Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:51 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
I thought that we were discussing the number of students on a campus, not the number in the graduating class. So, McKinney Boyd and McKinney High each have over 2700 seniors?

I know about Plano high schools, but many people don't. UIL numbers don't reflect the real world, in the school experience for Plano students.
It is reflected in the size of each class. That is why the UIL uses a population based on the final four years as their way of making a standard for athletic classifications. Plano sr. highs have two grades. Many rural districts have K-12 on one campus. There has to be some standard, and the standard is the population for grades 9-12 whether on one campus or two.

My daughter's graduating class at Boyd in 2011 had around 660. My sons class in 2014 had grown slightly, was just shy of 700 (yes, i spent the very long service counting the names in the program). A Plano HS graduating class will be twice that.

Where do you get that Boyd has 2700 in a graduating class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 10:48 PM

35 posts, read 40,683 times
It is still a puzzle to me how Plano always manages to beat all odds and consistently produce high achieving graduates. Is it their curriculum, students, teachers, administration, parents or some potion?

Old 02-13-2016, 05:54 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
So Prosper isn't the new Southlake? Because I remember a certain poster who constantly trumpeted this at every opportunity. Only one incredible high school, no lots less than an acre, I could go on.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:31 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospered View Post
It is still a puzzle to me how Plano always manages to beat all odds and consistently produce high achieving graduates. Is it their curriculum, students, teachers, administration, parents or some potion?
Well, I do recall the milk being served in the cafeteria all those years tasting kinda funny...

Old 02-13-2016, 07:32 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
So Prosper isn't the new Southlake? Because I remember a certain poster who constantly trumpeted this at every opportunity. Only one incredible high school, no lots less than an acre, I could go on.
Pssh. You're way off. Southlake is the OLD Prosper.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:33 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Yes, but the Plano HS are two grades where the McKinney schools are 4. So double the size of the sr. highs to get a more apt comparison grade wise. A graduating class from one of the three Plano Sr. highs is about double (if not more) than Boyd.

The UIL uses a 9th - 12th grade count so the Plano schools and Allen are amongst the largest in the state.

Quote:
It is reflected in the size of each class. That is why the UIL uses a population based on the final four years as their way of making a standard for athletic classifications. Plano sr. highs have two grades. Many rural districts have K-12 on one campus. There has to be some standard, and the standard is the population for grades 9-12 whether on one campus or two.

My daughter's graduating class at Boyd in 2011 had around 660. My sons class in 2014 had grown slightly, was just shy of 700 (yes, i spent the very long service counting the names in the program). A Plano HS graduating class will be twice that.

Where do you get that Boyd has 2700 in a graduating class?
I had thought that the discussion had been about numbers of students on a campus and my prior post listed the numbers of students on Plano campuses to show that McKinney schools are not much smaller than those Plano schools. You then correct me and tell me that the graduating class IS much smaller. I figured that you must have been talking about that all along and not suddenly jumping topic.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:06 PM

117 posts, read 150,744 times
Quote:
Here are the 4 largest high schools in the state for 2014-2016 UIL alignment. Googled for the latest and can't find the breakdown even on the UIL site, just find the previous figures:

1. Allen HS 5987
2. Plano W 5531
3. Plano 5394.5
4. Plano E 5300

Don't ask me who the half student is at Plano Sr.

The fifth largest was Galena Park North Shore with 4500 something.

Remember, the UIL uses 9th thru 12th for their figures so the Allen Freshman center gets added in and the feeder high schools in Plano get added in.

Alignments — University Interscholastic League (UIL)

Use the "Rank Order" link on the right. Those are the reported number from Octobers Snapshot.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:15 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovejoy_family View Post
Alignments — University Interscholastic League (UIL)

Use the "Rank Order" link on the right. Those are the reported number from Octobers Snapshot.
Thanks, was looking for a tab with the word Enrollment.

So the top four in the state remain the same and all have grown:

Allen 6380
PWest 5648
Plano 5479.5
PEast 5329.5

Old 02-13-2016, 09:37 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
The minimum lot size in Prosper is a quarter acre with the exception of patio homes.

Prosper currently has one of the most aesthitically impressive high schools I have ever seen.If there end up being 2 I am fine with that.

At this point,I suspect Prosper will be similar to Flower Mound at build out of roughly 70,000 people with similar zoning,demographics and housing stock.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:01 AM

35 posts, read 40,683 times
It's not that having 45,000 students or several schools means that Prosper can't have a quality school district. It's just that it's not the small town, single high school community feel, which was getting compared to Highland Park or Southlake that was attracting buyers.

Now it's just another suburb only with longer commute, lack of shopping/dinning/employment opportunities and no corporate business base to support residential property taxes. Even big cheerleaders have changed their tone and now comparing it to Flower Mound instead of Highland Park and Southlake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas