U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 11:06 AM

23,599 posts, read 31,161,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
How is this for a differing viewpoint. If I was Jewish I would not want my kids to go to Lebanon High School. That is an area of the world where a large percentage of the population wants to inflict pain on Israel. Likewise, if I was middle eastern, I would not want to attend Israel High School.

Might be sad, but it is the world we live in.
This Jew doesn't care. None of the rest of the Jews I know care either. We know that there's a "Lebanon the Country" and "Lebanon the City."

Even if people don't know that there used to be a small town named Lebanon where Frisco is now, they usually realize that it's a historical name of some kind and doesn't refer to the country nor does it imply anti-Semitism.

People really need to get a grip.

I can't speak for Arabs or Muslims (who would probably howl at a school named "Israel High") but all the Jews I know think this is a non-issue.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:41 AM

419 posts, read 1,344,954 times
I live in Frisco, my son will one day go to this high school since have no wish to move. I have no problem with the name, just people with too much time to complain.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:56 PM

502 posts, read 614,037 times
Quote:
How is this for a differing viewpoint. If I was Jewish I would not want my kids to go to Lebanon High School. That is an area of the world where a large percentage of the population wants to inflict pain on Israel. Likewise, if I was middle eastern, I would not want to attend Israel High School.

Might be sad, but it is the world we live in.
This is the most ignorant comment I've read. That may be your world but it's far from reality. A Jewish person has already addressed it and I know many Muslems who have no problem with the name Israel. In fact there is chapter in Koran titled "children of Israel". Moosa (Moses) is a pretty common Islamic name.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
This is the most ignorant comment I've read. That may be your world but it's far from reality. A Jewish person has already addressed it and I know many Muslems who have no problem with the name Israel. In fact there is chapter in Koran titled "children of Israel". Moosa (Moses) is a pretty common Islamic name.
I can't speak for every Jew in Dallas, but I did ask people at temple and most of them hadn't even heard the story. When I explained the situation to them, they laughed.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:26 PM

2,810 posts, read 3,567,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
This Jew doesn't care. None of the rest of the Jews I know care either. We know that there's a "Lebanon the Country" and "Lebanon the City."

Even if people don't know that there used to be a small town named Lebanon where Frisco is now, they usually realize that it's a historical name of some kind and doesn't refer to the country nor does it imply anti-Semitism.

People really need to get a grip.

I can't speak for Arabs or Muslims (who would probably howl at a school named "Israel High") but all the Jews I know think this is a non-issue.
Along similar lines, way north of Chicago, there is a suburb called Zion, and it houses the (now closed) Zion nuclear power plant. I'm pretty sure nobody (Muslim or otherwise) had a problem with the name. OK, maybe SOMEBODY somewhere had a problem with the name, in the sense that there's always that one crackpot wearing a sandwich board saying the world's about to end because of something or another.

Oh well, we all need to get bothered by something or another.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Along similar lines, way north of Chicago, there is a suburb called Zion, and it houses the (now closed) Zion nuclear power plant. I'm pretty sure nobody (Muslim or otherwise) had a problem with the name. OK, maybe SOMEBODY somewhere had a problem with the name, in the sense that there's always that one crackpot wearing a sandwich board saying the world's about to end because of something or another.

Oh well, we all need to get bothered by something or another.
There's a school in Dallas named Zion. It's Lutheran I think.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:06 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,431,019 times
This could be bad news for the town of Palestine, TX.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
This could be bad news for the town of Palestine, TX.
LOL good one!

Old 01-19-2015, 02:13 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,770,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
I did not mean to offend, but instead, offered a viewpoint that a school's name should not offend anyone who attends. Now you might think that the person who originally brought this issue up to the school district is ignorant and dumb, but unless you think she is a liar as well, she has 100 emails and 2 dozen phone calls from people that share her concern. That is reality.

I think school should be a fostering place for young minds to grow. If the school mascot offends, school name offends, etc., change it and move on.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:17 PM

502 posts, read 614,037 times
Quote:
I did not mean to offend, but instead, offered a viewpoint that a school's name should not offend anyone who attends. Now you might think that the person who originally brought this issue up to the school district is ignorant and dumb, but unless you think she is a liar as well, she has 100 emails and 2 dozen phone calls from people that share her concern. That is reality.

I think school should be a fostering place for young minds to grow. If the school mascot offends, school name offends, etc., change it and move on.
Your username offends me. Can you change it and move on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or