U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:36 PM

2,444 posts, read 1,735,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
No EDS you have no idea what you're talking about, just like virtually no computer can "take advantage" of 1 GBPS speeds.....

I think getting even 800mbs is greater than 100mbs.
Again, you misunderstand. 800Mbps was achieved in a lab under perfect conditions. You won't get anywhere near that in real life. So why be excited about something you won't or can't use? It's like paying for a Ferrari but then having a speed limiter installed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 PM

7,295 posts, read 8,136,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I didn't misread. I've seen the pricing. They may be quoting you a promo rate, but it's going to go up after year in that case.

Edit - or you're being quoted the price that allows AT&T to monitor your Internet usage.
I have service. I'm using it right now.

It may go up but the spread between 100mbps and 1gps is not and is not going to be $300mo. as you read.

I've had the, "special promo" rate from ATT for years. It takes a 30 second call annually to get keep.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Again, you misunderstand. 800Mbps was achieved in a lab under perfect conditions. You won't get anywhere near that in real life. So why be excited about something you won't or can't use? It's like paying for a Ferrari but then having a speed limiter installed.
He was joking with you.

Here is what I know regarding my ATT 100Mbps fibre service.
1. We have fiber to the house
2. We have CAT-6 throughout the house with ten ethernet outlets
3. Using a 2014 Apple Airport Extreme with the latest updates/firmware
4. Speed verified with Speedtest.net

Whether I use any of the ethernet outlets (via a CAT-5e, I think, ethernet to Thunderbolt cable) or the Airport Extreme I get 117/118Mbps dl and 116.5/117.5Mbps ul every time excepting what had to be a single dud test at 6Mbps. The tight speed results have been very surprising to me.

One of my wife's tech guys who is also a pretty good friend of mine told me if I upgrade whatever speed the fiber delivers to my house I should expect my CAT-6 to deliver everywhere in the house up to way over 1Gbps with zero loss.

They's tested ATT 1Gbps through a couple of different wireless set-ups including a Apple AE and an iMac and they get between 390Mbps and 450Mbps nearly all the time - wirelessly.

I think I'm going to try the faster speed tomorrow.

Also I've downloaded a number of very dense hi-rez music files and couple of movies there is no doubt that 100Mbps is much faster viscerally than the 20Mbps service I had until last week.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:41 AM

401 posts, read 525,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
He was joking with you.

Here is what I know regarding my ATT 100Mbps fibre service.
1. We have fiber to the house
2. We have CAT-6 throughout the house with ten ethernet outlets
3. Using a 2014 Apple Airport Extreme with the latest updates/firmware
4. Speed verified with Speedtest.net

Whether I use any of the ethernet outlets (via a CAT-5e, I think, ethernet to Thunderbolt cable) or the Airport Extreme I get 117/118Mbps dl and 116.5/117.5Mbps ul every time excepting what had to be a single dud test at 6Mbps. The tight speed results have been very surprising to me.

One of my wife's tech guys who is also a pretty good friend of mine told me if I upgrade whatever speed the fiber delivers to my house I should expect my CAT-6 to deliver everywhere in the house up to way over 1Gbps with zero loss.

They's tested ATT 1Gbps through a couple of different wireless set-ups including a Apple AE and an iMac and they get between 390Mbps and 450Mbps nearly all the time - wirelessly.

I think I'm going to try the faster speed tomorrow.

Also I've downloaded a number of very dense hi-rez music files and couple of movies there is no doubt that 100Mbps is much faster viscerally than the 20Mbps service I had until last week.
Which content are you streaming or downloading which gives you a true 1Gbps throughput? I honestly think it's a waste of money at this moment to even spend money for 1Gbps speed..... may be 3 to 5 years later it may become common due to multiple high bandwidth 4K video streams in one house.

I know there are people out there who likes to say they have Gigabit internet speed at home and would spend fortunes for it with no legit. reason.

It's only my personal opinion..... no punt intended

Old 01-22-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
Which content are you streaming or downloading which gives you a true 1Gbps throughput? I honestly think it's a waste of money at this moment to even spend money for 1Gbps speed..... may be 3 to 5 years later it may become common due to multiple high bandwidth 4K video streams in one house.

I know there are people out there who likes to say they have Gigabit internet speed at home and would spend fortunes for it with no legit. reason.

It's only my personal opinion..... no punt intended
I didn't say I used content with true 1Gbps throughput. Heck as of now the best I can dl is ~117Mbps. Some of the hi-rez music sites I buy from seem to be very fast.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:48 PM

401 posts, read 525,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I didn't say I used content with true 1Gbps throughput. Heck as of now the best I can dl is ~117Mbps. Some of the hi-rez music sites I buy from seem to be very fast.
that's why I said I honestly don't think there is any need of single home owner to have 1Gbps downstream. Probably 100 or 200 Mbps is more desirable then 1Gbps at this point.

Old 01-23-2015, 02:14 PM

931 posts, read 1,745,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_cowboy View Post
that's why I said I honestly don't think there is any need of single home owner to have 1Gbps downstream. Probably 100 or 200 Mbps is more desirable then 1Gbps at this point.

DSL Reports show lots of tests that are on or very close to the mark.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:04 AM

114 posts, read 140,252 times
Update to my first post: I saw crews yesterday laying out fiber optic cable around Main st and Twin Falls dr. They said it will take them 2-3 weeks to bury the cable.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:15 PM

147 posts, read 81,771 times
is it available everywhere in frisco or still waiting for it

Old 05-26-2017, 11:57 AM

532 posts, read 319,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuninja View Post
is it available everywhere in frisco or still waiting for it
I have friends in Frisco and I'm in McKinney. We have all been told by AT&T that their Gigapower is coming "soon" for years. Meanwhile we're all stuck at about 40 mbps down, which translates to usually about 25 mbps actual download speeds. Which doesn't cut it in this era of 4k video streaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas