U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 10:43 AM

10 posts, read 8,993 times

Advertisements

Similarities? differences? Pros and cons? Which has more tolerable summers? Cost of living seems to be about the same. N. Dallas seems to have better schools in areas with more affordable homes, while in S. Charlotte the best schools are only where home prices are very high.

Has anyone lived in both that can give me some observations?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 11:09 AM

7,279 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawks77 View Post
Similarities? differences? Pros and cons? Which has more tolerable summers? Cost of living seems to be about the same. N. Dallas seems to have better schools in areas with more affordable homes, while in S. Charlotte the best schools are only where home prices are very high.

Cost of living is bit higher in Charlotte but it's close. Taxes are quite a bit lower in Texas.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:43 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,447,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Cost of living is bit higher in Charlotte but it's close. Taxes are quite a bit lower in Texas.
OP, I would take this comment with a BIG grain of salt. It will be followed with some abolutely irrelevant online cost of living calculators, that don't factor in why places are cheap.

Can you get a cheap house in Dallas? Yes, but the schools, crime, location, and nearby retail will be the reason. The Dallas area is huge, and there are large parts of it that get factored in COL calculators that bring down the average. Don't expect to be getting more for less.

Quote:
Similarities?
They really aren't much alike.
differences?
Dallas is way bigger, has way more amenities.
Charlotte is closer to the coast. It's really easy getting around there. It's a great location for anyone who likes to take road trips.

Pros and cons?
You would have to give us more information.

Why are you moving here?

Do you have a job in Dallas? If not, don't come here.

Will you be leaving family up there?

What is your budget for housing?

Which has more tolerable summers?
Charlotte

Cost of living seems to be about the same. N. Dallas seems to have better schools in areas with more affordable homes, while in S. Charlotte the best schools are only where home prices are very high.
Do your own research on this. Keep in mind how much bigger the lots are up there. Also keep in mind how little traffic you guys have compared to here.

You'll find the same is true here. Areas with good schools will be more expensive, and have a higher price per square foot. There are also many tollways here, and it's very spread out and you'll be driving a lot if you pick a home far from work.

No, I lived in Raleigh for a while, and spent only a weekend in Charlotte. I don't think Dallas and Charlotte are much alike.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:23 PM

7,279 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
OP, I would take this comment with a BIG grain of salt. It will be followed with some abolutely irrelevant online cost of living calculators, that don't factor in why places are cheap.

Can you get a cheap house in Dallas? Yes, but the schools, crime, location, and nearby retail will be the reason. The Dallas area is huge, and there are large parts of it that get factored in COL calculators that bring down the average. Don't expect to be getting more for less.

No, I lived in Raleigh for a while, and spent only a weekend in Charlotte. I don't think Dallas and Charlotte are much alike.
Not sure what your problem is Ronnie.

1. The C2ER figures I post sometimes are the best figures of their type available anywhere. Every city of any size is going to have good and bad neighborhoods and correspondingly different related prices. That is included in the data intentionally. You not understanding that is your problem not mine.
2. I have a masters from one of the best econ. programs on earth so I know how to use relevant data sets.
3. The OP said prices in Dallas and Charlotte seemed similar and I agreed with her.
4. If you want to argue that taxes are lower in NC/Charlotte go ahead.

Old 01-20-2015, 12:35 PM

19,631 posts, read 53,468,042 times
I used to visit in Charlotte and it is waaay more humid than Dallas.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-20-2015 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 02:50 PM

Job is remote, so we can live in either location without commuting. I've looked at homes and schools in both - so when I compare COL, I'm looking at areas that seem to be a wash quality-wise. Family is on the West Coast, so neither place is good or bad for that. I also think the income tax and property tax differences seem to cancel each other out.

I'm interested in a friendly, active community feel with people who are educated, down to earth, and genuine. S. Charlotte feels a bit sleepy to me, but maybe N Dallas is too busy? I like driving through neighborhoods and seeing kids outside playing and parents outside chatting or walking dogs.

I thought Dallas was hotter but drier, making it more comfortable, but I could be wrong.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:06 PM

2,172 posts, read 4,248,304 times
If your family is on the West Coast then Dallas is a much better location than Charlotte. Flights are going to be shorter and less expensive.

Also, DFW is a much larger metro area than Charlotte so there's going to be more going on, more things to do, and probably more employment opportunities if you decide to leave your current gig.

Carolina summers are going to be more humid though Dallas summers may have higher temperatures. I've never spent the winter in the Carolinas but I'm guessing they are sort of similar -- generally mild with the occasional cold snap/sleet/ice. In terms of weather, it's probably a wash.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM

88 posts, read 100,914 times
Quote:

We currently live in Charlotte and are moving to Dallas this summer. Charlotte is by far the prettier city. People claim that it is humid but it isn't that bad especially compared to places like Houston. S Charlotte has great schools and affordable housing. You can also look at Union County (Weddington Schools). The taxes are lower than Charlotte and you can live just over the county border. I would check out Marvin Schools. In don't know your budget but you can check the Hunter Oaks and Somerset neighborhoods.

I think Dallas has a slightly higher cost of living even without state income tax. That being said....flights in and out of Charlotte are pricey and depending on where on the west coast your family lives you may have a tough time finding a nonstop flight.

Charlotte is definitely a smaller city but there are a lot of pluses. It is very family friendly. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:32 PM

Msc31- thanks. I've been told that union county will be redrawing the attendance lines for the good schools a lot in the next 5 years, but that they want to build more schools in the future. My boys are 5th and 7th grade, so I don't want them moving around a lot. Maybe if they were younger it wouldn't be so bad.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:31 PM

766 posts, read 1,301,213 times
Quote:
...friendly, active community feel with people who are educated, down to earth, and genuine. S. Charlotte feels a bit sleepy to me, but maybe N Dallas is too busy? I like driving through neighborhoods and seeing kids outside playing and parents outside chatting or walking dogs.
I don't think I'd ever call Dallas "down to earth and genuine". Lots of plastic surgery, fancy clothes/cars/houses, $30k millionaires, etc. Of course there are down to earth and genuine individuals everywhere you go, but they would be in the minority here unless you're further out in the country areas.

The people here are very courteous and friendly.

Active and educated. I suppose the northern suburbs and parts of the city are more "educated". What does "educated" mean? A: I graduated from college and married my high school sweetheart before I started having kids at 23 or B: I had kids, then went to college while my parents took care of them? (It's a sore spot for me since I've been getting confused with being a Mimi a few too many times are the park.) Active - Dallas is on the fattest cities list, but there are also plenty of active people riding bike, rowing, and exercising (no lack to fitness facilities). There are 50-80 cyclists that riding past my house on Sunday mornings coming 20 miles from Dallas.

Kids just aren't playing outside that much anymore - in any given city, on any given street you might find kids playing, but a block away there won't be anyone outside. Two reasons - some families just don't "play" outside, it's just not their culture OR the kids are involved in lots of activities and parents are busy. I've got kids, but they're only outside running between the houses between 4:30 and 6 (after school, before practice/dinner/game) or randomly on the weekends. During the summer, most families have 2 working parents, so my kiddos are mostly on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or