U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-22-2015, 05:28 PM
 
502 posts, read 613,678 times
Reputation: 906

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
Funny- I cite facts and you make up stats. You were wrong about the books in Quorum, you were wrong about Malcolm X Blvd, you were wrong that a sizeable part of the country celebrates suicide bombers (see Pew study), and you were wrong to try to attribute beliefs to me that I do not hold.

Moreover, you say that there were no personal attacks- but your post accuses me of blatant hatred of entire religion and region. That is about as personal as you can get. Certainly it does not rise to the level of intelligent discourse that I often get on this board.

I look forward to you trying to refute the Pew study cited above. But while you at it- Do you know what holiday is celebrated on November 11 in Lebanon? Martyrs Day. They especially like to celebrate the death of Ahmad Kassir- a suicide bomber that blew up troops/diplomats from Israel.
You won. You get the last word. I bow to you.

 
Old 01-24-2015, 06:54 AM
 
24 posts, read 30,185 times
Reputation: 24
OP here. Wow, i had no idea this thread would go in this direction.

I do think that the protest of these Frisco parents is deeply rooted in xenophobia (due to ignorance) which is what disturbs me. As other people said, if we all took a look at ANY school name we could find something "offensive" about it..when does it end.

I seriously think the vast majority of these parents just gotten their panties in a twist because the name reminds them of the Middle East and they want nothing to do with that. They may not care about driving on Lebanon Rd but they don't want to tell people their kids go to "Lebanon High School" because that somehow seems unpatriotic (yes, insert HUGE eye roll here). It really saddens me that there seem to be huge number of people like this in the Frisco area ..who don't even know the history of the name. I bet these parents wouldn't care about their kid going to Roach Elementary, but somehow the name of a MIddle Eastern country makes their stomach turn so much they are willing to go on TV and campaign to change the name for it. I still can't believe they said "I just don't think (the name) reflects our community." Um, you mean a "anti-Muslim xenophobic one? Ok, I'll give you that"... (insert another eye roll here).

It is good to know that there many others in Frisco who think these folks are ridiculous.
 
Old 01-24-2015, 03:35 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
4,053 posts, read 4,427,547 times
Reputation: 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by train_mom View Post
OP here. Wow, i had no idea this thread would go in this direction.

I do think that the protest of these Frisco parents is deeply rooted in xenophobia (due to ignorance) which is what disturbs me. As other people said, if we all took a look at ANY school name we could find something "offensive" about it..when does it end.

I seriously think the vast majority of these parents just gotten their panties in a twist because the name reminds them of the Middle East and they want nothing to do with that. They may not care about driving on Lebanon Rd but they don't want to tell people their kids go to "Lebanon High School" because that somehow seems unpatriotic (yes, insert HUGE eye roll here). It really saddens me that there seem to be huge number of people like this in the Frisco area ..who don't even know the history of the name. I bet these parents wouldn't care about their kid going to Roach Elementary, but somehow the name of a MIddle Eastern country makes their stomach turn so much they are willing to go on TV and campaign to change the name for it. I still can't believe they said "I just don't think (the name) reflects our community." Um, you mean a "anti-Muslim xenophobic one? Ok, I'll give you that"... (insert another eye roll here).

It is good to know that there many others in Frisco who think these folks are ridiculous.
Exactly. Other than that, they have no idea why they're upset. I just hope this ends soon before it hits the national media.
 
Old 01-25-2015, 04:06 PM
 
3,098 posts, read 1,719,989 times
Reputation: 3269
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Exactly. Other than that, they have no idea why they're upset. I just hope this ends soon before it hits the national media.
Too late! The Washington Post has already covered it.

Texas parents object to name for new school: Lebanon High - The Washington Post
 
Old 01-26-2015, 10:05 AM
 
1,212 posts, read 1,769,788 times
Reputation: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by train_mom View Post
OP here. Wow, i had no idea this thread would go in this direction.

I do think that the protest of these Frisco parents is deeply rooted in xenophobia (due to ignorance) which is what disturbs me. As other people said, if we all took a look at ANY school name we could find something "offensive" about it..when does it end.

I seriously think the vast majority of these parents just gotten their panties in a twist because the name reminds them of the Middle East and they want nothing to do with that. They may not care about driving on Lebanon Rd but they don't want to tell people their kids go to "Lebanon High School" because that somehow seems unpatriotic (yes, insert HUGE eye roll here). It really saddens me that there seem to be huge number of people like this in the Frisco area ..who don't even know the history of the name. I bet these parents wouldn't care about their kid going to Roach Elementary, but somehow the name of a MIddle Eastern country makes their stomach turn so much they are willing to go on TV and campaign to change the name for it. I still can't believe they said "I just don't think (the name) reflects our community." Um, you mean a "anti-Muslim xenophobic one? Ok, I'll give you that"... (insert another eye roll here).

It is good to know that there many others in Frisco who think these folks are ridiculous.
You make two huge leaps when you assume that: 1) parents think it is unpatriotic to attend the school, and 2) that the parents are all anti-muslim xenophopic that oppose the name. However, you are 100% correct that a portion of the parents see no need to name a school that shares a name with a portion of the world that is troubled.

If Brigham Young would have stopped here on his way to Salt Lake and started a community in Frisco, I would be opposed to naming the new high school Brigham Young High School. Not because I have any problems with Mormons (I think they are honorable folks), but instead, I would not want to select a name that may be offensive to a portion of the students who are going to attend. To take it one step farther, if the community wanted to name the school after Edwin Moses (famous athlete) or Jesus Trevino (director) I would be opposed to those names as well because it could make some people uncomfortable going to a school with those names in its name.
 
Old 01-27-2015, 01:06 AM
 
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
4,128 posts, read 13,161,347 times
Reputation: 2527
I feel bad for the kids of those parents. What are they being taught at home?

Naima
 
Old 01-27-2015, 07:20 AM
 
1,212 posts, read 1,769,788 times
Reputation: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
I feel bad for the kids of those parents. What are they being taught at home?

Naima
I hope that they are being taught that, in regards to public names, you should be sensitive to everyone's feelings and POV. I further hope that they are being taught that you should be able to have intelligent discourse on a subject without someone referring to you as a racist or hater. In addition, I hope that they are having in depth conversations concerning Islamic fanaticism and issues that are occurring in Lebanon, Palestine, France, Russia, China and the United States. Further, I hope that they are having conversations concerning Islam and how many people that follow that faith believe in actions that conflict with our Western beliefs concerning equality (arranged marriages, woman can't drive in Saudi Arabia, the girl in Pakistan that won the noble peace prize after acid was tossed in face because she wanted to go to school, the massive kidnappings in Nigeria concerning, in part, girls going to school, etc). Finally, I hope that they are having discussions that we should love each other, respect each other, and be open-minded concerning other peoples' beliefs.
 
Old 01-27-2015, 05:51 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,446,220 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
I am Lebanese myself and I find it crazy that people are so crazy about this name. They want to name it "Freedom High School". Why not just name it "Jesus Christ High School" or "David Duke High School" or "Cross Burning White Redneck in Cowboy Hat High School". Its xenophobic.

Im not Muslim, I walk a fine line between being Christian and anti-religion, but Lebanon is the name of a street. People cannot comprehend that?
That's the thing that got me the most. They wanted to change it to Freedom High School. Absolutely hilarious. I burst out laughing when I heard their suggested name.
 
Old 01-27-2015, 06:34 PM
 
502 posts, read 613,678 times
Reputation: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post
I hope that they are being taught that, in regards to public names, you should be sensitive to everyone's feelings and POV. I further hope that they are being taught that you should be able to have intelligent discourse on a subject without someone referring to you as a racist or hater. In addition, I hope that they are having in depth conversations concerning Islamic fanaticism and issues that are occurring in Lebanon, Palestine, France, Russia, China and the United States. Further, I hope that they are having conversations concerning Islam and how many people that follow that faith believe in actions that conflict with our Western beliefs concerning equality (arranged marriages, woman can't drive in Saudi Arabia, the girl in Pakistan that won the noble peace prize after acid was tossed in face because she wanted to go to school, the massive kidnappings in Nigeria concerning, in part, girls going to school, etc). Finally, I hope that they are having discussions that we should love each other, respect each other, and be open-minded concerning other peoples' beliefs.
Get off your high horse. We get it that you have a problem with an entire religion. Nothing can change your views. It amazes me this kind of hatred coming from a minority. I'm not going to judge you based upon what Chinese government does and the kind of human rights record they have, because that would be stupid of me (honestly I don't even know that you are Chinese, you had said Asian). And don't get me started on dark history of Christianity itself.
I am genuinely offended by your username. I hope you are sensitive to it and change it. I'm waiting.
 
Old 01-27-2015, 08:07 PM
 
1,212 posts, read 1,769,788 times
Reputation: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Get off your high horse. We get it that you have a problem with an entire religion. Nothing can change your views. It amazes me this kind of hatred coming from a minority. I'm not going to judge you based upon what Chinese government does and the kind of human rights record they have, because that would be stupid of me (honestly I don't even know that you are Chinese, you had said Asian). And don't get me started on dark history of Christianity itself.
I am genuinely offended by your username. I hope you are sensitive to it and change it. I'm waiting.
There was a fantastic editorial in the Sunday edition of the DMN stating, in part, that people should not be afraid to criticize Islamic Fanaticism. It was written by a Muslim woman that was offended that anytime that people criticize the religion people are instantly accused of being racists or xenophobic.

Further, I have no problem if you want to judge China, South Korea, or Japan. Each of the countries are certainly subject to criticism and I certainly would not be offended if you stated: 1) Chinese human rights are a joke and the people have no freedom of religion or press, 2) Japan has a relatively recent history of war atrocities that are only rivaled by Germany, or 3) South Korea's government is corrupt and controlled by a relatively small number of families that benefit greatly while the poor suffer. By making these criticisms I would not believe that makes you a racist, but instead, stating objective facts.

In addition, if you want to criticize the dark history of Christianity, or even its recent dark period, I would be ok with your criticism. I would not accuse you of hating all Christians.

Finally, can you explain to me why my user name offends you? You have a real problem with Hockaday? Or do you just think you are being funny by commenting on my user name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top