U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2015, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,192 posts, read 9,517,970 times
Reputation: 8893

Advertisements

Eh it's just Phrisceaux being Phrisceaux one first-world problem at a time. If it weren't for school names, overhead power lines, or undesirable "riff-raff" living in covenant-controlled communities what folks there do with their time? Eat in one of the 10,000 chain restaurants of course...

Last edited by bluescreen73; 01-21-2015 at 11:16 AM..

 
Old 01-21-2015, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,381,253 times
Reputation: 10188
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Eh it's just Phrisceaux being Phrisceaux one first-world problem at a time. If it weren't for school names, overhead power lines, or undesirable "riff-raff" living in covenant-controlled communities what folks there do with their time? Eat in one of the 10,000 chain restaurants of course...
Pretty rich coming from someone who lives in Aurora, CO.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Dallas
4,625 posts, read 8,565,176 times
Reputation: 3804
Well the USA is certainly the capital of misnomers. Like for example - how the hell did Amerigo Vespucci get naming rights for two continents? Kanata (Canada) is a proper Algonquin name. Anahuac is the real name of North America in Nahuatl. Turtle Island is even better.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 01:27 PM
 
25 posts, read 25,824 times
Reputation: 15
I just hope parents keep their racism to themselves and try to grow up a new generation that accepts and lives with everyone peacefully and deal with each person based on his morals and behaviors not his origins/religion/race or anything else that is actually out of his choice. I'm from the middle east and this is what I'm teaching my kids, it is disappointing having such people in my next door and I hope their kids are smarter than that!
 
Old 01-21-2015, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Southlake. Don't judge me.
2,812 posts, read 3,583,978 times
Reputation: 3601
Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
Well the USA is certainly the capital of misnomers. Like for example - how the hell did Amerigo Vespucci get naming rights for two continents?
Coulda been worse, we could've been the United States of Vespucci.

Beyond that, and addressing another point brought up - the high school is not being named "Lebanon" to honor or otherwise call attention to the country (and this is assuming that we want to attribute negatives to the country, which in at least some ways is as silly as wanting to change the name of the Russian River in CA because of Putin's actions), the name "Lebanon" is the name of the local road. It's not like they want to name it "Hezbollah High".

Eh, whatever, I don't live there so they can pretty much argue about whatever the heck they want. I'm sure there are people in every 'burb who get all up in arms about silly things ("multi-unit housing! Oh Noes! Those People will move in!" "Er, you're talking about 700K+ townhomes, you know that, right? ")
 
Old 01-21-2015, 02:01 PM
 
502 posts, read 616,880 times
Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Just because I enjoy a good debate, I will point out that the towns that you mentioned were named a 100 years ago in a different time and era. Further, no one is insinuating that anyone is less patriotic because of where they live (not sure why you dropped that nugget). In addition, I don't think that those people were trying to speak for Frisco or Texas, but merely themselves.

In the current era, we have the family of Ms. Lebanon in danger because she took a silly picture with Ms. Israel at a dumb beauty contest. We have a country/region in turmoil that celebrates suicide bombers that kills innocent women and children. Lebanon of today is not the country/region it was in biblical times, much less 100 years ago when the cities were named you referenced.

Finally, in Dallas, there is zero percent chance that a new high school would be named Robert E. Lee or Stonewall Jackson. Why? Some people would be offended by the name, or better yet, would not want to be associated with the name. Whether their feelings are justified is a legitimate question, but that does change their feelings. You might think those people are idiots, and perhaps they are, but why choose a name for a school that some people are offended by.
Since you are hell bent on changing the name, why is so hard for you to understand that Lebanon is the name of a street this HS will be built on. There are no Malcom X streets or towns in Texas hence your own argument doesn't hold. There are several Jeswish and Muslim posters responded on this thread and your post reeks of Islamophobia. There is no country that "celebrates" suicide bombers.
You haven't change your username yet since I am offended by it.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 03:27 PM
 
