ah the match..... she's quite the mistress. Hope these next couple of weeks for him aren't too nerve wracking

Old 02-23-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
Ah the match..... she's quite the mistress. Hope these next couple of weeks for him aren't too nerve wracking
I talked to him today.......one of this advisors took my kid and some other MS-4s to lunch, all are in the match. He told them to drink a couple of beers and calm down - nothing they can do now but pass the time and focus on rotations.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 3,104 times
Quote:
he also mentions OU and 'Bamer.......he is correct they do heavily recruit top Texas students with nice financial packages.....as does Arkansas and Mississippi.......Arkansas is a very safe campus and surrounding city....Ole' Miss and Starksville (Mississippi State) have some rougher edges, but attract a lot of Texas students (especially Ole' Miss) and OU does as well........getting at least in state tuition rates with her grades is a high probability.....but again it needs to be about WELL MORE than money and cost
My D got into UT, Baylor, and Arkansas. She shortlisted Baylor vs. Arkansas because she wanted a mid-size university. She learned this week that she would be an Arkansas Honors Fellow, which is a full ride. So they are attempting to buy her, but she is also super excited.

Any issues going this route?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas