U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2016, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,913 posts, read 9,602,177 times
Reputation: 5326

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejoy_family View Post
This is a realignment year. At the last snapshot (in October) Mckinney has 2 6A's and a very large 5A. I've heard they won't build the 4th high school until the existing 3 reach 3000 each. McKinney North is under construction now to build out to 3k capacity.
McKinney High moved up to 6A in the recent alignment. High has moved between the two classifications more than once, its enrollment is right at the border. Boyd has been 6A since about their second year of existence but isn't a huge 6A school like Allen or the Plano schools.

The ISD board decided to expand the existing schools to be 6A to either prolong building a fourth high school... or to never build one. The construction at North is complimenting a similar expansion at High that was finished a couple of years ago. North was under capacity before the expansion, but its zone has by far the most undeveloped land in McKinney. Boyd and High's catchment area is close to build out. I am sure if the area north of 380 starts booming... and there are several large subdivisions coming up like mushrooms already... that there might be some alignment of the zones to even things out.


If there ever were a fourth high school, it would most likely be north of North. Which would lead to some interesting debates as to what to name it. McKinney More North of North High School?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2016, 02:29 PM
 
96 posts, read 87,374 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
McKinney High moved up to 6A in the recent alignment. High has moved between the two classifications more than once, its enrollment is right at the border. Boyd has been 6A since about their second year of existence but isn't a huge 6A school like Allen or the Plano schools.

The ISD board decided to expand the existing schools to be 6A to either prolong building a fourth high school... or to never build one. The construction at North is complimenting a similar expansion at High that was finished a couple of years ago. North was under capacity before the expansion, but its zone has by far the most undeveloped land in McKinney. Boyd and High's catchment area is close to build out. I am sure if the area north of 380 starts booming... and there are several large subdivisions coming up like mushrooms already... that there might be some alignment of the zones to even things out.


If there ever were a fourth high school, it would most likely be north of North. Which would lead to some interesting debates as to what to name it. McKinney More North of North High School?
Boyd = 2846
McKinney = 2743
North =2094

Cutoff for 6A is 2149. McKinney is way over and North only stayed under because of some rezoning. North was at capacity or near 4 years ago and rezoning has kept it under until the construction can be complete.

There are apartments popping up all over the McKinney ISD portion of Fairview. McKinney use to have intra-district open enrollment. In other words if you lived in McKinney you could attend any of the schools as long as you provided your own transportation. However that was when McKinney was under performing and they have since pulled up their rating.

Prosper stayed under the 6A cutoff this time but will go up in the 2018 realignment. Prosper high has core facilities for around 2100 and they are at that now (2210) and will be above their capacity at the start of school next year. If you don't have a high schooler or won't have a high schooler in the next 10 years in won't matter. If you will have a high schooler there is a strong chance they get rezoned or some of their friends will...

Prosper is a good school with well above average ratings and excellent sports programs (both boys and girls).

Prosper High School in PROSPER, TX | Best High Schools | US News

You can use the USNEWS website to look up the schools within a reasonable driving distance of where you and/or your spouse will be commuting. Some schools may be too new to be listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,913 posts, read 9,602,177 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejoy_family View Post
Boyd = 2846
McKinney = 2743
North =2094

Cutoff for 6A is 2149. McKinney is way over and North only stayed under because of some rezoning. North was at capacity or near 4 years ago and rezoning has kept it under until the construction can be complete.

There are apartments popping up all over the McKinney ISD portion of Fairview. McKinney use to have intra-district open enrollment. In other words if you lived in McKinney you could attend any of the schools as long as you provided your own transportation. However that was when McKinney was under performing and they have since pulled up their rating.

Prosper stayed under the 6A cutoff this time but will go up in the 2018 realignment. Prosper high has core facilities for around 2100 and they are at that now (2210) and will be above their capacity at the start of school next year. If you don't have a high schooler or won't have a high schooler in the next 10 years in won't matter. If you will have a high schooler there is a strong chance they get rezoned or some of their friends will...

Prosper is a good school with well above average ratings and excellent sports programs (both boys and girls).

Prosper High School in PROSPER, TX | Best High Schools | US News

You can use the USNEWS website to look up the schools within a reasonable driving distance of where you and/or your spouse will be commuting. Some schools may be too new to be listed.
I didn't realize McKinney High had grown that much in the last two years but it makes sense as the current numbers reflect the recently completed expansion. But both High and Boyd are still much smaller than Allen and the Plano high schools even though they are all 6A.


There is room for a lot more growth before a fourth high school is needed.... and if the ISD decides they want to go that route. The recent expansion of High and North was done to postpone that. Whether for a period or permanently, guess we will have to wait and see how the area continues to grow.


My daughter who is a senior at Boyd seriously considered transferring to North her junior year on the intra-district enrollment, so that was an option just two years ago. However my understanding was that it was limited to North and not the other two as they were under capacity. She had a lot more friends from middle school (Cockrell) that went to North than Boyd. But she found a home with the Drama kids and has been happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 07:42 PM
 
241 posts, read 228,280 times
Reputation: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
Prosper has a very serious problem -- their business to resident ratio is incredibly low.

Consider this -- Prosper with a population of 17000 has ZERO grocery stores. That's absurd! Yes the Kroger is being built on Preston Road but it is truly shocking that it took this long to get one in Prosper.
Actually, I think there are about 3 Krogers about to be built in Prosper after not having a grocery store for this long. They seem to have sold their souls to the Kroger devil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Dallas area, Texas
2,237 posts, read 2,764,104 times
Reputation: 3774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I didn't realize McKinney High had grown that much in the last two years but it makes sense as the current numbers reflect the recently completed expansion. But both High and Boyd are still much smaller than Allen and the Plano high schools even though they are all 6A.


There is room for a lot more growth before a fourth high school is needed.... and if the ISD decides they want to go that route. The recent expansion of High and North was done to postpone that. Whether for a period or permanently, guess we will have to wait and see how the area continues to grow.


My daughter who is a senior at Boyd seriously considered transferring to North her junior year on the intra-district enrollment, so that was an option just two years ago. However my understanding was that it was limited to North and not the other two as they were under capacity. She had a lot more friends from middle school (Cockrell) that went to North than Boyd. But she found a home with the Drama kids and has been happy.
PESH ~ 3000
PSHS ~ 2700
PWSH ~ 2750

Boyd = 2846
McKinney = 2743
North =2094

I think that High and Boyd are NOT "much smaller" then Plano Senior High Schools.

If you are talking Plano High Schools, then:
Clark ~ 1587
Jasper ~ 1350
McMillen ~ 1161
Shepton ~ 1482
Vines ~ 1160
Williams ~ 1088

Oops. The Plano high schools are much smaller than the McKinney schools.

Allen High School ~ 4763
Lowery Freshman Center ~ 1644
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:27 PM
 
35 posts, read 25,729 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
PESH ~ 3000
PSHS ~ 2700
PWSH ~ 2750

Boyd = 2846
McKinney = 2743
North =2094

I think that High and Boyd are NOT "much smaller" then Plano Senior High Schools.

If you are talking Plano High Schools, then:
Clark ~ 1587
Jasper ~ 1350
McMillen ~ 1161
Shepton ~ 1482
Vines ~ 1160
Williams ~ 1088

Oops. The Plano high schools are much smaller than the McKinney schools.

Allen High School ~ 4763
Lowery Freshman Center ~ 1644
Total enrollment for every senior high school in Plano looks high on paper but in reality students from every feeder are divided between one senior high campus (11th & 12th grades) and two junior high campuses (9th & 10th grades).

PESH has more kids because they house International Baccalaureate and Health Professions Academies as well. Each academy has few hundred students that count toward PESH's total enrollment. STEAM Academy has a separate campus so they aren't affiliated with PESH.

Last edited by Prospered; 02-12-2016 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 09:41 PM
 
35 posts, read 25,729 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegan View Post
Actually, I think there are about 3 Krogers about to be built in Prosper after not having a grocery store for this long. They seem to have sold their souls to the Kroger devil.
Every soul is for sale and bodies need groceries, sucks to drive 20 minutes to get milk and eggs. Kroger is very welcome here. Stupid pilosophy of not having stores and businesses is so 1980's. With increasing traffic, I want everything at my doorstep and I want that tax base to support town's budget. Residents aren't looking forward to property tax hikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,913 posts, read 9,602,177 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
PESH ~ 3000
PSHS ~ 2700
PWSH ~ 2750

Boyd = 2846
McKinney = 2743
North =2094

I think that High and Boyd are NOT "much smaller" then Plano Senior High Schools.

If you are talking Plano High Schools, then:
Clark ~ 1587
Jasper ~ 1350
McMillen ~ 1161
Shepton ~ 1482
Vines ~ 1160
Williams ~ 1088

Oops. The Plano high schools are much smaller than the McKinney schools.

Allen High School ~ 4763
Lowery Freshman Center ~ 1644
Yes, but the Plano HS are two grades where the McKinney schools are 4. So double the size of the sr. highs to get a more apt comparison grade wise. A graduating class from one of the three Plano Sr. highs is about double (if not more) than Boyd.

The UIL uses a 9th - 12th grade count so the Plano schools and Allen are amongst the largest in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Dallas area, Texas
2,237 posts, read 2,764,104 times
Reputation: 3774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Yes, but the Plano HS are two grades where the McKinney schools are 4. So double the size of the sr. highs to get a more apt comparison grade wise. A graduating class from one of the three Plano Sr. highs is about double (if not more) than Boyd.

The UIL uses a 9th - 12th grade count so the Plano schools and Allen are amongst the largest in the state.
I thought that we were discussing the number of students on a campus, not the number in the graduating class. So, McKinney Boyd and McKinney High each have over 2700 seniors?


I know about Plano high schools, but many people don't. UIL numbers don't reflect the real world, in the school experience for Plano students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2016, 10:44 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,913 posts, read 9,602,177 times
Reputation: 5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospered View Post
Total enrollment for every senior high school in Plano looks high on paper but in reality students from every feeder are divided between one senior high campus (11th & 12th grades) and two junior high campuses (9th & 10th grades).

PESH has more kids because they house International Baccalaureate and Health Professions Academies as well. Each academy has few hundred students that count toward PESH's total enrollment. STEAM Academy has a separate campus so they aren't affiliated with PESH.
Here are the 4 largest high schools in the state for 2014-2016 UIL alignment. Googled for the latest and can't find the breakdown even on the UIL site, just find the previous figures:

1. Allen HS 5987
2. Plano W 5531
3. Plano 5394.5
4. Plano E 5300

Don't ask me who the half student is at Plano Sr.

The fifth largest was Galena Park North Shore with 4500 something.

Remember, the UIL uses 9th thru 12th for their figures so the Allen Freshman center gets added in and the feeder high schools in Plano get added in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top