25 posts, read 25,824 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
This is the most ignorant comment I've read. That may be your world but it's far from reality. A Jewish person has already addressed it and I know many Muslems who have no problem with the name Israel. In fact there is chapter in Koran titled "children of Israel". Moosa (Moses) is a pretty common Islamic name.
Thanks for the nice post.. just wanted to clarify that Israel for muslims is the name of prophet Jacob and if this name is associated with anything it is associated with an honorable prophet that we love and respect as we love and respect prophets Mohamed, Jesus and Moses. I don't care if someone misused any of these honorable names after that, they still holly and respectful to me and if I disagree with something I would disagree with the actions of ignorant people and I would never take it against their religion or race.

On a side note there is no chapter named "sons of Israel" in Quran however Jacob has been mentioned in many other places and all what we have for him is love and respect.

I don't know if this discussion got out of context a little bit, It was just a nice place to iterate some views. I hope OP doesn't mind.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 04:02 PM
 
1,212 posts, read 1,778,913 times
Reputation: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Since you are hell bent on changing the name, why is so hard for you to understand that Lebanon is the name of a street this HS will be built on. There are no Malcom X streets or towns in Texas hence your own argument doesn't hold. There are several Jeswish and Muslim posters responded on this thread and your post reeks of Islamophobia. There is no country that "celebrates" suicide bombers.
You haven't change your username yet since I am offended by it.
I understand that Lebanon is the name of a street, and even the name of certain settlers, that used to live on the site 70 many years ago. I also understand that Lebanon, and the region that it is in, as we know it today, is a hotbed of violence against westerners, Christians, etc. As to your specific points:

First, you are kidding yourself if you don't think that certain parts of the world celebrate suicide bombers. Lebanon is one of them.

Second, there is a Malcolm X blvd in Dallas. The DMN ran stories about businesses moving because they did not want that name associated with their business.

Third, because a few posters on this board think it is fine does not weaken my argument. My argument is simply that a name should not be chosen if it offends any reasonable percentage of the population. In the story, 200 people had chimed in and had concerns.

Finally, when responding to your posts I have refrained from any personal attacks. This is your second personal attack against me. Evidently if someone disagrees with your position, or even questions the issues, you feel it is proper to attack that poster.

Last edited by HockDad; 01-21-2015 at 04:21 PM..
 
Old 01-21-2015, 04:56 PM
 
502 posts, read 616,880 times
Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I understand that Lebanon is the name of a street, and even the name of certain settlers, that used to live on the site 70 many years ago. I also understand that Lebanon, and the region that it is in, as we know it today, is a hotbed of violence against westerners, Christians, etc. As to your specific points:

First, you are kidding yourself if you don't think that certain parts of the world celebrate suicide bombers. Lebanon is one of them.

Second, there is a Malcolm X blvd in Dallas. The DMN ran stories about businesses moving because they did not want that name associated with their business.

Third, because a few posters on this board think it is fine does not weaken my argument. My argument is simply that a name should not be chosen if it offends any reasonable percentage of the population. In the story, 200 people had chimed in and had concerns.

Finally, when responding to your posts I have refrained from any personal attacks. This is your second personal attack against me. Evidently if someone disagrees with your position, or even questions the issues, you feel it is proper to attack that poster.
200 people (you being one) out of 150,000 population does not make a reasonable percentage. Let's go and start a petition to change the name of the town Palestine, TX since Palestine is more hostile to Israel than any other nation. I'm pretty sure reason will prevail even though you would be for it.
Show me anywhere that Lebanon as a country celebrates suicide bombings. Suicide bombings are a tool of sick and evil Al Qaeda and Taliban. If anything they are against it since they oppose Al Qaeda.
Do you know of the origin of suicide bombings? Let's start a thread that India celebrates suicide bombings.
 
Old 01-21-2015, 04:59 PM
 
20 posts, read 54,010 times
Reputation: 16
We have Hebron High School which is part of the Lewisville ISD and I'm sure it was not named after Hebron the Palestinian city in the West Bank. Opened in 1999 and I don't remember any uproar over the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top