U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 10:47 AM

9 posts, read 9,077 times

Advertisements

May be moving to "Dallas" and I put that in parenthasis because that could mean Dallas, Fort Worth, Irving, Richardson, etc...

What I am looking for is what are considered the higher-end neighborhoods...I have heard of "the Parks" but I am not looking to spend $1M on a home.

What I guess I really want to know is after the Parks, what areas are considered similar? Are neighborhoods more expensive in Texas based on schools, size of house or the proverbial location...If location why (closer to something?)

Also, I would like to understand why the Parks are so high end being so close to an airport...Is there not airplane noise in the area?

Thank you all so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 11:10 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,250,709 times
It's actually Park Cities (Highland Park, University Park) and -- along with Preston Hollow which is part of the city of Dallas -- are the traditional old-money neighborhoods of the Dallas area. As far as I know, airport noise is not a big issue there.

If you move here, will you be working, need schools, or need to be close to DFW Airport? Because the area sprawls so much, it's helpful to have that information so that respondents can be more helpful in suggesting neighborhoods in which to live.

Old 01-17-2015, 11:14 AM

11,674 posts, read 21,245,682 times
I think you are referring to The Park Cities (Highland Park & University Park). The Parks is a mall in Arlington

The Park Cities are expensive due to their prime location just a few miles north of downtown, as well as the fact that they are two independent towns surrounded by the city of Dallas. This means they have their own police/fire/city services as well as the top public school district in the state. It is incredibly safe and very beautiful. No, there is hardly any airport noise from Love Field because the flight paths run further south or or way west.

The Park Cities is an incredibly unique place, but definitely not the only option for someone who wants safety and good schools. If you share your budget and also where your work location is, we can make some appropriate recommendations. Generally, quality of school district is the #1 driver of home prices in DFW, aside from the city center neighborhoods in Dallas where location drives the prices up even when school quality isn't there (proximity to private schools also drives prices in some city neighborhoods where most families choose private).

Old 01-17-2015, 09:03 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,884,820 times
Lol

Old 01-18-2015, 08:17 AM

ok so Park Cities...good to know. Budget is probably under $600k and job is remote so does not matter where I live. Schools are not important except for property value so I want to live where I could resell my house fairly quickly if need be. I want to be in an area close to shopping, restaurants, etc and possibly even near a lake if it fits within the other requirements but the lake is really not necessary.

Thank you.

Old 01-18-2015, 08:56 AM

9,506 posts, read 19,515,952 times
You need to look in Lakewood, which is the area just west of White Rock Lake. It has everything you describe!

Old 01-18-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You need to look in Lakewood, which is the area just west of White Rock Lake. It has everything you describe!
That is my suggestion as well! OP, you may like a number of neighborhoods that loop around White Rock Lake in East Dallas. Great location- within 10-15 minutes of downtown, uptown, Park Cities, etc, plus tons to do/see/eat in the neighborhoods themselves. Beautiful area with lots of charming, historic homes that have been well-maintained and updated.

Neighborhoods west of the lake: M Streets (75206, south of Mockingbird, west of Skillman), Lakewood (75214, east of Abrams & south of Mockingbird), Hollywood Heights/ Santa Monica (75223)
*some of these are under contract, but gives you an idea of what $500-600k budget buys you:
M Streets:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6_M81715-37022
Lakewood:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M74164-43122

Neighborhoods east of the lake - Old Lake Highlands, Forrest Hills (75218)
Old LH is more 1940's cottages and 1950's ranches, but here is a new construction. Not much for sale right now.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8_M72757-30592

Another area you may want to look into is in 75209, the neighborhood adjacent to the Park Cities on the west side of the Tollroad. Neighborhoods are Devonshire, Briarwood, etc. 75209 Fantastic location, lots of good restaurants & shopping within easy walking distance. Houses will be smaller than in East Dallas ($/SF much higher) b/c this is a better, more central location and the land is worth more. About 15-20 minutes to White Rock Lake so if you plan to cycle, row, etc daily it won't work but if you just planned to go out on weekends, very do-able.
Devonshire:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...9_M87528-48978

Old 01-18-2015, 11:58 AM

Thank you for the in depth answers. One more question, do homes have basements in the DFW area?

Thank you

Old 01-18-2015, 12:05 PM

9,506 posts, read 19,515,952 times
As a general rule, no, homes in DFW do not have basements.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving4Fun View Post
Thank you for the in depth answers. One more question, do homes have basements in the DFW area?

Thank you
No. You'll find some in the upper end of the luxury market ($3M+ range) but in general the DFW area's soil/bedrock situation (bedrock is shallow) makes basements cost-prohibitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or