U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-13-2015, 08:54 AM
 
485 posts, read 520,081 times
Reputation: 828

Advertisements

I wanted to help my grandmother on this for her house. My grandfather used to do this for her before he passed away. I looked up her appraised value on dallascad.org, and it's likely quite a bit more than the house would ever actually sell for given that her house has some issues that she hasn't fixed. It looks like the next round of taxes is due 1/31, so I'm guessing it's too late to protest that appraisal? Is it correct that the next appraisal comes out May 31st, and there's 30 days from that date to protest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-13-2015, 08:58 AM
 
3,029 posts, read 6,909,639 times
Reputation: 3190
You are correct about not being able to protest the 2014 taxes. Go to the DCAD website to make sure of the dates and keep track of your preliminary appraised value for 2015. Take photos of any damage and condition issues, and try to find a realtor to help you get some comps. Or simply hire a registered property tax consultant to do this for you. They generally will only charge a fee if they get a value reduction; typically a percentage of the tax savings. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 09:15 AM
 
485 posts, read 520,081 times
Reputation: 828
I think I may go the registered property tax consultant route since I feel the appraised value is so far out of whack right now. If they could get me a significant reduction in 2015 that was used as a baseline for future years, I could just handle all the subsequent protests. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 11:01 AM
 
Location: North Texas
23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Reputation: 26656
So according to Dallas CAD, my property was last revalued in 2013. I thought for sure my property taxes would have shot up by now. Are they done with their revaluations for taxes this year, or should I keep checking?

Stupid questions, I know...but I try to push property taxes out of my mind until it's time to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 11:17 AM
 
261 posts, read 357,766 times
Reputation: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So according to Dallas CAD, my property was last revalued in 2013. I thought for sure my property taxes would have shot up by now. Are they done with their revaluations for taxes this year, or should I keep checking?

Stupid questions, I know...but I try to push property taxes out of my mind until it's time to pay.
They appraise the house on Jan 1st and post them online May 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 12:41 PM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
29,920 posts, read 34,526,470 times
Reputation: 35918
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball123 View Post
They appraise the house on Jan 1st and post them online May 1st.
And you have until May 31st to file a protest.

Get an agent in your Grandmothers area to run sales figures and look at the house. They can give you the advice to fight the appraisal.

Then when it's time to sell, give this agent 1st shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Austin
7,077 posts, read 16,889,211 times
Reputation: 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
I wanted to help my grandmother on this for her house. My grandfather used to do this for her before he passed away. I looked up her appraised value on dallascad.org, and it's likely quite a bit more than the house would ever actually sell for given that her house has some issues that she hasn't fixed. It looks like the next round of taxes is due 1/31, so I'm guessing it's too late to protest that appraisal? Is it correct that the next appraisal comes out May 31st, and there's 30 days from that date to protest?
I'm an Arbitrator for the Comptroller's office, so I see many cases come across my desk every year. Each year, the house is assessed based on perceived value on Jan 1st of the tax year. The next value will be sent out at the end of April thru beginning of May, depending on how far ahead or behind they are. From when you receive your notice of value, you then have 30 days to protest, so everyone technically has a different final day.

If you protest online, you will lose your opportunity to have an informal hearing in person. If you don't like the value they give you, then you automatically go to a formal hearing. Many people have found the online protest to be unfriendly and they rather schmooze someone in person at an informal hearing so just know which route you rather take.

As for your statement of getting a new baseline, that's not quite how it works. The values are computerized/automated. Your value could go right back up the very next year. The only thing that wouldn't go all the way back up is the actual tax amount because you now have a new baseline for the 10% cap if this is your grandmother's homestead.

For example, if the value is $200k and you successfully get it lowered to $150k based on condition, there is nothing stopping the computer algorithm from putting it back in line with the neighbors at $200+ again. The computer knows nothing about condition, only rating categories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:20 PM
 
485 posts, read 520,081 times
Reputation: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I'm an Arbitrator for the Comptroller's office, so I see many cases come across my desk every year. Each year, the house is assessed based on perceived value on Jan 1st of the tax year. The next value will be sent out at the end of April thru beginning of May, depending on how far ahead or behind they are. From when you receive your notice of value, you then have 30 days to protest, so everyone technically has a different final day.

If you protest online, you will lose your opportunity to have an informal hearing in person. If you don't like the value they give you, then you automatically go to a formal hearing. Many people have found the online protest to be unfriendly and they rather schmooze someone in person at an informal hearing so just know which route you rather take.

As for your statement of getting a new baseline, that's not quite how it works. The values are computerized/automated. Your value could go right back up the very next year. The only thing that wouldn't go all the way back up is the actual tax amount because you now have a new baseline for the 10% cap if this is your grandmother's homestead.

For example, if the value is $200k and you successfully get it lowered to $150k based on condition, there is nothing stopping the computer algorithm from putting it back in line with the neighbors at $200+ again. The computer knows nothing about condition, only rating categories.
This is good information, thank you.

Point taken about how the algorithm works. However, wouldn't it at least be easier to protest in 2016 by just saying "A successful 2015 protest yielded this valuation based on these factors, and there have been no substantial changes in the past year..."

I'll have to weigh in person vs online. One concern I'd have about in-person is my grandmother's health. I'm not positive she'd be able or willing to attend a hearing. Can all the schmoozing be done by me or by a hired rep given my grandmother's consent? (This could be good practice for me when I own a home!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Austin
7,077 posts, read 16,889,211 times
Reputation: 9484
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
This is good information, thank you.

Point taken about how the algorithm works. However, wouldn't it at least be easier to protest in 2016 by just saying "A successful 2015 protest yielded this valuation based on these factors, and there have been no substantial changes in the past year..."

I'll have to weigh in person vs online. One concern I'd have about in-person is my grandmother's health. I'm not positive she'd be able or willing to attend a hearing. Can all the schmoozing be done by me or by a hired rep given my grandmother's consent? (This could be good practice for me when I own a home!)
You can obtain a 1 sentence statement from your grandmother stating she's given you permission to discuss the tax value on 123 Main St.

As for referencing a 2016 value from a 2015 award, it's easier said than done. If values continue to raise, even houses that are out-dated continue to raise in value. I go in every year for 1 home owner. This past year, I told him to save his money as I didn't think I could get anything lowered. He told me to still go in and check was in the mail. I went in and was able to lower his value by $53k. How? I don't know. I got the guy on a good day? The proposed value was definitely in line with the neighborhood, but the reduced value was also about $5k above what I got it lowered to last year, based on condition. Though it's been lowered each year, it continues to be posted as market value in line with the neighbors each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top